[Q] No audio at all [SOLVED]

Search This thread

dde333

Mar 2, 2012
Atlanta
Hey all. I have no sound. Zero. I tried re-flashing zeus - no go. Tried clearing/resetting everything via cwm - nope. I tried GTG twice - nada. Even back at stock, I've got nothing. I can hear my voicemail, but no system tones, no ringtones, no audio on videos - both youtube and local to phone. Alarms won't work. Nothing!!

After pouring over these threads, I tried headphones, and they work - but no headphone icon at top of my screen. I'm at my wit's end and am pulling out my hair. Does anyone have any ideas? Please?

Last edited:
Reactions: Murtuoso

~wolverine~

Sep 20, 2011
Kentucky
Start with the simplest solution first. Is the media volume turned up? btw I don't have a headphone icon either but I'm not sure it had one to start with.

Running Zeus 6 also.

dde333

Mar 2, 2012
Atlanta
Start with the simplest solution first. Is the media volume turned up? btw I don't have a headphone icon either but I'm not sure it had one to start with.

Running Zeus 6 also.

uhhhh, yeah. I've checked all the sounds like 80 times - After each restore, reload, refresh, reboot, re-flash to stock, re-wipe, re-unameit. lol

I just hope it's not hardware related, although if it were, I'd think I'd have had to change something or move something that I hadn't. I just removed my ext sd card about 15 minutes ago, but nothing there either. :(

qkster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2011
USA
the best hope that you will have if it's not hardware related:

take out microsd card.
factory reset from /settings/privacy/reset

heimdall 1 click with repartition and bootloaders

do it twice for good measures

run the complete stock rom...

if that doesn't work, it may be hardware corrosion

Clark Joseph Kent

Senior Mod / Moderator & RC-RT Committees Lead
Staff member
Dec 17, 2011
www.marines.com
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
I hav had this happen believe it or not i just gave the phone a slight twist holding it at the ends...sounds funky not a hard twist...but i got my sound back..i keep it in a ballastic case now...my infuse is a lil older and has seen to much desert heat...

True story...

Sent by Aeon (bigfau's) Awesomeness via me !

dde333

Mar 2, 2012
Atlanta
OK, y'all. I've got news and info on this issue. After trying everything possible short of throwing it into the river, I figured it was def hardware related. I, of course prayed & am convinced that is the real reason it started working, bit jic here is what I did. I checked online just to see (I'm not an idiot, I wasn't going to take it apart. Well, probably not). But I was still all for slapping and twisting and flicking the heck out of it. Then, I decided to look at the other side of it. So I removed the battery and there is a tiny little slit-like hole there. I got out a safety pin and just kinda wiggled of a bit mostly toward the inside of phone. Lo and behold sound was working when I turned it back on. I can't believe it! I'm so happy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA

EDIT: It's easier to type on PC than on phone, so now I can make a short story even longer. haha. I should mention that this could be risky if done wrong, if that's not obvious for some people, and could screw your phone even more, so BE CAREFUL!!!

I'd consider using something flat enough to get in there, but not as sharp as a pin. I was just Macguyver-ing it. You do have to remove the batt cover, but don't need to take the batt out to get to the slit, but you may want to - in case of interference from metal pin and whatever. To be more specific to where this is: the external speaker is located on the backside of the phone - bottom, left. Duh, right?

Also, take this time to clean out any dust/crud that may have gathered in the tiny little cracks and corners, which accumulates more for those of us that remove the batt cover often, like putting phone in DL mode and such. Don't use alcohol or anything - this is a good place to use the pin or needle, and especially blow on it.

At one point, I had phone on and video going to gauge whether anything I was doing specifically was working or not. I never got sound to work that way, but it's still a plausible idea for someone else to try. Anyway, I hope this helps someone else out there. I like to include as many details as possible when I post stuff b/c it helps me when others are specific. So, let me know if this was helpful to you and good luck!

