[Q] Stuck in a bootloop, dev ed, root, OTA

Search This thread

carmike692000

Apr 29, 2011
I'm new to Motorola in the smartphone world, but just upgraded to a Droid Maxx Developer Edition. The bootloader is unlocked and it has root, but with the stock ROM. Well since yesterday it has been VERY annoyingly insisting on installing an OTA device update every few hours. After postponing it and postponing it I accidentally selected install. Now it's constantly rebooting into recovery (I assume) to install the update, but TWRP loads instead of the stock recovery so nothing happens. Then when I reboot into Android (4.2 19.5.3), within 2 minutes it reboots again to attempt installing the update.

Now, I'm ready to get away from stock (played with it stock for about a month, ready to move on), so I downloaded CM for it. But it won't stay booted into Android long enough for me to copy the .zip over to the phone to flash in TWRP. Also, I've never done anything in adb or fastboot. However, I did install adb (Windows 7 64-bit) and have been playing with that. When my phone is in android, I can usually see it listed as "TA4310BUAV unauthorized" when I run adb devices. After googling, this is because I've not authorized my computer on my phone. However, even after selecting 'revoke all authorizations' or whatever in developer settings, I still get no notification to authorize. And then when I'm booted into TWRP I can't see the phone at all.

Basically, I'm stuck in a bootloop and just want to copy the CM zip file to the phone so I can flash it in TWRP, but I'm at a loss as to how to do this. Can anyone provide me with some advice on how to proceed? It would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm new to Motorola in the smartphone world, but just upgraded to a Droid Maxx Developer Edition. The bootloader is unlocked and it has root, but with the stock ROM. Well since yesterday it has been VERY annoyingly insisting on installing an OTA device update every few hours. After postponing it and postponing it I accidentally selected install. Now it's constantly rebooting into recovery (I assume) to install the update, but TWRP loads instead of the stock recovery so nothing happens. Then when I reboot into Android (4.2 19.5.3), within 2 minutes it reboots again to attempt installing the update.

Now, I'm ready to get away from stock (played with it stock for about a month, ready to move on), so I downloaded CM for it. But it won't stay booted into Android long enough for me to copy the .zip over to the phone to flash in TWRP. Also, I've never done anything in adb or fastboot. However, I did install adb (Windows 7 64-bit) and have been playing with that. When my phone is in android, I can usually see it listed as "TA4310BUAV unauthorized" when I run adb devices. After googling, this is because I've not authorized my computer on my phone. However, even after selecting 'revoke all authorizations' or whatever in developer settings, I still get no notification to authorize. And then when I'm booted into TWRP I can't see the phone at all.

Basically, I'm stuck in a bootloop and just want to copy the CM zip file to the phone so I can flash it in TWRP, but I'm at a loss as to how to do this. Can anyone provide me with some advice on how to proceed? It would be greatly appreciated!!

In TWRP try wiping your cache. That should delete the OTA. Then when you boot back into the OS use titanium backup to freeze the app "MotorolaOTA." That should do it.

Sent From Droid Ultra

Reactions: carmike692000

carmike692000

Apr 29, 2011
In TWRP try wiping your cache. That should delete the OTA. Then when you boot back into the OS use titanium backup to freeze the app "MotorolaOTA." That should do it.

Sent From Droid Ultra

Thank you so much! I will try this immediately. I just figured out how to get into fastbook, and my computer recognizes the phone in that mode. Is that a good method for pushing the CM.zip to the phone (just for future reference if the above doesn't work)?

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thank you so much! I will try this immediately. I just figured out how to get into fastbook, and my computer recognizes the phone in that mode. Is that a good method for pushing the CM.zip to the phone (just for future reference if the above doesn't work)?

May be wrong but I don't think you can push files in that way via fastboot. If my first method didn't work let me know. There are a few other things to try.

Sent From Droid Ultra

carmike692000

Apr 29, 2011
May be wrong but I don't think you can push files in that way via fastboot. If my first method didn't work let me know. There are a few other things to try.

Sent From Droid Ultra

I erased the cache like you said (though I did it through fastboot since I already had it up and it's 'new and exciting' and all), and rebooted. Seems to have worked so far. I could go ahead and d/l TiB and freeze that service like you said, but since I'm going to flash CM anyways, I don't see as that's necessary at the moment. However, I can't get W7 to see the phone to be able to transfer the .zip to the phone, whether by Windows Explorer or adb, because I still don't have the option on the phone to authorize my laptop.

