[Q] Themeing Help (Gimp problems)

Search This thread

luke1987

Nov 19, 2010
ND
I am having problems with gimp.

I can pull a png out of apk and replace it without editing and apk will install.

I pull png out of apk, open with gimp and save (without any actual editing) and apk WONT install.

So I have a good idea something is going wrong when I save the png. I have tried a variation of save settings (but not all). I've read gimp defaults should be fine, but this is not the case.

I have themed in the past and never encountered any problems of this sort..This was always the easy part!

Advice anyone?

edit: from comparing 2 images. one extracted, opened, and saved and one extracted there is a 50 byte difference. Although this might not be important

Last edited:

luke1987

Nov 19, 2010
ND
No. Standard png. I've tried the same process with photoshop and got the same results. I'm gonna try Linux and see if that fixes my problems

N-Forced

Sep 28, 2010
What exactly are you trying to edit? Are you editing an image form a rom? Or are you trying to edit something from a third party program?

luke1987

Nov 19, 2010
ND
Logcat says something like "no certificates at entry raw-hdpi/image-name.png"... if that's useful for anyone. I did a thorough search but couldn't find anything that helped much.

@N-force, it's a third party app that I have successfully themed many times on my old computer (windows 7 32b).

I'm starting to wonder if it doesn't have something to do my windows 7 64b OS. To test this hypothesis I tried the entire process in Linux, but this didn't work either. This could be flawed however because I used wubi to install a 64b version of Ubuntu. I should probably retry with a live version of Linux.

Also I failed installing apk themed from my brothers computer, which has the same OS as mine.

Anyone else had problems themeing on 64 bit OS?

Edit: I've successfully edited the apk's smali and recompiled. It's just these damn PNGs

Last edited:

N-Forced

Sep 28, 2010
Make sure you resign the apk after editing the pngs.

Sent from my pimped out phone

luke1987

Nov 19, 2010
ND
I haven't signed the apk after I just dropped edited PNGs into 7zip; but I have decompiled, switched out PNGs, recompiled, and signed. This gave me same end result. I'll try sign apk after 7zip modification, but I'm skeptical. Thanks for the advice tho, I'll let you know if it's the ticket

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
I haven't signed the apk after I just dropped edited PNGs into 7zip; but I have decompiled, switched out PNGs, recompiled, and signed. This gave me same end result. I'll try sign apk after 7zip modification, but I'm skeptical. Thanks for the advice tho, I'll let you know if it's the ticket

ok. are you deleting the png from the apk before adding your modded one?

if not then you are doing it right.

is this an apk from market or from system?

luke1987

Nov 19, 2010
ND
Hey synisterwolf, good to hear from you. I definitely just replaced old PNGs when I drop them into 7zip, which is what I've always done. When I was monkeying around with decompiling and recompiling I think I just replaced old PNGs. May have deleted them though.

It's shapewriter. Not really from market anymore but not a system. Me and my brother (Funkencool) made dozens of themes for it a couple summers ago. Then I got busy for awhile and bought a new computer and now nothing works.

I got the tracer ICS blue, recompiled, signed, installed. It's purely PNG problem

Would it help if I uploaded one of these broken APKs...I got more than enough on my desktop

Edit: Not one .9 in the entire APK

Last edited:

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
Yeah. Some none system apks are signed with a different key. If the 7zip trick doesn't work you will need to deconpile it once. Then resign it. Then you will be able to do the trick from there on out.

Upload the file if the decompile trick doesn't work. Ill look at it for you. :)

Edit:
Another thing to add is once decompiled, delete the public.XML the one that gives the id's to the png. Apk tool should give them new keys.
Sent from my sexy assistant. (AMOLED HTC Incredible)

Last edited:

luke1987

Nov 19, 2010
ND
Didn't quite get her for me...here's my steps

1)decompile
2)delete res/values/public.xml
3)recompile (system apk? N)
4)sign

This apk installed fine and worked...except one weird thing I noticed is the keyboard works fine, but the cute little instructions you get when clicking the app in the app drawer would cause a force close.

