Search This thread

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
The idea looks good on paper, but in practice it would be abused to no end.

If people have power they will abuse it. Especially on the internet.

c683

Nov 10, 2009
Minneapolis

I hear ya and you're right, that's not even just likely, but probably more of a for sure thing! But at least the "power" would only be for their own thread, the same thread they can request to be shutdown by a mod, and then that would be for everyone!

TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
As you can see, while I have been a member for little bit, I don’t really post much. I just mainly peruse a few of the main ROM threads and do some occasional flashing. With that said, I don’t know all the rules and what an OP can or can’t do with their own thread, maybe this has already been posted, but would it be possible for the OP to have full control over the thread they created? For example, A dev is kind enough to share his/her work with others and starts a ROM thread, things are positive then “user B” comes in and starts causing trouble or offending the dev, the dev then decides there is no place for that in their thread and blocks that user from their thread. So then, user B PM’s the dev, “Hey dev, why did you block me, I apologize if my comments came off as offensive and will be more constructive in the future”, dev says “ok, it’s all good” and allows them back. Human nature, if you know it is that easy to lose access to something you want, you will think twice before making rude comments.

Now I know we don’t need any more egos or power trips but what is better, closing a thread for everyone or just blocking a few from the thread that have been causing trouble.

I also know a Mod can essentially do this but it is a little different I think. Again, just a random thought while working and apologize if this has already been posted or is not even realistic. If that is the case, I am another user guilty of clutter and useless posts! :confused:

^^ agreed

The unfortunate situation is this, there are a few Devs that have gone rogue from time to time as well. The Mods are there to intervene and help maintain the peace. The recourse for anybody to use was linked in Woods post above. This has been proven to work extremely well, if utilized. It is truly as simple as that... along w/ some patience;)

Reactions: jangst123

jangst123

Dec 18, 2010
Bucks County, PA
www.allformailers.com
Quick rant as to why many of the users get mad when people don't follow the rules!

It's not just the fact that it clutters the developers thread!

Many of us have instant email notification set on our favorite threads.
When we are working and get 20 useless notifications we get a bit mad.
We have instant notifications on to see when our favorite threads are updated and to help users that run into issues.
Often waiting to see when a Developer has released an update!
Not to read 20 people upset because a release was delayed, or because some ungrateful user did not read the OP or take the time to even try to help himself.

So every time you post, you may be spamming a lot of people that were hoping the next email notification would be the developer posting the latest release.

If you want to know when the latest update comes out, I suggest you try the instant notification feature and have some patients.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Last edited:

mike.r.olson

Jun 17, 2010
Canton, GA
I know most people think this and I'm sorry if this is a pointless post in this thread, I'm just trying to express my 2 cents.

Developers that choose to share their work on XDA are special. They get to create a share-worthy ROM, or kernel, or app, or theme and they get to create a new thread to share their contribution with everybody. Before they get to post that thread though, they get to rigorously test their contribution on their phone (with the risk of potentially ruining their devices), then they get to make sure they adhere to GPL. They then get to make sure they haven't done any work that could be potentially be accused of a KANG. They then get to make a new thread in the Development, Original Development, or Themes & Apps threads. They then get to answer questions, suggestions, and sadly sometimes, demands from people who are only on XDA because they took the time to create an account and answer to a CAPTCHA. Guess what though; they do this for free. They do it because of the spirit of Android, the spirit of development, and the spirit of sharing. Most of these developers ask only for a click on a "Thanks" button. Some will direct you to a donate button, but (extremely) rarely will any developer demand a donation. (Also, that is a violation of the XDA guidelines.)

Now before I end my post, I want to admit that I'm one of the XDA users that is only here because I took the time to create an account and got lucky on the CAPTCHA. I have zero development experience, I've never created a ROM, or a kernel, or a theme, or even an app. The extent of my Android experience is being able to unzip a ROM, remove unwanted APKs, reZIP it, and flash it. The thing is, I know I'm running an unofficial, unsupported version of that ROM and I won't knock the developer if I have undesirable results from flashing my new "custom" ZIP file. I also won't share that ZIP and claim that it's MIKE.R.OLSON.ROM.

