[How To] Upgrade to Rooted .596 Official Rom

Search This thread

nukeruss

Feb 13, 2011
Palmyra, PA
I am on the .596 root made by p3droid.

I am wondering if I could reinstall the 2 parts to get back to a stock .596 root with all the apps back on. Every once in awhile my phone will reboot and apps will just force close then reopen with no questions.

It should work. The last time I switched from cm7 to .596 I flashed a backup first and then the 2 part install over it without losing the data from the backup.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA Premium App

Reactions: pctechdroid

pctechdroid

Mar 21, 2011
Raleigh, NC
It should work. The last time I switched from cm7 to .596 I flashed a backup first and then the 2 part install over it without losing the data from the backup.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA Premium App

Thank you. I will try that. I don't mind reinstalling apps from the market and anything else. My contacts are saved with google and pictures are fine on my SD card.

bahamaberry

Jul 7, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Loading GB stuck on boot up screen(red moto icon). I SBF to 2.3.340, then z4rooted, installed provided droid 2 bootstrap, installed part 1 and part 2. After they installed, select option to reboot, but the DX gets stuck at the red moto icon and sits there for at least 20 mintues, gave up and tried to reboot it, same thing. Ended up SBFing back to 2.3.340 and rebooted it. Any ides why the the GB version will not boot up? Thanks for your help.

shukero

Mar 3, 2011
Loading GB stuck on boot up screen(red moto icon). I SBF to 2.3.340, then z4rooted, installed provided droid 2 bootstrap, installed part 1 and part 2. After they installed, select option to reboot, but the DX gets stuck at the red moto icon and sits there for at least 20 mintues, gave up and tried to reboot it, same thing. Ended up SBFing back to 2.3.340 and rebooted it. Any ides why the the GB version will not boot up? Thanks for your help.

Yes, For you I would suggest the second option at the end of my GB tutorial; which is after you install the 2nd .zip go back to the main menu, and do a cache/data wipe. if that doesn't work then pull the battery put it back in the hit the power & home button while powering on. This should bring you into the stock recovery. try to do the cache/date wipe in here. To do this: after you boot into it, you'll get a warning sign, hit the search button. the click on the wipe option, wait for about 2-3 minutes (if it gives you an error) or wait till it says it's done. Then restart. Remember this takes some time after it reboots. Mine took about 3-4 minutes the first time I booted, and about 5-7 for a friend's (his is older than mine) to start up the first time. What I would do is hold the phone in your and if you feel it vibrate, that means that it will start up eventually, it's just loading stuff.

bahamaberry

Jul 7, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes, For you I would suggest the second option at the end of my GB tutorial; which is after you install the 2nd .zip go back to the main menu, and do a cache/data wipe. if that doesn't work then pull the battery put it back in the hit the power & home button while powering on. This should bring you into the stock recovery. try to do the cache/date wipe in here. To do this: after you boot into it, you'll get a warning sign, hit the search button. the click on the wipe option, wait for about 2-3 minutes (if it gives you an error) or wait till it says it's done. Then restart. Remember this takes some time after it reboots. Mine took about 3-4 minutes the first time I booted, and about 5-7 for a friend's (his is older than mine) to start up the first time. What I would do is hold the phone in your and if you feel it vibrate, that means that it will start up eventually, it's just loading stuff.

Tired it again, today, still no luck, did option two and did the wipe/factor reset. Also held the phone in my hand to see if it would vibrate, which it did not. waited for 10 minutes and it was still at the red moto icon. Anyone have an other ideas?

Last edited:

shukero

Mar 3, 2011
hmmm Your update files might have become corrupt while download them. Try to re-download the Gingerbread update files and try again.

Ghxoxst

Apr 27, 2007
Stuck on red moto logo as mentioned above

...So after installing as advised, part 1 than part 2 immediately thereafter...got the reboot to the red MOTO LOGO...than gets me to this black screen

Bootloader
Err:A5,69,35,00,27

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

i tried holding down the power and home button at reboot, but i dont get back into recovery mode where i can attempt to wipe data/cache...

