How to change the time on when you need to fingerprint unlock.

Search This thread

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
Not making sense my title. My friend just bought a GS5 for AT&T.. I have mine for T-mobile. He swiped his fingerprint to unlock his phone, then like 5 minutes later I picked it up to play with it, turned it on thinking I would need his finger print, but i didn't.. Just swiped to unlock.

He said he forgot where the setting is, but he doesn't have to swipe his finger every time the screen is off.. I do. and its kind of annoying.

Where is this setting pleasee???

Aug 2, 2011
I would imagine that he doesn't have the setting to lock automatically when he hits the power button selected.

Sent from my SM-G900V using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397941457341.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397941457341.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 208

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
ok here is the deal. I was able to find where I can have my phone lock with the finger printer after xx amount of time ( I set mine for 30 minutes ) but!!!!! What he has.. When he turns his display off and back on, he has to swipe to open it. Like a typical unlock, after 30 minutes though, his will require a finger print.

now with mine, after I finger print it, I turn the display back on and its just ON. I don't like that because of butt dialing or any other issues. I want to be able to swipe to open, after 30 minutes finger print.
We played with his today trying to find where he made those settings and he can't find it now.

ARGGG!! this is so annoying, lol

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
look.. It's this easy.

On his GS5. when he powers off his screen with the sleep button, and turns it right back on, he has to swipe to unlock. But every 30 minutes, he has to use his finger print.

Get it?? so if I'm driving home from work and unlock my phone 3-7 times, I don't want to have to use a finger print to do it, but I do want to swipe to unlock.

but every 30 minutes of inactive use, it will automatically lock to a finger print.

His is set this way, how is this done!

accrews2001

Aug 6, 2010
Fort Worth, TX

I realize this is annoying to you but your response to someone trying to help you was rude.

I also don't see anywhere other than the lock screen settings to manage your security settings. Mine also works like your friends, seemingly by default. The only thing I can suggest is to change the security to swipe and then back to fingerprint. Maybe it's some kind of glitch you found.

Sent from my AT&T GS5

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
I realize this is annoying to you but your response to someone trying to help you was rude.

I also don't see anywhere other than the lock screen settings to manage your security settings. Mine also works like your friends, seemingly by default. The only thing I can suggest is to change the security to swipe and then back to fingerprint. Maybe it's some kind of glitch you found.

Sent from my AT&T GS5

It's a forum, it's read differently to some people, it wasn't meant as rude. Although the reply was extremely basic, I know how to get into my security settings.

What I'm asking seems harder to find then a noob trying to root his phone. It is frustrating. It's a basic feature and I'd love to have it :)

aminhasi22

Jul 2, 2012
Hello,

Go to lockscreen setting and set the lock automatically time to 30 mins. Also you will find an iption below stating lock instantly with power button, disable that option and you are done. Your phone will lock to fingerprint oly after 30 minutes of inactivity

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
[quote name="accrews2001" post=52119940]I realize this is annoying to you but your response to someone trying to help you was rude.

Sent from my AT&T GS5

It's a forum, it's read differently to some people, it wasn't meant as rude. Although the reply was extremely basic, I know how to get into my security settings.

What I'm asking seems harder to find then a noob trying to root his phone. It is frustrating. It's a basic feature and I'd love to have it :)[/QUOTE]

Still not helping.. Again...

When I shut my screen off with the power button and turn it back on, it just turns on without any swiping needed. After 30 minutes finger print is needed.. But I want to have to swipe to unlock my phone, finger print within 30 minutes!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
Maybe he has an app that does it?

77789-kramer-mind-blown-gif-vynA.gif

This is how I feel right now :(

I'm on XDA forums, not some kiddy site and we can't figure this out.

someone mentioned it was a bug, maybe that is true? But I would love to see if someone can confirm this. Is it a bug. Is it simply NOT possible?

Do people understand what I'm saying?

It's not an app. He literally just bought the phone that day! He still talks about it with me all the time. I laugh at how the genius's here can't figure this thing out.

I mean.. Maybe I start a thread, "What do you use to unlock your phone"
I can't see people using fingerprint EVERYTIME to just open the phone for a second. It takes too long.

I think most people just don't even use the fingerprint option and thats why this thread is lacking any replies. :(

WePlay

Feb 4, 2011
I use fingeprint all the time. I have looked at all my settings and cant find any options to set swipe as temporary lock screen.

I wish I could as I would like that option too. However I dont think that fingerprint takes too long. I just swipe my thomb and the phone opens.

pennywisdom

May 5, 2006
Your problem sounds like something is preventing the phone from even locking. I had a similar issue on my Galaxy S4. There's an app called Swann View Plus that I would use for viewing our cameras at work. For some reason, whenever I opened it, clicked back to home, and then locked the screen, when I woke up the phone I would not have to swipe to unlock, it would just be there at the home screen.

Now I have the same app on my Galaxy S5 and it doesn't do that, however I would look towards some kind of app causing this issue. Wipe your device to factory and check to see if it is still doing the same thing as it is now, or if it does as your friend's does which is also what mine does.

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
I use fingeprint all the time. I have looked at all my settings and cant find any options to set swipe as temporary lock screen.

I wish I could as I would like that option too. However I dont think that fingerprint takes too long. I just swipe my thomb and the phone opens.
He he he say what?? An app is causing what issue?? Finding where the setting is?

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

WePlay

Feb 4, 2011
He he he say what?? An app is causing what issue?? Finding where the setting is?

No. I doesnt mention any app.
My phone does the same as yours. But I would like the same setting as your friend. I just say I have looked at all my settings in the phone and cant find any setting to set it like your friend.