Bricked my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 ....

Search This thread

Mjaaay

Jul 5, 2014
Hello XDA.. my first time rooting and I think i bricked my new Galaxy Tab S 8.4

I followed the guide here: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/development/root-cf-autoroot-t700-t2805366

I booted my tab S into download mode, clicked volume up, then clicked AP on Odin 3.09 and chose the "CF_AutoRoot_Port_T700_BeansTown106.tar" file. The tab then went into ODIN MODE and says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!"
I then clicked Start on Odin and it said something along the lines All threads complete.

But after 15 minutes my Tab is still in the exact same screen as described after clicking volume up. Now I have deplugged the USB cable and the Tab is frozen in this screen. I've tried a lot of combinations to try and restart my Tab but nothing works...

combinations I tried: volume up + power + home / volume up + power / power / volume down + power + home / volume down + power (all for around 15~30 seconds)

I'm quite sad, I don't know what I did wrong, the steps were quite unclear in the guide since it assumes everyone to be an expert in rooting, and if rooting is supposed to be this difficult, then I will stay away from rooting if I can ever fix my Tab.

Does anyone know how to save my Tab?

edit: here's a pic of my tab: http://imgur.com/fZtvUXV

Last edited:

Mjaaay

Jul 5, 2014

I followed the guide here: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/development/root-cf-autoroot-t700-t2805366

I booted my tab S into download mode, clicked volume up, then clicked AP on Odin 3.09 and chose the "CF_AutoRoot_Port_T700_BeansTown106.tar" file. The tab then went into ODIN MODE and says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!"
I then clicked Start on Odin and it said something along the lines All threads complete.

But after 15 minutes my Tab is still in the exact same screen as described after clicking volume up. Now I have deplugged the USB cable and the Tab is frozen in this screen. I've tried a lot of combinations to try and restart my Tab but nothing works...

combinations I tried: volume up + power + home / volume up + power / power / volume down + power + home / volume down + power (all for around 15~30 seconds)

I'm quite sad, I don't know what I did wrong, the steps were quite unclear in the guide since it assumes everyone to be an expert in rooting, and if rooting is supposed to be this difficult, then I will stay away from rooting if I can ever fix my Tab.

edit2: nevermind, i fixed it. i also rooted it. the guide is super unfriendly to newbies, just fyi to those who's thinking rooting, be careful if ur not experienced.

Reactions: LadyAngler

Mjaaay

Jul 5, 2014
I'm glad you got your tablet fixed! ?
What do you think went wrong?

There are perhaps 2-3 hidden steps in that guide that the author doesn't tell you about.

1: Don't have you device plugged until Odin is loaded with the file
2: Confirm that Odin has detected your Tab after plugging it in
3: ONLY click start on Odin after it has detected your Tab with that light-blue/yellow box

Those 3 steps are already "assumed" that users know, and in my case, I clicked start before Odin detected my Tab. My PC didn't detect my Tab because the driver that detects Galaxy Tab S wasn't installed (yet I could access my Galaxy Tab S with that same PC). Perhaps when rooting, the PC uses a driver different from the default USB driver that lets you explore files.

So my device was frozen for nearly an hour and when I tried pressed the power + volume down button TOGETHER (not power + volume down, but TOGETHER at the SAME time), it rebooted.

Nothing was wrong with my device, just lack of understanding of how rooting is supposed to go. The guides here are too advanced and I understand why a lot of my colleagues refuses to root... there's a lot of "you should already know how to do this" etc when i read over this thread for the 10.5 root guide: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/development/root-cf-autoroot-t800-t2802916

Reactions: Johnnyboy84

xRevilatioNx

Jul 15, 2012
That's why I asked for a video tutorial for us newbs. So we can see exactly how it should be done. ?

Mjaaay

Jul 5, 2014

Mjaaay

Jul 5, 2014
Should? How? Perhaps you missed thatBeantown106 says in both of root his threads that he/she doesn't own the device.

those steps appears to be universal for rooting.

and in Beantown's guide, the title of it says ROOT INSTRUCTIONS. Let me paste it for you.

Rooting Instructions
1.Boot into Download mode (see methods above)
2.Flash CF_AutoRoot_Port_T800_BeansTown106.tar.md5 with Odin v3.09 (put in AP slot, don't change any other settings, click start)
3.Let it do its trick! Confirm root!
4.Reboot into recovery mode and confirm stock recoverys presence
That's all! Enjoy Root!

Do you see the part where it says "That's all!"? That tells every reader of that thread, that his rooting instructions is "all there is to know".

Reactions: mitchellvii

xRevilatioNx

Jul 15, 2012
Bean is awesome at what he does with root & roms. But giving instructions is absolutely not his forte... Lol.

qngds

Mar 19, 2008
Tampa
My point was he/she could've hardly done a video on a device he didn't own. Generally videos include both the boot into recovery (which you need the device to demonstrate), and walking thru odin.

No doubt the underlying assumption to the flashing posts were, if you got to this device, you've rooted at least one device prior to this. Prior experience is taken for granted.

Glad you got your device going:) The next will be easier!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

edit2: nevermind, i fixed it. i also rooted it. the guide is super unfriendly to newbies, just fyi to those who's thinking rooting, be careful if ur not experienced.
    I'm glad you got your tablet fixed! ?
    What do you think went wrong?

There are perhaps 2-3 hidden steps in that guide that the author doesn't tell you about.

1: Don't have you device plugged until Odin is loaded with the file
    2: Confirm that Odin has detected your Tab after plugging it in
    3: ONLY click start on Odin after it has detected your Tab with that light-blue/yellow box

Those 3 steps are already "assumed" that users know, and in my case, I clicked start before Odin detected my Tab. My PC didn't detect my Tab because the driver that detects Galaxy Tab S wasn't installed (yet I could access my Galaxy Tab S with that same PC). Perhaps when rooting, the PC uses a driver different from the default USB driver that lets you explore files.

So my device was frozen for nearly an hour and when I tried pressed the power + volume down button TOGETHER (not power + volume down, but TOGETHER at the SAME time), it rebooted.

Nothing was wrong with my device, just lack of understanding of how rooting is supposed to go. The guides here are too advanced and I understand why a lot of my colleagues refuses to root... there's a lot of "you should already know how to do this" etc when i read over this thread for the 10.5 root guide: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/development/root-cf-autoroot-t800-t2802916
    Should? How? Perhaps you missed thatBeantown106 says in both of root his threads that he/she doesn't own the device.

those steps appears to be universal for rooting.

and in Beantown's guide, the title of it says ROOT INSTRUCTIONS. Let me paste it for you.

Rooting Instructions
    1.Boot into Download mode (see methods above)
    2.Flash CF_AutoRoot_Port_T800_BeansTown106.tar.md5 with Odin v3.09 (put in AP slot, don't change any other settings, click start)
    3.Let it do its trick! Confirm root!
    4.Reboot into recovery mode and confirm stock recoverys presence
    That's all! Enjoy Root!

Do you see the part where it says "That's all!"? That tells every reader of that thread, that his rooting instructions is "all there is to know".