Vienna
metal Detector for HTC HD2
idea & code: 6Fg8
artwork: youmeus

metalDetector.png

supported devices
HTC HD2, nothing else!

How it works
The built-in compass uses the earth's magnetic field to calculate the deviation from magnetic north. As with every compass, if you put a piece of metal nearby, it gets deviated. Thats what i use here to detect metal.

Testing
Place your device flat on a surface. After starting the app, the gauge should show zero. If it doesnt, take your device and write a couple of "eights" in the air (this is to get rid of magnetism which might get stuck in the sensors).
Then use a pair of scissor or something the like and move it slowly to the right side of your device. At a distance of approx. 5 cm. the gauge should start to move. Take your device and move it with its right side near metals, and see if the gauge shows values.

How to recalibrate the electronic compass
Info
Video

Version history
v1.0
- detection algorithm improved (tilt compensation)
- sensitivity slider (red) now working
- continous ticking after app exit solved
- new app icon, thanks jaguaralani
- now uses HW accelerated opengl (problem with silvermoon solved, thanks Phippu)
v0.2
changed skin, added sound ticks and vibration
v0.1
first public release (alpha)

download metal detector

planned for future versions
DONE new skin
DONE sound ticks
DONE- vibration
DONE adjustable sensitivity (offset no longer needed)
DONE improved detection algorithm
- 3rd party skinning options
- save vibrate and sound settings

-additional skin:
MD-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ganzeegeezer

djcedric

Feb 23, 2008
geraardsbergen
Hey DJ, always one of the first :D

i try to see it all you know,btw i really like to follow you and what your dooing again and of course very impressed as i know its coming from a girl ;)

Tested and working fine,also when i turn my device to the right the nail is gooing up but when the device is flat its working fine,thanks.

Russiwluv

May 9, 2009
Cool device man! Keep on the good job...

are there already results? Can we say that this app is accurate?

I can use it very good but I need to rely on it that it shows the right values...

madindehead

Apr 14, 2009
Um, how can this work? I thought it was a digital compass that was in the phone, not a genuine magnetic compass... Not doubting your hard work here. I just didn't think it was a genuine physical compass in either the HD2 or the iPhone.

Sorry, a bit confused.

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
Um, how can this work? I thought it was a digital compass that was in the phone, not a genuine magnetic compass... Not doubting your hard work here. I just didn't think it was a genuine physical compass in either the HD2 or the iPhone.

Sorry, a bit confused.

It is a real sensor, a magneto-inductive sensor that can pick up the earths magnetic field and work out its direction of flow, and hence north. Although we think of them as 'digital compasses', they are more accurately 'electronic compasses' with no moving parts.

secoseco

Mar 26, 2006
WWE
Hello Madam

Thank you for this magnificent application
I think it should be added to the benefits of this application is to make sure that the compass does not have a magnetic effect before use to ensure the accuracy of the compass

youmeus

Jul 6, 2005
f-ing cool...keep up the good work. If you need some stuff designed so that it looks pretty send me a PM.

Aug 5, 2008
Amazing ...

Absolutely amazing !!
I am new to the HTC devices and I was being just a regular user (also curious)...
After that I'll start program for this devices too !

Fantastic job ! Congrats !

6Fg8

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 13, 2008
Vienna

Sorry, a bit confused.
There's a real, physical magnetic compass in the device. Its an AK8976A from Asahi Kasei company. Here is a link to the manufactorer.

6Fg8

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 13, 2008
Vienna
Hello Madam

Thank you for this magnificent application
I think it should be added to the benefits of this application is to make sure that the compass does not have a magnetic effect before use to ensure the accuracy of the compass
Right, unfortunately this cant be done with a button click. Take your device and write some "eights" in the air (like waving a friend :))

f-ing cool...keep up the good work. If you need some stuff designed so that it looks pretty send me a PM.
I'd really appreciate some good ideas to make it cool looking, so thanks for the offer. Only thing i'd like to keep is the gauge-style.

works great, but items need to be about 1-2 cm for me for the needle to move :)
Thats what i expected, the detection algorithm is far from perfect.

Hi,

great app, please make decibel meter also.

with friendly greet

starbase64
Some guys already did that, look for "PocketRTA Ultra". Amazing piece of software. link

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    metal Detector for HTC HD2
    idea & code: 6Fg8
    artwork: youmeus

metalDetector.png

supported devices
    HTC HD2, nothing else!

How it works
    The built-in compass uses the earth's magnetic field to calculate the deviation from magnetic north. As with every compass, if you put a piece of metal nearby, it gets deviated. Thats what i use here to detect metal.

Testing
    Place your device flat on a surface. After starting the app, the gauge should show zero. If it doesnt, take your device and write a couple of "eights" in the air (this is to get rid of magnetism which might get stuck in the sensors).
    Then use a pair of scissor or something the like and move it slowly to the right side of your device. At a distance of approx. 5 cm. the gauge should start to move. Take your device and move it with its right side near metals, and see if the gauge shows values.

How to recalibrate the electronic compass
    Info
    Video

Version history
    v1.0
    - detection algorithm improved (tilt compensation)
    - sensitivity slider (red) now working
    - continous ticking after app exit solved
    - new app icon, thanks jaguaralani
    - now uses HW accelerated opengl (problem with silvermoon solved, thanks Phippu)
    v0.2
    changed skin, added sound ticks and vibration
    v0.1
    first public release (alpha)

download metal detector

planned for future versions
    DONE new skin
    DONE sound ticks
    DONE- vibration
    DONE adjustable sensitivity (offset no longer needed)
    DONE improved detection algorithm
    - 3rd party skinning options
    - save vibrate and sound settings

-additional skin:
    MD-1.jpg

Here is the original .cab file v1.0.0.0. All credits go to 6Fg8 and youmeus.
    View attachment metalDetector.CAB