Last edited:

qkster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2011
USA
OK, y'all. I've got news and info on this issue. After trying everything possible short of throwing it into the river, I figured it was def hardware related. I, of course prayed & am convinced that is the real reason it started working, bit jic here is what I did. I checked online just to see (I'm not an idiot, I wasn't going to take it apart. Well, probably not). But I was still all for slapping and twisting and flicking the heck out of it. Then, I decided to look at the other side of it. So I removed the battery and there is a tiny little slit-like hole there. I got out a safety pin and just kinda wiggled of a bit mostly toward the inside of phone. Lo and behold sound was working when I turned it back on. I can't believe it! I'm so happy!

good job.

to help other misfits, you can change the title of your op to [SOLVED] ..etc... :)

thomasmaio

Sep 7, 2012
Some clarification on repairing speaker / restoring power

This is a great post and worked for me so I wanted to clarify some more detail.

Diagnosis: My external speaker would not work or work intermitently. I could hear on my handset and headphones but could not use speaker for conversations, media, etc.

I tried reseting with/without power on.

Tried factory resetting the phone.

Tried "headphone sex" (removing headphones in and out quickly as the software may have a glitch where it does not recognize the headphones were removed hence restoring external sound to the speaker) This is NOT a common problem with the Infuse but with other Samsung phones like the Captivate I believe.

After many people having similar symptoms I saw this post and figured it was a power issue/hardware not software problem.

Previous post....

1. I could not find a small hole to put a safety pin through (as previously posted). I used a paperclip as it is less pointy and less damaging and there wasn't a single hole to put it through.

MY RESOLUTION/REPAIR THAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM (same issue just different way to fix as I did not find any hole to put a pin through)

2. you will need to remove the back cover of the phone. Remove the battery cover, battey, sim card, and ext SD card. There are 6 small jewelry type screws. You should have an eyeglass kit screwdriver or jewelry kit with small screwdrivers. I did manage to use a small regular screwdriver but it really did not fit and could strip the heads of the screws.

3. Once the 6 screws are out, remove the back cover of the phone. Mine was a little hard to remove. The top is the earphone jack and the cover goes over the earphone jack, so great care should be made to try and take the top off last. For mine, the side was easiest to remove first( in the middle). Little by little you should be able to work your way around the edges until it is all separated from the screen/front.

*TIP Do not worry about parts coming out. The back cover is secured with the 6 screws. The rest of the phone and boards are screwed down to the front/screen so all you are doing is removing the back cover.

4. Once the back cover is separated from the front/screen, locate where the speaker lies in the back cover and where it comes to meet the front/screen. You will see two small gold square tabs on the back of the back cover next to the speaker. If you look where these connect to the front/screen you will see another two small gold tabs. These ones are NOT flat. They actually sit up and are hinge like. ***THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS****.

5. As the phone ages and gets used aka banged dropped wet, etc, these tabs lose their "springyness" and pressure so they get flat and fail to contact the other tabs next to the speaker, resulting in no power getting to the speaker or intermitent power as they make contact. THIS IS WHY IF YOU READ OTHER POST ON OTHER FORUMS YOU WILL SEE PEOPLE SAYING THUMPING OR PRESSING ON THE SPEAKER MAKES IT WORK INTERMITENTLY!

6. Get a pair of tweezers and slide one side of the tweezers between one of the small gold tabs on the front/screen side of the phone. BE CAREFUL! The tabs are very small thin and fragile so go slow and make sure you are between where the tab mounts to the circuitboard and where it sticks up to contact the speaker tabs. SLOWLY work the tab up so that you restore the arch or springyness back to it. It should look like this <. Do the same for the other. Basically you are raising the tab so that when you put the back cover on it makes contact with the speaker tabs, hence providing the proper power to the speaker.

7. Put the cover back on, screws, ext SD card, sim card, battery, and batter cover back on. Power up and adjust your ringer volume. You should here the speaker working.

dde333

Mar 2, 2012
Atlanta
Awesome. I'm glad my post pushed you in the right direction and am certain your post, with more details, will be helpful to others in the future. Phones are so much better with sound, aren't they? :highfive: Have a wonderful weekend.

