[Q] XBMC - How to change thumbnail cache location and buffer size?

Search This thread

rotor00ter

Nov 19, 2013
Can anyone confirm that if you use an external USB drive and link2SD that it will accomplish the same thing? Do all the thumbnails get stored onto the USB drive the same as the rest of the app when you link it up? I have a very extensive library and I don't want this tiny 8 GB drive to fill right up. Thanks.

scorched03

Aug 22, 2010
Having issues subbing my thumbnails folder to my usb drive. For some reason, the below code stops caching of xbmc thumbnails on aftv, but does not cache anything onto the usb stick I have plugged into the back. I have created a thumbnails folder in root of usb called 'tb' and can't figure this out. Stickmount is set be on boot, so it reads the usb, but am I missing something?

<advancedsettings> <pathsubstitution> <substitute> <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from> <to>/storage/emulated/0/usbStorage/sda1/tb/</to> </substitute> </pathsubstitution> </advancedsettings>

Complete newb and would appreciate any help!

KarlP

Mar 1, 2011
Having issues subbing my thumbnails folder to my usb drive. For some reason, the below code stops caching of xbmc thumbnails on aftv, but does not cache anything onto the usb stick I have plugged into the back. I have created a thumbnails folder in root of usb called 'tb' and can't figure this out. Stickmount is set be on boot, so it reads the usb, but am I missing something?

<advancedsettings> <pathsubstitution> <substitute> <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from> <to>/storage/emulated/0/usbStorage/sda1/tb/</to> </substitute> </pathsubstitution> </advancedsettings>

Complete newb and would appreciate any help!
Did you try special://masterprofile/Thumbnails instead?

Also, possible XBMC is starting before your mount is ready? I think it bails if it's not there shortly after it starts.

Finally, try deleting your Textures database to force rebuilding them.

Last edited:

scorched03

Aug 22, 2010
Did you try special://masterprofile/Thumbnails instead?

Also, possible XBMC is starting before your mount is ready? I think it bails if it's not there shortly after it starts.

Finally, try deleting your Textures database to force rebuilding them.

thanks for the help, yes tried the special://masterprofile advanced settings and it didn't work. thumbnails go blank and no other thumbnails load so its the same issue as above.

i guess what i should have stated is that i boot directly into xbmc, then the stickmount note appears at the bottom saying its loaded. given the order, its likely XBMC is starting before mount is ready... is there a fix for that, or should I go back to using kindle loader, run stick mount, then go into xbmc?

DHeffernan

Dec 2, 2012
thanks for the help, yes tried the special://masterprofile advanced settings and it didn't work. thumbnails go blank and no other thumbnails load so its the same issue as above.

i guess what i should have stated is that i boot directly into xbmc, then the stickmount note appears at the bottom saying its loaded. given the order, its likely XBMC is starting before mount is ready... is there a fix for that, or should I go back to using kindle loader, run stick mount, then go into xbmc?

I haven't had a chance to implement this yet. But I will probably encounter your exact issue as my XBMC auto loads also on the fireTV..

have you figured anything out yet?

bam099

Aug 19, 2004
Any issues with speeds? I did something similar using folder mount to move my data to my USB Drive and the slow speeds were horrible and I had to go back.
also......any update on issues with stickmount not loading before xbmc?

bobdapunk

Jul 9, 2008
Yes, just change the TO section to your smb path. I had to put a user : pass@ in there to get my stuff working.

I actually have it both ways, a home profile that stores everything on network storage and then an offline profile that I put everything on an attached USB drive. Advanced settings within each profile controls it all.

I wanted to follow up with the exact format for windows smb shares, as I needed to to additional searching.

Code:
  <pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
      <from>/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
      <to>SMB://MyUser:Password1234@SERVERNAME/SHARENAME/KodiPath/Thumbnails/</to>
    </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>

Also note that the <from> "special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/" that works on my windows setups did not works on the Amazon Fire TV Kodi 14 install.

jakepe

May 29, 2007
anyone who can explain to me, how to change the advanced setting xml on an fire tv that is not rooted
i would like to change the Thumbnails directory from the fire tv to my Nas ...

phi303

Jan 2, 2011
Arvada
phinguyen.squarespace.com
Anything else I can move over?

Currently:
HTML:
<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>/storage/sdcard1/external_sdcard/</to>
  </substitute>
 </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Are there any other file paths I can do this with to slim down KODI on my FireTV?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    is there a way to do the same over an smb share?
    Yes, just change the TO section to your smb path. I had to put a user : pass@ in there to get my stuff working.

I actually have it both ways, a home profile that stores everything on network storage and then an offline profile that I put everything on an attached USB drive. Advanced settings within each profile controls it all.