Cell Signal on Stock Rom vs AOSP Rom

Search This thread

vx2ko

Aug 10, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I have not seen a unified discussion on this issue yet, only fragments in other forums. I know it is a known issue but it is hardly discussed. I've noticed that the cell signal on stock LG roms are MUCH better than on AOSP/CM11. This is causing issues with my phone constantly refreshing. I dont get very good signal in my office already, but I can make calls and text still. When im on an AOSP or CM11 based rom, it all fails. Also when im on AOSP or CM11 it will connect to the network then instantly disconnect and go into roaming mode then repeat this over and over again. I just want to know if this is a known issue or if there is some kind of fix.

Mightycaptain

May 19, 2013
Morganton, NC
I have not seen a unified discussion on this issue yet, only fragments in other forums. I know it is a known issue but it is hardly discussed. I've noticed that the cell signal on stock LG roms are MUCH better than on AOSP/CM11. This is causing issues with my phone constantly refreshing. I dont get very good signal in my office already, but I can make calls and text still. When im on an AOSP or CM11 based rom, it all fails. Also when im on AOSP or CM11 it will connect to the network then instantly disconnect and go into roaming mode then repeat this over and over again. I just want to know if this is a known issue or if there is some kind of fix.

It's related to multisim merges from cyanogenmod. Seems to affect Verizon mostly and 3g. As of right now no fix that I'm aware of. LS doesn't have this bug. It helps to allow roaming. As far as signal bars alone don't tell the whole story. The phone usually gets the same signal check it out with an app called advanced signal status. But aosp has always been slower with data handoffs from 3g to 4g or from WiFi to mobile. But not to say you aren't seeing these issues where aosp can't make calls where stock can but for me I can make calls and use data in all the same places. And I live in a low signal area.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

vx2ko

Aug 10, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Very helpful info. Nice to finally have solid evidence to my issue. I don't mind the roaming bit. Its the constant switching from low signal to no service that I get that bothers me. It refreshes every app I'm in every time it does it. Its bearable but annoying as hell.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
Very helpful info. Nice to finally have solid evidence to my issue. I don't mind the roaming bit. Its the constant switching from low signal to no service that I get that bothers me. It refreshes every app I'm in every time it does it. Its bearable but annoying as hell.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Are you basing this off of bars or db? Aosp Roms typically show less bars for me then stock but the db only varies about -5

The 3g roaming issue is because of cm screwing some files for the vs. It also caused no apn found issue too. Until cm fixes the issue it shall remain.

Turn on allow data while roaming (because the roaming is only cosmetic) and data should work as it normally would.

Sent from my VS980 4G

vx2ko

Aug 10, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I'm basing it off the bars. Either way it is constantly switching and refreshing my apps. On my stock ROM I get signal with no switching in my office.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
I'm basing it off the bars. Either way it is constantly switching and refreshing my apps. On my stock ROM I get signal with no switching in my office.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Try turning on data while roaming, and see if that stops it from refreshing.

Sent from my VS980 4G

vx2ko

Aug 10, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Try turning on data while roaming, and see if that stops it from refreshing.

Sent from my VS980 4G

Seeing how its CM source related and almost all the current AOSP kitkat roms are based on that source, I went back to stock for now. Much more stability with no cell signal issue. Seems like ill have to be patient before we get any kind of stability improvements.