Any advise?

bahamaberry

Jul 7, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
hmmm Your update files might have become corrupt while download them. Try to re-download the Gingerbread update files and try again.

Thank you shukero, they were indeed corrupt files, even though nothing said they were. I down loaded the files again, and this time the red moto icon disappeared after about 1 minute, and it booted :)

On a note about GB, love it, its fast, clean and rooted yay.

shukero

Mar 3, 2011
...So after installing as advised, part 1 than part 2 immediately thereafter...got the reboot to the red MOTO LOGO...than gets me to this black screen

Bootloader

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

i tried holding down the power and home button at reboot, but i dont get back into recovery mode where i can attempt to wipe data/cache...

Any advise?

This seems to be an error with your flashed ROM. This is probably also because of a corrupted download. re-download the updates, check their file size, re-sbf and try again :)

BruinSkiiz

Nov 19, 2010
So Cal
I too had this same problem this morning. Did you use maderstcok? Thats what messed me up. I simply tried the Ubuntu fix from a flash drive and I was well on my way.

Bootloader

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

Any advise?

techmafia

Feb 9, 2011
Is there a earlier version than 2.2.1?

This guide tells us to downgrade to stock 2.2 Froyo. I am at SBF version 2.3.340, which is equal to 2.2.1 Froyo.

Is there a different SBF file I need to use, or will this work equally as well on 2.2.1 Froyo?

techmafia

Feb 9, 2011
Great guide, everything worked perfectly!

However, I'd recommend NOT Wiping Data/Factory Reset after installing the 2 Zip files, as it will Remove Root from the install.

Or at least it did for me. (I wanted to switch google accounts, so I did the factory wipe...and found this out)

mav3rick478

Dec 26, 2010
its Odexed since its the 2 part TBH, the Deodexed version is a 1 part install that I believe you can install on top of this 2 part patched rooted update. Check My Droid World to verify.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys! Thought it was weird that no one has done this yet so here it goes!

**FIRST WARNINGS!!**
    1) I do not take ANY responsibility for anything that happens to your phone, contract, etc, etc.
    2) I do not take create for any material posted here nor do I take credit for the download links! SUPER PROPS to p3droid & Black hat team for those.
    3) Make Sure you know what you are doing BEFORE your root / SBF your phone, as I am not usually on much during the day to answer question (do to my job).
    ** END OF WARNINGS**

So on with the awesomeness that is GINGERBREAD! This How To shows you how to get from basically any rom to Rooted (supposedly deodexed) Official .596 Gingerbread from Motorola & Verizon!

First!! for those of you that upgraded to Leaked Versions of Gingerbread:

1)You need to check both your Gingerbread Version & Radio Versions.
    ---- To find your versions go settings > about phone > System Version/Baseband Version ----

If your Gingerbread Version is ANY of the following: (588/591/595)
    &
    If your Radio (baseband) Version ends with: 12P

Then Follow 2b) OTHERWISE FOLLOW 2a) !!

Second!! If You are on a Rooted Froyo Device go to 2c)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2a) SBFing / Back to 2.2 Froyo:
    If you are here that means you don't have the requirements to just "update" via bootstrapper to get to Gingerbread :( I know that sucks BUT there is a WAY!

A) First thing to do for this is to backup ALL your apps!! That's because all your data will be deleted as you will need to be going back to default froyo.

B) You will need to SBF back to Default 2.2 Froyo now. For those of you who don't know what SBF is: think of it as a Recovery process.

ANYWAY back on topic; If you do NOT KNOW how to SBF, then please follow how to do it Here You'll also have to download the default Froyo sbf file found there too. **Please make sure to read through everything in that post before trying to do it!!