EDIT - I'm sure one problem with the computer not listing the phone as a device is it cannot find the device driver to install for it, and I've not been successful googling for it. So in the Windows Device Manager list, my XT1080 has a yellow exclamation mark by it. Also, just installed TiB and froze "Motorola OTA" since I had to wait five minutes to post this edit anyways.

Last edited:

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
I erased the cache like you said (though I did it through fastboot since I already had it up and it's 'new and exciting' and all), and rebooted. Seems to have worked so far. I could go ahead and d/l TiB and freeze that service like you said, but since I'm going to flash CM anyways, I don't see as that's necessary at the moment. However, I can't get W7 to see the phone to be able to transfer the .zip to the phone, whether by Windows Explorer or adb, because I still don't have the option on the phone to authorize my laptop.

Ok i just like to disable the OTA app to avoid accidentally upgrading and bootlooping. Plus I'm assuming that you'll be making a back up of your stock system to go back to should you not care for CM. Do you have USB debugging enabled on your phone?

Sent From Droid Ultra

carmike692000

Apr 29, 2011
Ok i just like to disable the OTA app to avoid accidentally upgrading and bootlooping. Plus I'm assuming that you'll be making a back up of your stock system to go back to should you not care for CM. Do you have USB debugging enabled on your phone?

Sent From Droid Ultra

As per my edit above, I have now frozen "Motorola OTA". That is a great point regarding the backup.

Yes, I do have USB debugging enabled on my phone. Also, per my edit above, not having the proper driver installed for my phone may be the limiting factor here. Though having never used adb before, maybe it's a slew of other things, I'm not sure.

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
As per my edit above, I have now frozen "Motorola OTA". That is a great point regarding the backup.

Yes, I do have USB debugging enabled on my phone. Also, per my edit above, not having the proper driver installed for my phone may be the limiting factor here. Though having never used adb before, maybe it's a slew of other things, I'm not sure.

Maybe here

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481

Sent From Droid Ultra

carmike692000

Apr 29, 2011

Finally we're getting somewhere. I had installed that earlier, but never had any success with it. However, after just aimlessly disabling and reenabling things (USB debugging, PTP media sharing, revoking authorizations), and unplugging/replugging, it finally installed the driver. And now adb recognizes it, I was able to authorize my laptop, and I just copy and pasted the cm .zip to my phone.

It seems everything is going to work out just fine! I'm going to back up a few things with TiB and then flash CM.

Thank you so much for your input! I'd still be dead in the water if it weren't for your help!

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
Finally we're getting somewhere. I had installed that earlier, but never had any success with it. However, after just aimlessly disabling and reenabling things (USB debugging, PTP media sharing, revoking authorizations), and unplugging/replugging, it finally installed the driver. And now adb recognizes it, I was able to authorize my laptop, and I just copy and pasted the cm .zip to my phone.

It seems everything is going to work out just fine! I'm going to back up a few things with TiB and then flash CM.

Thank you so much for your input! I'd still be dead in the water if it weren't for your help!

Glad I could help! Don't forget to make a backup in TWRP! You may find yourself wanting to go back to stock sooner than you think! I keep trying ROMs but always end up missing active notifications and touch less as well as some others!

Sent From Droid Ultra

nubia11

Nov 2, 2011
I am wanting to take and install the latest Ota update. I'm rooted and unlocked (via Chinese method). My question is how do I actually install the downloaded update considering that I have twrp for a recovery?.... Thank you in advance

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
I am wanting to take and install the latest Ota update. I'm rooted and unlocked (via Chinese method). My question is how do I actually install the downloaded update considering that I have twrp for a recovery?.... Thank you in advance

Flash the stock recovery with fastboot. I forget if you need to also unroot or not. Also make sure you have any apps that were disabled or frozen enabled/defrosted

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent From Droid Ultra

Sent From Droid Ultra

Sent From Droid Ultra

Maybe here

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481

Sent From Droid Ultra

Glad I could help! Don't forget to make a backup in TWRP! You may find yourself wanting to go back to stock sooner than you think! I keep trying ROMs but always end up missing active notifications and touch less as well as some others!

Sent From Droid Ultra