Reactions: qkster

dormankenneth

Jan 21, 2010
I also had the problem of no sound at all, but the head phones worked flawlessly. In my case this is what it was (don't laugh) I ordered a replacement body for my phone for like ten bucks on ebay, pulled the old one off...replaced the housing and everything SEEMED to work just fine. I really didn't notice that my phone was not making any sounds until about a week later and just figured that maybe I had installed something that was conflicting with the phone or simply needed to re-flash the ROM, so I went and did just that and nothing seemed to work. Back to stock....NOTHING...New kernel...NOTHING!! I was becoming hopeless at this point till I read this thread. I had to think back to when (I think) it stopped making any sound and could only come up with the day I replaced the housing, so I retraced my tracks. LOL and what I came up with made me chuckle a little, what had happened was when I took the old back off I did not notice that the speaker is highly camouflaged near the bottom of the housing and simply needed to be snapped out and snapped back into the new housing. After this.....VIOLA..SOUND! So, maybe this can help someone that may be having the same issue and just cannot get to the bottom of it..

Thanks XDA and its members:good::good::good::good::good:

Reactions: dde333

NoLimit95

Jan 16, 2013
Madison
No Sound On Infuse

I hav had this happen believe it or not i just gave the phone a slight twist holding it at the ends...sounds funky not a hard twist...but i got my sound back..i keep it in a ballastic case now...my infuse is a lil older and has seen to much desert heat...

True story...

I have to say that this method worked like a dream for me. I couldn't believe it when I tried it. I went to "settings" -> "sound" -> "volume" -> "Incoming call volume" and then adjusted it so it would make a sound. No sound was being made but I knew it should have been so I grabbed the top and bottom and slightly gave it a little twist, just barely and the ringtone came right on and has been working perfect since. The Infuse I have is 99.9% mint condition, never been dropped and has always been inside a leather case with a full fold over front. Not even a hair line scratch on the screen, back, sides or anywhere. This is why I couldn't understand why the sound just decided to go out for no reason but anyway, this fixed it and a big thanks to "bigjoe"! I thought I was about to have to buy a new phone because I can't hear (vibrate) more than a foot or so away.

Reactions: electricpete1

Leon De Broize

Sep 20, 2013
Solution - Twist

True story...

Thanks for this info. I had lost a lot of volume. After reading your post, I tried the twist thing and bingo, it worked. Thanks very much.:)

parkerhawn

Apr 14, 2014

True story...

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR.... - just twisted my cell and BAM....sound :) I LOVE YOU!!!!! XOXOXOXO awesomeness indeed

Bedys

May 6, 2015
This actually works!

Diagnosis: My external speaker would not work or work intermitently. I could hear on my handset and headphones but could not use speaker for conversations, media, etc.

Tried "headphone sex" (removing headphones in and out quickly as the software may have a glitch where it does not recognize the headphones were removed hence restoring external sound to the speaker) This is NOT a common problem with the Infuse but with other Samsung phones like the Captivate I believe.

After many people having similar symptoms I saw this post and figured it was a power issue/hardware not software problem.

Previous post....

1. I could not find a small hole to put a safety pin through (as previously posted). I used a paperclip as it is less pointy and less damaging and there wasn't a single hole to put it through.

MY RESOLUTION/REPAIR THAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM (same issue just different way to fix as I did not find any hole to put a pin through)

2. you will need to remove the back cover of the phone. Remove the battery cover, battey, sim card, and ext SD card. There are 6 small jewelry type screws. You should have an eyeglass kit screwdriver or jewelry kit with small screwdrivers. I did manage to use a small regular screwdriver but it really did not fit and could strip the heads of the screws.

3. Once the 6 screws are out, remove the back cover of the phone. Mine was a little hard to remove. The top is the earphone jack and the cover goes over the earphone jack, so great care should be made to try and take the top off last. For mine, the side was easiest to remove first( in the middle). Little by little you should be able to work your way around the edges until it is all separated from the screen/front.

