[Q] Problem with Archos 101 USB port and external HHD

Search This thread

UntamedDeviance

I have looked around on here and cant find an answer....

My friend just bought a A101. He used a external hard drive once (Seagate Portable Drive, 500GB) After he connected it the first time, it has never worked since....

Does anyone know what would cause this, or how to fix it? He even has already reformatted both and did a factory reset on the A101...

Thanks for any help

Javierinnn

Sep 20, 2007
Gijon
Hi,

that happened some of us when we upgraded to FM 2.071.
I called Archos and advised me to send it for repair.

Regards.
Javier-

meiericamei

Dec 16, 2010
hi all
I've got the same problem here after i had upgrade to 2.018
is that anyone can solve the problem now?
I've tried format, reset, and downgrade, nothing help
thx

lursak

Dec 6, 2004
Never Work

I don think it working if your connect your External HDD with seperate power it ok b ut if like 2.5 Notebook HDD not working anyway

wokker666

Jun 30, 2011
Detroit
This sounds more like an underpowered usb port, rather than a failed usb port.

The usb port only supplies 200ma power, most hdd require 500ma, especially if you are powering said hdd off the port.

I suggest installing SDE, then installing UrukDroid 1.0, then look in the UrukDriod dev forum for Sibere's V10 kernel - it raises the ma from 200 to 500, but even then, it's not a 'complete' fix - the port seems to share power with the display.

Good luck!

spicy_puerto_rican

Apr 1, 2011
Texas
Question:
Has the Seagate 500GB external portable HDD worked properly before it was connected to the A101IT.... like were there any problems whatsoever with it being connected to a laptop/desktop at all??

If the portable HDD HAS worked then you have a guaranteed FUBAR USB port, period! I actually had the same problem and I thought the problem lied with my Western Digital 500GB external portable USB-powered HDD because it was working with my A101IT for a long time then one day my A101IT couldn't find my WD HDD when it was connected. I then disconnected it from my A101IT and found that when I reconnected my WD HDD back to my laptop that there really was no problem with my WD HDD at all, it was the USB port on the A101IT! Also you can plug a thumb drive/usb stick with like 1 GB+ that has stuff like documents, movies, music, etcetera on it and if the information on the thumb drive still doesn't come up after you have connected it to your A101IT the problem is a definite A101IT USB Port problem.

P.S. - By the way, reformatting the entire A101IT AND upgrading/downgrading to a newer/older firmware will also not work.

Last edited:

lysy13pl13

Mar 8, 2010
usb problem

Hi all i faund solution for hd and usb stick not working on archos101.
I got problem with my hd 360gb archos dont read this disc but like i unplug hd from archos show on scren ..now you can unplug divace safly.

I dig in google and i faund if you format your hd "fat" or usb stick you need call partition on hd primary not logical "somthing like that" and archos will reconais hd whitout problems.

This work for me and i dont heve any problem any more whit usb conection to hd i test orso micro sd samsung 8gb class6 in usb conector with same problem what my hd and this method solved my problem.
I hope this will hellp some one.
Sorry for poor english.
Best program to do this operation is partition menager or somthing like that

Last edited: