Post JB update Navigation/Maps crash

Search This thread

stupidchicken03

Jun 18, 2011
In the SAC of CA
www.i-club.com
I have my bone stock VZ GS3 that got the official OTA for JB 4.1.1.

Since the update whenever I launch Navigation it will open, location lock, get desired directions, and usually crash within a few minutes.

I think it has something to do with Maps because when I check the Play Store, a lot of other GS3 users have been complaining of similar issues since the update.

Now is there anything that can be done on my end to possibly help? Or am I just stuck waiting for an update to the app?

HHF2

Dec 21, 2010
Chadbourn, NC
Have you tried going into application manager, force stop, and clear data? If that doesn't work, I would reboot into recovery, wipe caches, and fix permissions,

I had a similar problem and this worked for me,

xderiwx

Jan 16, 2013
I cant say ive experienced that exact problem, but since the OTA i have had a bunch of other bugs that werent present prior to the update. Many threads online about them also. Factory reset has helped some, but not all.

stupidchicken03

Jun 18, 2011
In the SAC of CA
www.i-club.com
So I think the issue is still related to the JB update.

I did what HHF2 suggested and it didnt help. I have a couple friends running the latest milestone ROM from AOKP and their Maps/Nav works just fine.
So I rooted, unlocked, and ROM'd to the same one....only to continue to get force closes, to the point where within 2 blocks today, it closed 6 times..

Talking to one of the friends tonight, I found out that they never installed the official JB OTA, they went from ICS to the AOKP JB ROM. So that is bringing me back to think that something in the update screwed things up :(

sweeds

Jul 13, 2011
Boston
Try all of the following

• Clear data for Maps
  • Clear data for Google Services Framework
  • Uninstall and Reinstall Maps and Naviation
  • Fix Permissions (custom recovery > advanced)

You could download an .apk for an older version of maps/nav to confirm if it's the latest release.

If all of that doesn't work and you still get Force Closes, then something deeper is going on. Download a logcat script capture (I use aLogCat) and post your results after replicating the FC. Hope this guidance helps you in some way. GL.

Reactions: stupidchicken03

stupidchicken03

Jun 18, 2011
In the SAC of CA
www.i-club.com
Try all of the following

• Clear data for Maps

You could download an .apk for an older version of maps/nav to confirm if it's the latest release.

If all of that doesn't work and you still get Force Closes, then something deeper is going on. Download a logcat script capture (I use aLogCat) and post your results after replicating the FC. Hope this guidance helps you in some way. GL.
Did the 4 bullet points in that order. So far, things seem to be a bit better, but it still says "searching for GPS" but at the same time I dont get great service inside my house. So tonight when I head out ill see if I can get a GPS lock on.

Even before when it was "searching for GPS" I could move the map around zoom in/out and it would force close after just a few seconds. Its better because I can scroll around and it hasnt closed yet.

sweeds

Jul 13, 2011
Boston
Glad to hear there is some improvement!

Download an app called GPS Status. It will tell you how many Satellites you're locked onto, and you can download the aGPS patch fix.

Sent via SGS3 using Tapatalk

stupidchicken03

Jun 18, 2011
In the SAC of CA
www.i-club.com
Well now that I'm out of the house it has FC on my twice within 3mins :(

Think I'll try an older version APK. Any idea where to start my search for that?

I went back and read the GS3 reviews on Maps in the play store and a lot of ppl have the same issues :(

stupidchicken03

Jun 18, 2011
In the SAC of CA
www.i-club.com
I went to that site and downloaded a .zip file of a previous version. Do I just load the whole .zip file from CWM? I didnt see (may have missed it) any APKs, they all seemed to be market links or .zip

I also just installed aLogCat. Booted Navigation and after it crashed I opened LogCat and it said "reading logs, please wait" and nothing ever happened.

sweeds

Jul 13, 2011
Boston
I went to that site and downloaded a .zip file of a previous version. Do I just load the whole .zip file from CWM? I didnt see (may have missed it) any APKs, they all seemed to be market links or .zip

I also just installed aLogCat. Booted Navigation and after it crashed I opened LogCat and it said "reading logs, please wait" and nothing ever happened.

I assume you just need to unzip the file and there's an apk in there.

For aLogCat, make sure you hit the play button first off. Also, go into settings and make sure the level is set to "verbose"

Sent via SGS3 using Tapatalk

stupidchicken03

Jun 18, 2011
In the SAC of CA
www.i-club.com
Already tried unzipping it but there are no APKs in there.

For aLogCat, it was already set to verbose and when I open the program it says its running and only has the "pause" button. If I hit pause, I can then hit play, but it doesnt do anything again.

sweeds

Jul 13, 2011
Boston
Google Maps APK Links:
http://www.androiddrawer.com/6632/download-maps-6-12-0-app-apk/#.USKzelqY5b0

Current version is 6.14.2, if you look on the right-hand side you can see different versions. This link is for the last major release, 6.12.0.

I recommend clearing Google Maps data, uninstall, then install using the prev version release apk. If the FC's stop, then we can confirm that the problem is a bug in the latest update to the app. Good luck :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: stupidchicken03

stupidchicken03

Jun 18, 2011
In the SAC of CA
www.i-club.com
Google Maps APK Links:

Current version is 6.14.2, if you look on the right-hand side you can see different versions. This link is for the last major release, 6.12.0.

I recommend clearing Google Maps data, uninstall, then install using the prev version release apk. If the FC's stop, then we can confirm that the problem is a bug in the latest update to the app. Good luck :good:
Did all that and installed both 6.12 and 6.10 versions with no luck :(

I honestly think its something with the JB update and not just Maps.. but then again idk why mine didnt work after using Odin to go back to 4.0.4

The screenshot below is just 5 of the most recent ratings for Maps on the GS3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try all of the following

• Clear data for Maps

Google Maps APK Links: