[ROOT][GUIDE]How To Root HTC Butterfly X920D

Search This thread

mccmjoon76

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2009
Here is a simple guide for anyone interested in rooting the HTC Butterfly X920D :)

It's work for me .. but i am not responsible for anything that happens to your device, if u really don't know what u are doing please don't do this .. you've been warned.

1st Step:
1-Unlock the bootloader - HTC Com

Some Idea how to do it = Big thanks to ashwin123

2-Flash TWRP on your Phone : Download and Unzip this tools HERE http://d-h.st/2x9 to Flash TWRP recovery on your Butterfly (just for window) it works for me -thanks joaquinf
3-To get root HERE http://d-h.st/qdq or this http://download.clockworkmod.com/superuser/superuser.zip (update 11.3.14)
Place the SuperSU .zip file on your sdcard
From TWRP, tap Install
Find the file and select it
Swipe the arrow from left to right to install
Tap Reboot System
Done

Watch how to do it : Big thanks to ashwin123 again :D

Good news u have successful to root and having recovery on your phone :) Be sure u Back up your current Build before u done any modding and flashing .

Good luck Guys :eek:

Edit: If u have more efficient way to (root) the Butterfly just post it here. i will update the op ..

PS : Latest TWRP Recovery 2.6.3.0

Sharing is JOY ;) Hit the THANKS BUTTON Please :D

Last edited:

aussie1234

Dec 24, 2008
Australia
SU Binary Update

Hi

After I installed SU I select 'binary update" and the phone just restarts/reboots,

Is there a way I can fix this?

Thanks

Aussie

aussie1234

Dec 24, 2008
Australia
Reactions: mccmjoon76

mccmjoon76

Jul 27, 2009
I update the OP

I forgot i get it from where - thanks to who that upload it :)

Now i confirm this SuperSu and buzybox work .. no update issue ..
http://d-h.st/qdq

Enjoy

Last edited:

Leonidas1989

Feb 19, 2013
Help!!!!

Hi guys:

First off I just want to say that I am relatively new to all this. I have successfully rooted my Samsung galaxy S2 in the past (through completely different strategies) and I would really very much appreciated if any of you guys would be able to help me out as I have been trying to root my HTC butterfly for the last 3 hours. And I apologize in advance if the question has been raised before or is nooby, please I am desperate.

I have used a different method than the one instructed on this website in order to root my phone.

These are the steps:

Windows-based PC
HTC Butterfly
Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download HTC USB Driver for Windows
Enable Developer Options on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. How To Enable Developer Options On Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (Optional – Only applicable for Android 4.2 and above)
Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
Download

1. All-In-One Toolkit For The HTC Butterfly (Droid_DNA_All-In-One_Kit_v2.1.rar, 22.28MB) – Development Page
Instructions:

Register an account on HTCDEV.
With all the necessary files downloaded, extract Desire_DNA_All-In-One_Kit_v2.1.rar into a folder.
Launch the exe file within the extracted folder.
Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable.
Straight to “Get Token ID” and press “Go“.
A pop-up window will appeared in your computer. Patiently wait until the code complete run.
Right click on the pop-up windows, select “Mark”.
Left click to select the code started from <<<<Identifier Token Start>>>> to <<<<Identifier Token End>>>>. Right click it.
Back to the AIO ToolKit interface, proceed to “Submit Token ID” then “Go“.
A new windows will pop-up. Scroll down the page.
Paste the code under “My Device Identifier Token” and “Submit“
An email will sent to your registered email under HTCDev account.
Download the attached file along with the email.
Copy and paste the downloaded file to data folder within folder extracted in Step 2.
Proceed to “Unlock Bootloader” in AIO Toolkit and “Go“.
In your phone, you will be asked to unlock bootloader. Select Yes to continue.
After the code complete running, your phone will now reboot automatically.
Download CWR and place the downloaded file in the “data” folder of extracted files in step 2.

Your HTC Butterfly has been successfully rooted and with ClockWorkMod Recovery installed.

I have followed the instructions as listed and my phone did reboot and my data was completly wiped clean. However I am not able to do the last step where it tells me to place my ClockWorkMod. I downloaded the file as instructed but I don't think it worked. I installed TitaniumBackUp and RootChecker and both have suggested that my phone has not been rooted.

What should I do now? Should I try using the steps again? I'm afraid that this might "brick" my phone if done repeatedly. Any advice???

Please any help would be immensely appreciated.

Regards,

David

Reactions: tevi007

mccmjoon76

Jul 27, 2009
Hi guys:

First off I just want to say that I am relatively new to all this. I have successfully rooted my Samsung galaxy S2 in the past (through completely different strategies) and I would really very much appreciated if any of you guys would be able to help me out as I have been trying to root my HTC butterfly for the last 3 hours. And I apologize in advance if the question has been raised before or is nooby, please I am desperate.

I have used a different method than the one instructed on this website in order to root my phone.