Long story short: Thank you a million times over to any, any, ANY developer that decides to share their contribution with the XDA community. While there are a few that make it difficult, I just hope that I've said what most of us are thinking.

Thanks again developers and thanks again XDA.

Last edited:

AppzTheGawd

Dec 16, 2012
eta's

Haven't even been here long but the amount of eta ?'s I've seen is crazy ... everyone has a life... kind of.

Qverse

Apr 29, 2006
Some of the blame also falls back on the users who do know what they are doing, because instead of helping educate the less-than-friendly user they actually post responses than incite even more anger leading to that user feeling like they are being "jumped" per se.

Really this falls back on the xda community as a whole, I know I've posted things before that could have been worded in a way that would have better served the user and the community, instead of my own cynicism or ego.. none of us are perfect, that includes the Devs.

Thank you I agree bro some responses are less-than-friendly or helping educate.. +1

Kamau54

Mar 30, 2011
From where the wind begins....
Let me just throw in my one cent worth (Uncle Sam took the other penny for taxes).
I have been taking pictures for over 35 years now, and I love it. I do weddings, graduations, some modeling and just about all of it. But I don't charge for doing so because photography is a thing I love too much to adulterate it by taking money. It is not my job, but my hobby. I do it when I want, how I want, because I want.
I get compliments left & right about my work, but there are times when there are those who don't like what they see let me know. And you know what.....It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter because I am doing it for me, and no one else. I appreciate the compliments, but I simply don't let the negatives dictate how I do what I love doing. If I did that, that mean that others are making the choices for me, through me. But most importantly, no one can see the pride I put into my pictures but me. Others may appreciate it, but it's only me who can know what it was like to get that shot, to see what I saw at that moment to make me press the release at the right time. I did that., and no one can take it away from me.
So to all the developers, I say this........don't let those who whine, complain, bicker, chide and gripe about the work you do out here cause you to feel anything more thatn a sense of accomplishment at what you've done. Because in the end, 99% of us out here couldn't do it if we tried. But also, once you've completed what you set out to do, take a minute to just let it sit there on the screen and look at it. Remember all the work you put into it, and admire the outcome. Don't let others make you say, "they don't appreciate it....I'm done". If you do that, you have not only allowed them to control your art, but you've allowed them to control YOU. They have in essence driven YOU away from doing what YOU have a talent, dedication & compassion to do. But I promise you that also for every petty response you read in the threads, you will find 10 who have whole-heartedly said "Thanks". Know that what you have put together is now on hundreds of phones all across the planet. That means that a little bit of you is out there as well, and guarenteed that at any given moment, someone you'll probably never meet is saying to the phones owner "Man, that phone looks sweet. How can I get mine like that?". That will be because of you.
I will say it too, to all the devs who make roms, kernels, themes and apps..........Thank You.

iamx89

Nov 27, 2010
Let me just throw in my one cent worth (Uncle Sam took the other penny for taxes).
I have been taking pictures for over 35 years now, and I love it. I do weddings, graduations, some modeling and just about all of it. But I don't charge for doing so because photography is a thing I love too much to adulterate it by taking money. It is not my job, but my hobby. I do it when I want, how I want, because I want.
I get compliments left & right about my work, but there are times when there are those who don't like what they see let me know. And you know what.....It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter because I am doing it for me, and no one else. I appreciate the compliments, but I simply don't let the negatives dictate how I do what I love doing. If I did that, that mean that others are making the choices for me, through me. But most importantly, no one can see the pride I put into my pictures but me. Others may appreciate it, but it's only me who can know what it was like to get that shot, to see what I saw at that moment to make me press the release at the right time. I did that., and no one can take it away from me.
So to all the developers, I say this........don't let those who whine, complain, bicker, chide and gripe about the work you do out here cause you to feel anything more thatn a sense of accomplishment at what you've done. Because in the end, 99% of us out here couldn't do it if we tried. But also, once you've completed what you set out to do, take a minute to just let it sit there on the screen and look at it. Remember all the work you put into it, and admire the outcome. Don't let others make you say, "they don't appreciate it....I'm done". If you do that, you have not only allowed them to control your art, but you've allowed them to control YOU. They have in essence driven YOU away from doing what YOU have a talent, dedication & compassion to do. But I promise you that also for every petty response you read in the threads, you will find 10 who have whole-heartedly said "Thanks". Know that what you have put together is now on hundreds of phones all across the planet. That means that a little bit of you is out there as well, and guarenteed that at any given moment, someone you'll probably never meet is saying to the phones owner "Man, that phone looks sweet. How can I get mine like that?". That will be because of you.
I will say it too, to all the devs who make roms, kernels, themes and apps..........Thank You.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If a negative comment can keep you from doing something, you were doing it for the wrong reason in the first place. Do it because of the way it makes YOU feel but also take pride in seeing that many people do appreciate it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Kamau54

