[PSA] Google Play Edition and Sense Version have different system partition sizes

Search This thread

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
If anyone has a REAL GPE or a converted GPE you will notice you can't flash any ROMS without getting errors. I investigated into this and this is what I found. The system partition is only a little over 1 gig where the sense system partition is 2.8 gb. So if you try to flash a sense rom on a GPE or a converted HTC m8. It will fail (because the partition is too big for the gpe partition). The only way to correct this is to flash a sense RUU when it's available.

I'm working on a new GPE conversion RUU that will use a bigger system partition. If this works (which I'm not sure it will) then it will be easy for people who to convert to go back..

Just figured I'd let everyone know.. This was NOT tha case with the m7!

Last edited:

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Here is a df from a real GPE (non converted)
/system 1006.7M 778.0M 228.6M 4096

Mine after conversion:

/system 1006.7M 779.1M 227.6M 4096

Can someone do a df on a sense version?

Using adb
Type adb shell
Then df

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamal Ahmed

HolyAngel

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Wow! Glad I didn't convert yet! Here's a pic of it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1396924324361.jpg
    1396924324361.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,278
Reactions: graffixnyc

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
I converted not worried about it at all tho. On a side note graffix do you have the GPE hboot pulled? If so can you upload it or add it to your recovery thread, want it to edit out the red dev text lol.

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I converted not worried about it at all tho. On a side note graffix do you have the GPE hboot pulled? If so can you upload it or add it to your recovery thread, want it to edit out the red dev text lol.

It's already there ;) I posted it last night in the stock recovery thread.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: djkinetic

vultuk

Jun 28, 2013
Blackpool
No one seems to have sent you this yet so... Here is a stock Sense

/system 2641M 2062M 579M 4096

Last edited:

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
Do you need a signed ruu? Or can you just have someone dump from a sense rom the same partitions changed with the conversion?

Are the bootloaders different because of this?

Sent from my HTC PG09410 using xda app-developers app

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Do you need a signed ruu? Or can you just have someone dump from a sense rom the same partitions changed with the conversion?

Are the bootloaders different because of this?

Sent from my HTC PG09410 using xda app-developers app

You don't need a signed one I don't think. But the issue is with the system image. RUU mode complains the image is too big. Jmz Taylor was saying that there is a size limit on the system images that be flashed in fastboot/ruu mode. So they need to be split.. And each zip run after each other in ruu mode. Maybe a signed one does deal with the system image differently (not sure)

If you do a Google search on split system image ruu, you'll see a few examples. Jmz sent me a template to use and I was able to split the system image and I flashed the first one and it flashed correctly, the 2nd part failed.. I'm going to try again though.. One more time to see if I can get it to work.

housry23

Sep 23, 2009
Springfield, OH
You don't need a signed one I don't think. But the issue is with the system image. RUU mode complains the image is too big. Jmz Taylor was saying that there is a size limit on the system images that be flashed in fastboot/ruu mode. So they need to be split.. And each zip run after each other in ruu mode. Maybe a signed one does deal with the system image differently (not sure)

If you do a Google search on split system image ruu, you'll see a few examples. Jmz sent me a template to use and I was able to split the system image and I flashed the first one and it flashed correctly, the 2nd part failed.. I'm going to try again though.. One more time to see if I can get it to work.

I really hope it works. I'm really mad at myself for doing the conversion. Are you in Colorado now?

Reactions: Mantahoe

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011

hmm that makes sense,now,lol. a couple weeks ago a set up the ruuveal tool to decrypt ruus,and when i broke down m7 rom.zip from 4.19.401.9 it gave me 5 more zip files,instead of a bunch of images.

the first contains adsp thru tz. the next 3 each contain 2 android info documents and a system image,lables system_1,system_2,system_3 inside their respective zips. the last one contains different dz_data and tp.

at first glance,the zip files all appear the same:
Code:
modelid: PN0710000
cidnum: HTC__001
cidnum: HTC__J15
cidnum: HTC__E11
cidnum: HTC__203
cidnum: HTC__102
cidnum: HTC__405
cidnum: HTC__Y13
cidnum: HTC__A07
cidnum: HTC__304
cidnum: HTC__032
cidnum: HTC__016
mainver: 4.19.401.9
btype:1
aareport:1
DelCache:1
hbootpreupdate:3
numofsystem: 3
indexofsystem: 1
sizeofsystem: 629145600

even tho the system zips,each have a second one named android-info-1,android-info-2,android-info-3,matching the the number of the system image inside that particular zip. if thats confusing,the sustem zips each contain: androit-info.text , android-info-x.txt , and system_x.img

sorry if youre allready aware of all this,the point is that you prolly just need to get the android info documents correctly worded/formatted,and the system images all named correctly. not sure if we can manually flash the zips one at a time,or need to zip them all up together somehow with yet another text document :eek: inside my ruuveal folder,all there was were the zips,i dont recall it showing anything else in there.

if you need a i can upload this decrypted ruu somewhere for you to look at,or copy/paste the rest of the android info documents. as soon as i get my m8 set up,ill try and flash them all and see what happens. that may be a couple days,tho.

the other thot that i had,is it possible to simply DD system back instead of using ruu/fastboot? what about DDing back the whole phone(mmcblk0) ?