*TIP Do not worry about parts coming out. The back cover is secured with the 6 screws. The rest of the phone and boards are screwed down to the front/screen so all you are doing is removing the back cover.

4. Once the back cover is separated from the front/screen, locate where the speaker lies in the back cover and where it comes to meet the front/screen. You will see two small gold square tabs on the back of the back cover next to the speaker. If you look where these connect to the front/screen you will see another two small gold tabs. These ones are NOT flat. They actually sit up and are hinge like. ***THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS****.

5. As the phone ages and gets used aka banged dropped wet, etc, these tabs lose their "springyness" and pressure so they get flat and fail to contact the other tabs next to the speaker, resulting in no power getting to the speaker or intermitent power as they make contact. THIS IS WHY IF YOU READ OTHER POST ON OTHER FORUMS YOU WILL SEE PEOPLE SAYING THUMPING OR PRESSING ON THE SPEAKER MAKES IT WORK INTERMITENTLY!

6. Get a pair of tweezers and slide one side of the tweezers between one of the small gold tabs on the front/screen side of the phone. BE CAREFUL! The tabs are very small thin and fragile so go slow and make sure you are between where the tab mounts to the circuitboard and where it sticks up to contact the speaker tabs. SLOWLY work the tab up so that you restore the arch or springyness back to it. It should look like this <. Do the same for the other. Basically you are raising the tab so that when you put the back cover on it makes contact with the speaker tabs, hence providing the proper power to the speaker.

7. Put the cover back on, screws, ext SD card, sim card, battery, and batter cover back on. Power up and adjust your ringer volume. You should here the speaker working.

-----------------------------------------

Thank you so very much, it helped a lot to follow your directions. I realized how hard it is to remove the entire cover so I used a very small flat screw driver (eye-glasses kit) and popped open only the bottom corner where the speakers were. I could then see the hinged-like tabs and used one hand to keep the cover from snapping back shut and the other hand to "raise" the hinged side of the tabs using the same tiny flat screw driver. I raised them high enough (gently) and put the cover back in place. I then put the battery back, turned on the phone and Voila! Sound is crisp and clear once again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some clarification on repairing speaker / restoring power

Previous post....

EDIT: It's easier to type on PC than on phone, so now I can make a short story even longer. haha. I should mention that this could be risky if done wrong, if that's not obvious for some people, and could screw your phone even more, so BE CAREFUL!!!

I'd consider using something flat enough to get in there, but not as sharp as a pin. I was just Macguyver-ing it. You do have to remove the batt cover, but don't need to take the batt out to get to the slit, but you may want to - in case of interference from metal pin and whatever. To be more specific to where this is: the external speaker is located on the backside of the phone - bottom, left. Duh, right?

Also, take this time to clean out any dust/crud that may have gathered in the tiny little cracks and corners, which accumulates more for those of us that remove the batt cover often, like putting phone in DL mode and such. Don't use alcohol or anything - this is a good place to use the pin or needle, and especially blow on it.

At one point, I had phone on and video going to gauge whether anything I was doing specifically was working or not. I never got sound to work that way, but it's still a plausible idea for someone else to try. Anyway, I hope this helps someone else out there. I like to include as many details as possible when I post stuff b/c it helps me when others are specific. So, let me know if this was helpful to you and good luck!
    the best hope that you will have if it's not hardware related:

take out microsd card.
    factory reset from /settings/privacy/reset

heimdall 1 click with repartition and bootloaders

do it twice for good measures

run the complete stock rom...

if that doesn't work, it may be hardware corrosion

True story...

Hey all. I have no sound. Zero. I tried re-flashing zeus - no go. Tried clearing/resetting everything via cwm - nope. I tried GTG twice - nada. Even back at stock, I've got nothing. I can hear my voicemail, but no system tones, no ringtones, no audio on videos - both youtube and local to phone. Alarms won't work. Nothing!!

After pouring over these threads, I tried headphones, and they work - but no headphone icon at top of my screen. I'm at my wit's end and am pulling out my hair. Does anyone have any ideas? Please?