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IF YOU WERE GIVEN A LINK TO THIS THREAD BY ANOTHER MEMBER OF XDA IT'S PROBABLY FOR A GOOD REASON!
    PLEASE HEED THE WARNING, TAKE A LITTLE LESSON IN POSTING ETIQUETTE, BEFORE YOU ARE REPORTED TO A MOD, IF THAT HAS NOT ALREADY HAPPENED.

Far too often people post in threads without thinking of the developers feelings and it's becoming a big problem!
    Think of it this way!
    You just spent countless hours working building your new custom car.
    Now your such a nice guy you let people take it for a drive and check it out for FREE!
    How would feel if they come back and most LOVE IT and appreciate the work you've done but,,
    some say..
    "It uses too much gas"
    "It's way too slow"
    "It hesitates when I tow a tractor trailer"
    "I Hate the colors"

If you were the developer sharing your hard work for free and reading comments like that, you would think, Dam What a ^%*&%^*& *&^*&^, why am letting people trash my hard work!?! Heck with this, I don't need this!

THINK A LITTLE BEFORE POSTING!!

In stead of saying
    "This ROM sucks the life out of my battery"
    Try
    "How is everyone's battery life on this? I'm getting 10 hours with 2 hours screen on time. This is my 3rd battery cycle, I'm on WIFI 90% of the time. I installed BetterBattery Stats and it shows xxx. Any recommendations / ideas? Also did A Clean with a full wipe, did not flash and mods / kernels" Even better add a Logcat, you may find in the logcat that X app is checking your location every 2 seconds and shows up 1000 times in the log.

In stead of saying
    "This sucks! Every time I open the camera it crashes"
    Try
    "Is anyone else having this problem? For some reason every time I open the camera app it crashes. I tried redownloading the ROM, double checked the MD5, did a clean install, full wipe, and let it sit for 10 min after 1st boot then rebooted. Attached is the Logcat I grabbed using CatLog from the play store"

Look at that! That way your not assuming that the developer messed up! And you may actually be being helpful by providing a Logcat so he can actually look into the problem.
    Making statements without providing information is,, well rude and not helpful to anyone!
    And worst of all, it can discourage or drive the Developers away!
    If you were smart enough to be able to make your own ROM - Kernel you would not need the Developers help, and could fix it yourself!
    Most of us do not have the time and or brains to be a developer!
    So PLEASE show some respect to the Developers that are kind enough to share their work with us for FREE!
    Hit their Thanks Button often, and consider buying them a Coke or Redbull aka Donate :highfive:

Same basic principal goes for when you reply to someone!
    IMO if the question has already been asked and answered, quote the last answer. Or the part of the OP with the answer.
    Better yet quote a few of the last times the question was answered and show that you can use the search feature.
    To me, if you can show me the question has been answered 3 times already, I feel like a fool with egg on my face and will STFU.

Smart comments and rude answers, even just saying, use search, usually just leads to more useless comments and bickering for all of us to read through!
    If you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say anything! Just move on

Next time you see someone posting like a jerk, try to provide a nice helpful answer and direct them to this post for a little lesson and consider reporting the post!! See next post for more info!

Please get with the program or expect to be reported and possibly banned for a period!
    This includes asking or hinting at an ETA! Don't do it!