5)replace qwerty.png by dropping it into apk (res/raw-hdpi) (7zip)

Install fails

here is my result as of step 4

here is my result as of step 5

Edit: After talking to my bro (funkencool) tonight I'm getting real convinced it's OS related. We have the identical PB cracked OS and both are encountering this same issue (with much different hardware specs).I know it doesn't seem logical but it doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else. I'm just hitting my head against a wall now. By the way thanks for the help Synisterwolf, I know your a master of the trade. Next I'll try all editing on a live version of linux, and if that doesn't work...I don't know

Edit2: Or like N-forced said, resign apk after the nifty 7zip drop... regular PNGs have never been an issue... I can edit smali and install but PNGs ruin everything, I dont get it

Last edited:

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
Didn't quite get her for me...here's my steps

1)decompile
2)delete res/values/public.xml
3)recompile (system apk? N)
4)sign

This apk installed fine and worked...except one weird thing I noticed is the keyboard works fine, but the cute little instructions you get when clicking the app in the app drawer would cause a force close.

5)replace qwerty.png by dropping it into apk (res/raw-hdpi) (7zip)

Install fails

here is my result as of step 4

here is my result as of step 5

Edit: After talking to my bro (funkencool) tonight I'm getting real convinced it's OS related. We have the identical PB cracked OS and both are encountering this same issue (with much different hardware specs).I know it doesn't seem logical but it doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else. I'm just hitting my head against a wall now. By the way thanks for the help Synisterwolf, I know your a master of the trade. Next I'll try all editing on a live version of linux, and if that doesn't work...I don't know

Edit2: Or like N-forced said, resign apk after the nifty 7zip drop... regular PNGs have never been an issue... I can edit smali and install but PNGs ruin everything, I dont get it

dont hate me. but it worked for me. decompile replace the png compile and sign. :(

AA4rdqi9

i am getting an fc when trying to go into settings. dont know what is causing that. i need my home pc to figure that out

Fixed the FC problem. :D so use mine and try to change a png with 7zip. it should be good to go for you.

Edit: nvm fc is back after a reboot. :(
Going to try without the tracer edit. Maybe that's the cause.

what tools are you using to decompile the apk?

Last edited:

luke1987

Nov 19, 2010
ND
Well I kinda feel like a fool after all the struggling, but you got me thru it synister, thanks alot. I was using apk manager, but this time around I used MultiTool. I must have been deleting the images before replacing and compiling last time, or something. I gave up on 7zip trick. But here's what I have so far. I still need to fine tune.

ICSshapewriter

Attachments

• icsshape.png
    icsshape.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: SynisterWolf

luke1987

Nov 19, 2010
ND
BTW, the tracer color is in SWI_KeyboardViewTrace.smali ... we were stuck with red green or blue for awhile, but funkencool had a stroke of genius and added a few variables to give us any color we want.

Reactions: SynisterWolf

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
Well I kinda feel like a fool after all the struggling, but you got me thru it synister, thanks alot. I was using apk manager, but this time around I used MultiTool. I must have been deleting the images before replacing and compiling last time, or something. I gave up on 7zip trick. But here's what I have so far. I still need to fine tune.

ICSshapewriter

i was using apk manager for the png swap. do you get an fc when going into settings?

luke1987

Nov 19, 2010
ND
Noticed this today, gonna take some serious digging to find the culprit. Atleast the tracer was half identifiable by the filename. I don't know what you'd call this, or even why it happens. I'll find her though

Edit: Think I found where key (character) color and that green highlight are defined. Wish I didn't have a mountain of homework to start so I could test!

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so this is a fresh shapewriter with only the png change. no FC or anything. works just fine. take this and try your tracer edit. let me know what you come up with.

ICSshapewriter
    BTW, the tracer color is in SWI_KeyboardViewTrace.smali ... we were stuck with red green or blue for awhile, but funkencool had a stroke of genius and added a few variables to give us any color we want.