[Root] How to Root T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999!

Search This thread

ferny_dx

Apr 24, 2011
Here's a video tutorial for how to root T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999, specifically for T-Mobile.

For T-Mobile, you will have to get into CWM recovery by holding down Volume Up + Center + Power button, then let go of Power button upon reset, a small difference between other U.S. Galaxy S3s but I see most people are having trouble with just getting into recovery after flashing with ODIN so here's a noob-proof video:

Download:
http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyS3Sprint/rooting/GalaxyS3RootSprint.zip

Credits to NoobNL who posted this root method first on XDA.

No matter what i try, i cannot manage to root the S3, I just got it last night,

I got CWM installed, i can even install the zip file, but when i try to use root, the prompt does not come up. and the apps stay in the loading icon any ideas?

drakegao

Aug 29, 2010
can you recommend a rom for t-mobile sgs iii with chinese system language reinstalled on it?
thanks.

Talon25

Oct 5, 2010
Getting into CWM (from 4.1.2)

Hey everyone, I read through every page of this thread and I too had trouble getting into CWM. Again, please read everything before you ask your question (solution has been posted 6-9 times).

How to do it (with 4.1.2):
BEFORE ANYTHING put the CWM SuperSU file in your phone directory.
1) Go through @zedomax video tutorial. Make sure that Auto Reboot is UNCHECKED
2) When ODIN is done doing its thing and before you do anything with your phone - take your battery out then unplug your phone from USB
3) Hold Volume UP, Power button, and Home Screen button.
4) This will get you into CWM
5) Flash CWM SuperSU
6) Reboot your phone. Using a file explorer (Such as ES) mount / and /system as writeable (settings).
7) Go to /system and delete recovery-from-boot.p (it might still show up, but it will delete as long as its writeable)
8) Go to /system/etc and delete install-recovery.sh
9) Go back into download mode (Power DOWN, Home screen, power button) and redo the ODIN portion with the CWM tar file

This will again, rewrite the recovery. From that point you can reboot the phone anytime and, without removing the battery or any other crazy way, can get into CWM without any issues.

Hope this solves anymore questions people have and enjoy your rooted galaxy! Thank you for the help everyone else has posted with the solution and thanks for the great video tutorial @zedomax!

Reactions: djmist67

mrctony

Nov 30, 2011
California
Didnt work

How to do it (with 4.1.2):
BEFORE ANYTHING put the CWM SuperSU file in your phone directory.(did this in fist place)
1) Go through @zedomax video tutorial. Make sure that Auto Reboot is UNCHECKED(did this too)
2) When ODIN is done doing its thing and before you do anything with your phone - take your battery out then unplug your phone from USB(this also)
3) Hold Volume UP, Power button, and Home Screen button.
4) This will get you into CWM
5) Flash CWM SuperSU (did this too)
..the following is what I was missing to have full root access and avopid stock recovery:
6) Reboot your phone. Using a file explorer (Such as ES) mount / and /system as writeable (settings).
7) Go to /system and delete recovery-from-boot.p (it might still show up, but it will delete as long as its writeable)
8) Go to /system/etc and delete install-recovery.sh
9) Go back into download mode (Power DOWN, Home screen, power button) and redo the ODIN portion with the CWM tar file

This will again, rewrite the recovery. From that point you can reboot the phone anytime and, without removing the battery or any other crazy way, can get into CWM without any issues.

Hope this solves anymore questions people have and enjoy your rooted galaxy! Thank you for the help everyone else has posted with the solution and thanks for the great video tutorial @zedomax!

Last edited:

rogerperk

Aug 11, 2010
North Carolina
Trying this and I keep getting files like some downloader or a codex instead of the files I need. I don't want a new search tool or a new boyah thing. I just want to root. Anyone know a clean way to do this??

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Trying this and I keep getting files like some downloader or a codex instead of the files I need. I don't want a new search tool or a new boyah thing. I just want to root. Anyone know a clean way to do this??

You may not be hitting the download button and hitting an ad instead. But you could always read the last post before yours for one of the alternatives.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
My downloads page you just click the big green button with an arrow in it.
If your still having these issues I suspect you have some malware on your computer.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

MrPeebles_

Jul 10, 2016
sydney
Having problem with the program

I followed the instructions and installed SuperSU. But once I rebooted my phone the app wouldn't start, the process would just end on my phone. The icon and everything is there but it just keeps crashing. I'm running a SGH-T999 Jellybean 4.3 official. Any help is appreciated; thanks.

newyorker1

Nov 27, 2016
Unrooting the sgh-t999 tmobile

To whom it may concern
now that I've learned how to root my device s3
Ilike to know also how to unroot my device
Sincerely : Steve Baker.

jerryspring

Feb 18, 2018
Here's a video tutorial for how to root T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999, specifically for T-Mobile.

For T-Mobile, you will have to get into CWM recovery by holding down Volume Up + Center + Power button, then let go of Power button upon reset, a small difference between other U.S. Galaxy S3s but I see most people are having trouble with just getting into recovery after flashing with ODIN so here's a noob-proof video:

Download:
http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyS3Sprint/rooting/GalaxyS3RootSprint.zip

right after i flash twrp 3.1... i get the old school image of cyanogemod/ blue android..... memories!! anyone else get that? lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Download:

Linux/Mac tutorial coming...

Linux/Mac tutorial coming...
    Yes |

Finally Seeing Zedomax High on Android | awesome is. Love you man no homo! U d best at Android Reviews.

By the way wrong section buddy!
    For anyone having trouble getting root after recent update:
    Q: I don’t get ClockworkMod Recovery like you do, just get Android with belly open.
    A: If you’ve updated to newer software update, the stock OS will over-write ClockworkMod Recovery on reboot. To fix this, make sure “auto-reboot” is checked off in ODIN, then take the battery out when it’s done flashing in ODIN. Then enter ClockworkMod Recovery right away.

This worked for me. I didn't take the battery out though. I just held power til the phone turned off > then hold up, menu, and power to go right into recovery.
    Launching Recovery

FYI -I am using the TMOBILE Samsung SIII - initially, I struggeled getting into Recovery - after a bunch of trial and error I found the only method that works for me is: Hold Volume Up/Power/Home simultaneiously - release all three as soon asthe words "Samsung" (in block letters) flashes once - a second of two later you will see Samsung in a fancier type face - screen goes dark once more and then you are in CWM.
    WHen I tried launching recovery any other way I coudn't get there - the phone would either turn off completely or it would boot simply launch the normal start up.

I didn't know if others had the same issue as I did when they first tried launching recovery so I thought I would share -