On that note here are a few words form Woody about reporting trouble makers :D

Use your best judgment. We don't need gestapo type reporting, but you get the idea of what is needed.

It would behoove (yes I said behoove) people to maybe look at how a report is done. My buddy TonyStark had put a thread together a while ago on how to use the Report function. {Guide} Getting a Moderators help. I also have it linked in my signature, as well. It can be intimidating a bit when you hit that button. Hopefully this will help.

One thing that I might add regarding the reluctance to report you posted above. All reports are anonymous. Only people who know the names are us (Mods) and the User who reported it. Not the person who is being reported (unless you, yourself post in the thread "Reported")

Now at this point, I think that we have strayed from what this thread is trying to accomplish. Posting with Proper Etiquette. Let's turn it back to that, so that when people who are linked back here will understand why. You can always shoot me a PM if you have a question or anything like that.

And for crying out loud please learn to Logcat! There are apps for that that can make it easy.
    Plus in my never to be humble opinion, if you can't logcat, you should not be flashing anything!

Also read this!

And I recommend reading the following from Recognized Contributor TonyStark

So you are tired of being called a noob - I want to shake the noob status
    First and most important, read this New User Guides
    Maybe a sticky is needed here.;)

Not likely BUT this does give me an idea about something a little more (un)official that we could post and stick. I'm going to write something up and pitch it to the team and see what they think and refer them back to this thread.

I like the idea, but it has to be as general and vanilla as possible and cannot be black and white, otherwise it won't work.

You would think so!
    But sadly we have all seen them and way too often.
    I think some people just forget themselves sometimes, at least I would like to think not that many, are that rude, all the time.

You have no idea my man. No idea. You should see some of the stuff we deal with.

I agree with what the OP is saying, however Devs also need to keep in mind there are many "not so savvy" Android users who wouldn't know how to run a logcat, even though they may have learned some of the basics of flashing. I think sometimes (and I'm not making excuses) some Devs are a little hot-headed and need to remember that there are always idiots out there who can ruin it for the rest of us.

Easy to just add the offending user to the ignore list.. instead of screwing over the people who are treating the Dev with respect.. just saying..

But yes, I still agree with the OP.

I like everything about this post. Some people need to be handheld just a bit longer so they can take their first steps. It is Pete and Re-Pete that are the problems.

In the old days, it was Logcat or GTFO. Then the stone got ground down a bit, then a bit more and now we are here. We are trying to make things more Developer oriented and to make it so that Devs are more cherished than they are now, but it all stems from how to get Users to realize this. Hopefully some guidelines and better n-etiquette will help to usher us back to those days.

I've known jangst123 for a long time, so I know that he is very passionate about this and wants the threads to be filled with awesome ROMs but also the community at-large to be a great place to get help, cool mods or bleeding edge development. I think that we all really want that, right? So let's make it happen.
    Q: How do I contact a forum Moderator for -fill in the blank- on a problem with -fill in the blank-

I have been on XDA for years and have always found these steps to be the best. Not only for you but for the process as well. Please remember to be patient. If you do not receive a message (shown in 4) within 5 days, please re-post.

1) In the upper right hand corner OF EVERY POST you will find this.Click on the caution sign.

Step%201.PNG

and now in 2013 format

Step%201a.PNG

2) Please fill the pertinent information into this screen. PLEASE do not make it personal or use colorful language. Just be brief and to the point

Step%202.PNG

3) You need to make a selection in the drop down. PLEASE do not be overzealous in choosing a topic. In 95% of cases you will only need to choose Other - Non-urgent

Step%203.PNG

4) You will receive a message

Step%204.PNG

In most cases this will be followed by a resolution.

Hope this helps:)
    Some of the blame also falls back on the users who do know what they are doing, because instead of helping educate the less-than-friendly user they actually post responses than incite even more anger leading to that user feeling like they are being "jumped" per se.

Really this falls back on the xda community as a whole, I know I've posted things before that could have been worded in a way that would have better served the user and the community, instead of my own cynicism or ego.. none of us are perfect, that includes the Devs.