These are the steps:

Windows-based PC
HTC Butterfly
Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download HTC USB Driver for Windows
Enable Developer Options on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. How To Enable Developer Options On Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (Optional – Only applicable for Android 4.2 and above)
Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
Download

1. All-In-One Toolkit For The HTC Butterfly (Droid_DNA_All-In-One_Kit_v2.1.rar, 22.28MB) – Development Page
Instructions:

Register an account on HTCDEV.
With all the necessary files downloaded, extract Desire_DNA_All-In-One_Kit_v2.1.rar into a folder.
Launch the exe file within the extracted folder.
Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable.
Straight to “Get Token ID” and press “Go“.
A pop-up window will appeared in your computer. Patiently wait until the code complete run.
Right click on the pop-up windows, select “Mark”.
Left click to select the code started from <<<<Identifier Token Start>>>> to <<<<Identifier Token End>>>>. Right click it.
Back to the AIO ToolKit interface, proceed to “Submit Token ID” then “Go“.
A new windows will pop-up. Scroll down the page.
Paste the code under “My Device Identifier Token” and “Submit“
An email will sent to your registered email under HTCDev account.
Download the attached file along with the email.
Copy and paste the downloaded file to data folder within folder extracted in Step 2.
Proceed to “Unlock Bootloader” in AIO Toolkit and “Go“.
In your phone, you will be asked to unlock bootloader. Select Yes to continue.
After the code complete running, your phone will now reboot automatically.
Download CWR and place the downloaded file in the “data” folder of extracted files in step 2.

Your HTC Butterfly has been successfully rooted and with ClockWorkMod Recovery installed.

I have followed the instructions as listed and my phone did reboot and my data was completly wiped clean. However I am not able to do the last step where it tells me to place my ClockWorkMod. I downloaded the file as instructed but I don't think it worked. I installed TitaniumBackUp and RootChecker and both have suggested that my phone has not been rooted.

What should I do now? Should I try using the steps again? I'm afraid that this might "brick" my phone if done repeatedly. Any advice???

Please any help would be immensely appreciated.

Regards,

David

1st congratulation u have 'brick' your phone ! No lah.... Joking :)

U have S-OFF

If follow the instruction on Step 2 u should have TWRP Recovery .

Step 3.. u need flash SuperSu and buzybox to get rooted ..

Just press power key to restart .Press and hold volume 'down' key to get to 'fastboot'

Scroll down using volume key to select 'Recovery' than u will know if u successful to flash the TWRP recovery or not .

If yes.. follow step 3 .. flash SuperSu..

Done .

Sry for the bad English.. hope u understand :)

DamBadz

Mar 10, 2012
Hey mccmjoon76 my bootloader screen have a word TAMPERED on top I wanna know it normal?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda premium

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

I unlock ma HOX+ to but I don't have that word it normal? Thx for help me bro:)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda premium

Leonidas1989

Feb 19, 2013
Still confused...

1st congratulation u have 'brick' your phone ! No lah.... Joking :)

U have S-OFF

If follow the instruction on Step 2 u should have TWRP Recovery .

Step 3.. u need flash SuperSu and buzybox to get rooted ..

Just press power key to restart .Press and hold volume 'down' key to get to 'fastboot'

Scroll down using volume key to select 'Recovery' than u will know if u successful to flash the TWRP recovery or not .

If yes.. follow step 3 .. flash SuperSu..

Done .

Sry for the bad English.. hope u understand :)

Hello! First of all I just want to say thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate someone out here helping a noob :)

But I still don't really understand what you're saying... I tried to follow the steps on step 2 and it eventually linked me to download goomanager
. From there I clicked install open script but nothing happens. The phone didn't even reboot. (By step 2 you mean the last step where it tells me to install CWR right?)

And I don't understand what you mean by flash SuperSu and busybox to get rooted. How do I do so? Also how do I know whether my phone has unlocked the bootloader? What did all the steps that I have done achieved on my phone thus far???

I'm really sorry I'm very new at this. But I appreciate your help thus far!!! If you could be able to give me a step by step it would be very much appreciated!!!!!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

mccmjoon76

Jul 27, 2009
Hello! First of all I just want to say thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate someone out here helping a noob :)

But I still don't really understand what you're saying... I tried to follow the steps on step 2 and it eventually linked me to download goomanager
. From there I clicked install open script but nothing happens. The phone didn't even reboot. (By step 2 you mean the last step where it tells me to install CWR right?)

And I don't understand what you mean by flash SuperSu and busybox to get rooted. How do I do so? Also how do I know whether my phone has unlocked the bootloader? What did all the steps that I have done achieved on my phone thus far???

I'm really sorry I'm very new at this. But I appreciate your help thus far!!! If you could be able to give me a step by step it would be very much appreciated!!!!!

Thanks again!

U need manually boot to 'fastboot' to flash recovery.. follow the step in 'read me' in the tools . .. good luck.. :)

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using xda premium

Leonidas1989

Feb 19, 2013
?

U need manually boot to 'fastboot' to flash recovery.. follow the step in 'read me' in the tools . .. good luck.. :)

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using xda premium

So have I done everything wrong so far? The steps that I have done didn't actually achieve anything?

Sorry I feel like such an idiot but where is the read me in the tools???

philippecr

May 27, 2008
Dude, you need to warn people about the "PHONE WIPE" after they did the bootloader unlocked, so people would backup their phones.

Top Liked Posts