[INFO] Wine for Android

Search This thread

Cheetah1024

Jun 19, 2012
Internet. I live on the Internet.
Hi there and welcome to this thread!

This thread will be for people who want to keep posted about news regarding Wine for android... If you know any news, don't hesitate to post them! Provide a link if possible! I'll make a list of news in the second post and put you into the credits!

If you have questions, you may ask, I'll try to answer them...;)

Last edited:

detain

Jul 28, 2013
Does it not compile on ARM or what is the holdup? Can an ARM build of wine still run x86 windows binaries? I can see getting this ported into android/davlik gui might take some time but what about running it in like an X server on the phone and vncing to it from the android ui

agentfusion

Jun 27, 2009
Baltimore
wr3tch.com
OnePlus 9
Does it not compile on ARM or what is the holdup? Can an ARM build of wine still run x86 windows binaries? I can see getting this ported into android/davlik gui might take some time but what about running it in like an X server on the phone and vncing to it from the android ui

As far as I know, Xorg conflicts with surface flinger, so the only option is to run a vnc viewer to connect to the x server. The upside is that it's local instead of across a network so it is every bit as snappy as native Xorg. The downside is (at least in my experience) that compositing and special effects don't seem to work over vnc.

I wasn't done, but my cat head butted my phone lol..

Anyway, once you've set up a full emdebian environment using something like botbrew basil, I don't see why work couldn't start on porting wine and testing it and Windows applications. I know that's already in the works according to the article earlier in the thread, but I think this was could also work and you're definitely on the right track

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ycavan

Nov 9, 2007
Right now, if you have an X86 Android phone, you can install the following to get Wine on Android:
1. XServer-XSDL - the best X server for Android
2. Linux Deploy - good set of chroot distros
3. SSH client - I like VXConnect

Here are the steps:
1. Start up XServer-XSDL.
2. Deploy a chroot using Linux Deploy with ONLY SSH. You don't need X, Framebuffer or VNC
3. use SSH client to ssh into your distro, default username: android ; default password: changeme
4. change your password
5. sudo apt-get install wine <-- this will grab the Wine package for your distro
6. export DISPLAY=:0 <-- tells your distro that your X server is local and port 0
7. for your first Wine run: winecfg
8. Press Tasks button to get out of SSH.
9. Select XServer-XSDL from the tasks list and you will see the Wine config starting
10. Accept whatever the config is

Now, Wine is prepped and ready to run on XServer-XSDL.

Tab over to your SSH session to start stuff up and then tab over to XServer-XSDL

Reactions: Cheetah1024

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Right now, if you have an X86 Android phone, you can install the following to get Wine on Android:
    1. XServer-XSDL - the best X server for Android
    2. Linux Deploy - good set of chroot distros
    3. SSH client - I like VXConnect

Here are the steps:
    1. Start up XServer-XSDL.
    2. Deploy a chroot using Linux Deploy with ONLY SSH. You don't need X, Framebuffer or VNC
    3. use SSH client to ssh into your distro, default username: android ; default password: changeme
    4. change your password
    5. sudo apt-get install wine <-- this will grab the Wine package for your distro
    6. export DISPLAY=:0 <-- tells your distro that your X server is local and port 0
    7. for your first Wine run: winecfg
    8. Press Tasks button to get out of SSH.
    9. Select XServer-XSDL from the tasks list and you will see the Wine config starting
    10. Accept whatever the config is

Now, Wine is prepped and ready to run on XServer-XSDL.

Tab over to your SSH session to start stuff up and then tab over to XServer-XSDL