Now After your SBF says it's at 100% (and it reboots your phone) Some Droid's perform differently than others. Here is what I mean; in MY personal case the phone rebooted right up into froyo. However some other people's didn't - it was stuck on the red eye logo screen.

If this happens to you:
    1) Pull out the battery
    2) unplug your usb cord (you can now quit RSD Lite - Don't worry about the warning as it told me the same thing)
    3) put the battery back in
    4) hold the power and home buttons to get into recovery mode on your phone
    5) when the "!" sign shows up click on your search button, and scroll down to "factory reset / cache wipe" click ok then reboot. (this will get you into froyo)

C) Now that you are back to Default Froyo, You'll need to root it again with "Z4Root" which is at the bottom of this post.

I assume since you already rooted before you know how to...

D) After Rooting You'll need to install a copy of Droid 2 Bootstrap which can ALSO be found at the bottom of this post. If you already have Droid X Bootstrapper GET RID OF IT. Because it does NOT work in Gingerbread and for this process, but Droid 2 Bootstrapper does.

After installing Droid 2 Bootstrapper, you'll need to download both of the following files (part 1 & Part 2) and put them on your phone's SD Card:

Part 1:
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    mirror 3

Part 2:
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    Mirror 3

Now that your have both files downloaded I would advise you to rename the files to "2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part1" & "2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part2" This is because when you finally get into bootstrapper you'll know which part you are getting ready to install!

E) NOW ITS TIME TO GET SOME YUMMY GINGERBREAD!! Please PLEASE read everything before doing anything after this point!!

1) First get into bootstrap recovery
    2) Go to: Install update off SDCard > Pick part1 > Click ok!
    3) DO NOT EXIT RECOVERY!!!! If you do you could brick your Droid!!
    4) After it installs part 1, go back down to Install update off SDCard > Pick Part2 This time > Click OK!!

Now at this point you can do 1 of 2 things:
    1) You can restart your phone (as I did - which started up the first time)
    2) You can go back to the main menu and "Factory reset / Wipe data"
    ** Please note that Option 2 was NOT tested by me, so I can not say if it works or not **

Your phone should have restarted and is now in Android 2.3.3596 :D CONGRATS!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2b) Upgrading Directly to Gingerbread

Congrats!! You are part of the few that are able to directly upgrade through bootstrap to Gingerbread!!

1) FIRST Back up all of your Apps, as this update my delete them.
    2) Grab Droid 2 bootstrap from the bottom of this post and install it since the Droid X Bootstrapper doesnt work with Gingerbread.
    3) Grab the Update below:

Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    Mirror 3
    Mirror 4

4) Just install as you normally would a ROM, and restart. This Should get you into Rooted, Deodexed, Official .596 Gingerbread :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2c) Time to go back to default!

Alright so you are rooted on Froyo.. Well it's time to go back to your original backup of Verizon's DEFAULT 2.2 that SHOULD have been your first backup. Now if you are reading this and you don't have an original backup, you'll have to either find one for bootstrap, or go to 2a) and follow those instructions

1) Bootstrap Back to your original "Verizon Default 2.2"

2) You'll need to install a copy of Droid 2 Bootstrap which can be found at the bottom of this post. If you already have Droid X Bootstrapper GET RID OF IT. Because it does NOT work in Gingerbread and for this process, but Droid 2 Bootstrapper does.

After installing Droid 2 Bootstrapper, you'll need to download both of the following files (part 1 & Part 2) and put them on your phone's SD Card:

Part 1:
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    mirror 3

Part 2:
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    Mirror 3

Now that your have both files downloaded I would advise you to rename the files to "2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part1" & "2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part2" This is because when you finally get into bootstrapper you'll know which part you are getting ready to install!

E) NOW ITS TIME TO GET SOME YUMMY GINGERBREAD!! Please PLEASE read everything before doing anything after this point!!

1) First get into bootstrap recovery
    2) Go to: Install update off SDCard > Pick part1 > Click ok!
    3) DO NOT EXIT RECOVERY!!!! If you do you could brick your Droid!!
    4) After it installs part 1, go back down to Install update off SDCard > Pick Part2 This time > Click OK!!