Last edited:

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I really hope it works. I'm really mad at myself for doing the conversion. Are you in Colorado now?

Yes, sir I am :)

hmm that makes sense,now,lol. a couple weeks ago a set up the ruuveal tool to decrypt ruus,and when i broke down m7 rom.zip from 4.19.401.9 it gave me 5 more zip files,instead of a bunch of images.

the first contains adsp thru tz. the next 3 each contain 2 android info documents and a system image,lables system_1,system_2,system_3 inside their respective zips. the last one contains different dz_data and tp.

at first glance,the zip files all appear the same:
Code:
modelid: PN0710000
cidnum: HTC__001
cidnum: HTC__J15
cidnum: HTC__E11
cidnum: HTC__203
cidnum: HTC__102
cidnum: HTC__405
cidnum: HTC__Y13
cidnum: HTC__A07
cidnum: HTC__304
cidnum: HTC__032
cidnum: HTC__016
mainver: 4.19.401.9
btype:1
aareport:1
DelCache:1
hbootpreupdate:3
numofsystem: 3
indexofsystem: 1
sizeofsystem: 629145600

even tho the system zips,each have a second one named android-info-1,android-info-2,android-info-3,matching the the number of the system image inside that particular zip. if thats confusing,the sustem zips each contain: androit-info.text , android-info-x.txt , and system_x.img

sorry if youre allready aware of all this,the point is that you prolly just need to get the android info documents correctly worded/formatted,and the system images all named correctly. not sure if we can manually flash the zips one at a time,or need to zip them all up together somehow with yet another text document :eek: inside my ruuveal folder,all there was were the zips,i dont recall it showing anything else in there.

if you need a i can upload this decrypted ruu somewhere for you to look at,or copy/paste the rest of the android info documents. as soon as i get my m8 set up,ill try and flash them all and see what happens. that may be a couple days,tho.

the other thot that i had,is it possible to simply DD system back instead of using ruu/fastboot? what about DDing back the whole phone(mmcblk0) ?

Yeah, I'm aware of the different info files :) I used a template zip that JMZ sent me.. hmm dding the whole system image might work.. I didn't think of that before..It could fail, but it might work.
@housry23 I'm uploading a system.img now from my AT&T version as well as my boot.img from it. Once it's done uploading I'll post the link and directions what I want you to try to get back into sense. If you don't mind giving it a try that is.

Reactions: scotty1223

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011

Yeah, I'm aware of the different info files :) I used a template zip that JMZ sent me.. hmm dding the whole system image might work.. I didn't think of that before..It could fail, but it might work.

@housry23 I'm uploading a system.img now from my AT&T version as well as my boot.img from it. Once it's done uploading I'll post the link and directions what I want you to try to get back into sense. If you don't mind giving it a try that is.

Let me know how it goes.

if the boot/system fail,I think it's worth a shot to dd the whole phone and see what happens. :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

housry23

Sep 23, 2009
Springfield, OH

I don't mind at all. Just let me know.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anyone has a REAL GPE or a converted GPE you will notice you can't flash any ROMS without getting errors. I investigated into this and this is what I found. The system partition is only a little over 1 gig where the sense system partition is 2.8 gb. So if you try to flash a sense rom on a GPE or a converted HTC m8. It will fail (because the partition is too big for the gpe partition). The only way to correct this is to flash a sense RUU when it's available.

I'm working on a new GPE conversion RUU that will use a bigger system partition. If this works (which I'm not sure it will) then it will be easy for people who to convert to go back..

Just figured I'd let everyone know.. This was NOT tha case with the m7!
    Take your time. Enjoy your vacation man. This can wait for sure!

Ok.. Here is what to try.
    1. Flash the sense bootloader
    2. Boot into android and then copy the system and boot IMG over to your internal card
    3. Boot into cwm
    4. Do a back up
    5. Go into the mounts menu and mount data.
    6. Do a wipe/factory reset
    7. Run the following commands
    adb shell

dd if=/data/media/0/system.img of =/dev/block/mmcblk0p45
    Then run
    dd if=/data/media/0/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p42

Then try booting and see if it boots into android.. If it doesn't then just restore the back up you made in step 4 or run the GPE RUU again to get back.

Boot Img: http://d-h.st/zN4
    System img: http://d-h.st/bJ5

Here is the 1.54.401.5 fw zip with spalsh (I might of included inverted splash by accident), and the system image. If someone wants to try to get an RUU going be my guest :)

FW: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407589439

Sysimage: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407589851
    Here is a link to the folder that has the split image RUU:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=14324

Run each one, one by one after each other in RUU mode.

The one with the full system image in the ruu is being uploaded now and it will be in the same folder above when it's done uploading

I don't mind at all. Just let me know.