Why are there no vanilla android rom's?

Search This thread

tkuligowski

Jan 31, 2012
Lincoln
So very few devices have just vanilla android. Im curious if android is open source and you have an unlocked bootloader why cant you just download the os from google and put it on your phone? Does it have to do with android not coming with drivers for all the different hardware on different phones?

Also, why arent there just plain gingerbread roms or ics roms for phones that have no skin since you apparently cant just put the plain os on your phone unless it came that way?
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

thelowend

Jan 31, 2012
The cold part of Ohio
So very few devices have just vanilla android. Im curious if android is open source and you have an unlocked bootloader why cant you just download the os from google and put it on your phone? Does it have to do with android not coming with drivers for all the different hardware on different phones?

Also, why arent there just plain gingerbread roms or ics roms for phones that have no skin since you apparently cant just put the plain os on your phone unless it came that way?

yeah...I can see you havent been around to X2 Development...we kind of dont have an unlocked bootloader. And I do believe we have a semi "vanilla" rom.

tkuligowski

Jan 31, 2012
Lincoln
yeah...I can see you havent been around to X2 Development...we kind of dont have an unlocked bootloader. And I do believe we have a semi "vanilla" rom.

No im quite aware we dont have an unlocked bootloader. I guess my question was more of an android in general question. Ive lurked on the forums for a while I wasnt aware of an almost vanilla rom.

No im quite aware we dont have an unlocked bootloader. I guess my question was more of an android in general question. Ive lurked on the forums for a while I wasnt aware of an almost vanilla rom.

I take it you mean how come we don't (every Android device) have ability to use either the skinned Android version or a choice to use stock Android?
Its cuz companies haven't gotten to the point where they care enough about what their customers want, they just want to differentiate their device from other companies

tkuligowski

Jan 31, 2012
Lincoln
I take it you mean how come we don't (every Android device) have ability to use either the skinned Android version or a choice to use stock Android?
Its cuz companies haven't gotten to the point where they care enough about what their customers want, they just want to differentiate their device from other companies

Yeah...i guess to me since phones are basically mini computers now I dont see why you cant just load the stock os on it. I mean if I buy a laptop or pc its going to come with windows...whatever brand it is it will have windows. It might have some crap on it but I can uninstall that stuff or just load windows oem on it and use my product key. I dont get why android isnt like this. Whatever phone you get you should just be able to download the os from google and load it on your phone, especially if you have a phone with an unlocked bootloader.