Now at this point you can do 1 of 2 things:
    1) You can restart your phone (as I did - which started up the first time)
    2) You can go back to the main menu and "Factory reset / Wipe data"
    ** Please note that Option 2 was NOT tested by me, so I can not say if it works or not **

Your phone should have restarted and is now in Android 2.3.3596 :D CONGRATS!

Hope this helps those in need! I know I needed a tutorial like this, but unfortunately, I had to get bits and chunks off of about 10 different forums... so HAVE FUN!!
    Nevermind, just did the 2 part install without SBF'ing and it worked like a charm. Nothing like jumping in with both feet! :D
    I'd give it a try before SBF'n

Why do we need to SBF to original Froyo if we are running stock rooted Froyo that has never had a ROM installed or anything? I could never find an answer to that, thanks for the instructions, they are a lot clearer than the ones on Droid World.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

I used the 2 file method yesterday to go from CM7 Nightlys back to GB rooted. No issues. I used Droid 2 bootstrapper to flash the 2 files (I know, not recommended by the CM7 guys). I first tried to perform a restore directly back to GB but that failed due to the kernel differences. But then when I flashed the two files, my data from the attempted GB restore was still there so it all worked out in the end.
    Why do we need to SBF to original Froyo if we are running stock rooted Froyo that has never had a ROM installed or anything? I could never find an answer to that, thanks for the instructions, they are a lot clearer than the ones on Droid World.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

THe quick answer is you never needed to. If you follow my directions to 2c) then you see that you need to bootstrap back to default (I assumed that anyone on an already rooted default froyo would just skip this step :p) then install the update...

So just for future peoples:

If you are already on the default STOCK motorola 2.2 system and are rooted, just go straight to updating your bootstrapper, and then to the update.

I've had a few days now with this new stock rom, and I am mainly very impressed! Motorola really did bump up the speed, and now I have a lot less freezes / failing apps. I have noticed that the camera is still just a bit buggy, but other than that very good and stable.

Can't wait to see what kind of roms people build off of this one :D makes me extremely excited just thinking about it... EIther that or the unlocking of the motorola bootloader.
    Thanks! Worked great until I noticed a problem...

I started out with a rooted FroYo Droid X and this is what I did step by step for folks like me.

1. I installed the Droid 2 Bootstrap attached to the original post.
    2. Saved the part 1 and part 2 files in the root of the SD Card (Phone Files).
    3. Started the Bootstrap app.
    4. In the Boostrap app I clicked the Bootstrap Recovery button first and then clicked Success.
    5. I then clicked the Reboot Recovery button and let the phone reboot into recovery.
    6. Now in recovery you have to use the volume up/down buttons to move around on the screen and then use the camera button to select something.
    7. I moved to Install Zip from SD Card and selected it.
    8. I moved to the part 1 file (it's the first one in the list) and selected it.
    9. I moved to the Install Zip from SD Card again and and selected it.
    10. I moved to the part 2 file (it's the second one in the list) and selected it.

After all this you should be back at the main recovery screen again and you should have Reboot System Now as an option. Select it to reboot your phone.

When your phone comes back up you should be good to go. I did notice some of the game icons weren't showing up correctly and so I rebooted the phone again (normally by turning it off and then back on) and then everything showed up fine again.

Like the original poster I didn't wipe my data or cache and everything seems to work fine and I didn't need to reinstall all of my apps or anything.

Again, thanks to the original poster!

[Edit] Had to SBF back to FroYo. After playing with this Gingerbread update for a while I found that my wireless tether apps (Wireless Tether and Barnacle Wireless Tether) were not working and complaining about the phone being in a weird state and also that WiFi Manager was interfering with the wireless tether apps. Since I use my phone as a hotspot a lot I decided to go back to FroYo until this release has baked a bit.