Sprint Nexus 5 on T-Mobile?

Search This thread

jblazea50

Feb 10, 2010
Beltsville
If I were to purchase a Nexus 5 on contract through Sprint, will is work on T-Mobile as well?

I am up for upgrades and want to upgrade to new device before switching over to TMobile. If this works, I wouldn't have to buy same phone on TMobile.

Thanks in advance.

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
OP - Just remember that if you want to take advantage of T-Mobile paying your ETF, you must trade-in your phone too. You cannot bring the phone over if you go this route.

jblazea50

Feb 10, 2010
Beltsville
OP - Just remember that if you want to take advantage of T-Mobile paying your ETF, you must trade-in your phone too. You cannot bring the phone over if you go this route.

I have older phones that I can trade in (couple of blackberries and android). I think it can be any working phone, just that I won't get any credit for it.

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
I have older phones that I can trade in (couple of blackberries and android). I think it can be any working phone, just that I won't get any credit for it.

You also have to purchase a T-Mobile phone. I guess you can always sell that one. I just wanted to make sure you know all the fine print before going through the trouble. :)

jblazea50

Feb 10, 2010
Beltsville
You also have to purchase a T-Mobile phone. I guess you can always sell that one. I just wanted to make sure you know all the fine print before going through the trouble. :)

Here's the plan, let me know if there's any flaw in it:

-upgrade 4 lines on Sprint (N5 @ $175 + $36 activation each, can only upgrade though Sprint site as it's employee discount perk): $844
-Trade-in older, working phones to T-Mobile: $0 credit
-Buy the $72 refurbished Android phones from T-Mo ($3/month x4)
-Switch sims and use N5
-Sell the current Sprint phones (3 GS3 and Lg Optimus G) to recoup cost of N5s
-T-Mobile will give Mastercard GC for ETF

Edit: Is the trade-in, paying the ETF only done in-stores?

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN

-upgrade 4 lines on Sprint (N5 @ $175 + $36 activation each, can only upgrade though Sprint site as it's employee discount perk): $844
-Switch sims and use N5

Yeah that would probably work. If you are ok with paying $1400 worth of ETF fees up front and waiting 8 weeks to get your Giftcard.

Nexus 5's are zero down right now as well with a price of $396. You'd save some money your method though.

Reactions: jblazea50

jblazea50

Feb 10, 2010
Beltsville
Yeah that would probably work. If you are ok with paying $1400 worth of ETF fees up front and waiting 8 weeks to get your Giftcard.

Nexus 5's are zero down right now as well with a price of $396. You'd save some money your method though.

Right now, I'm paying $214 on 4 lines. If I switch and with 15% discount, TMo will be $132. That's $82/month savings and I get new phones. Gotta convince rest of the family members though.

cahiatt

Jul 1, 2007
Atlanta

-Switch sims and use N5

You have to buy phones in a retail store which usually means the web only refurbished models are not available.

I bought the Alcatel units for $99 in store and sold them on Craigslist the next day for $80 each. Not a huge loss but worth it to get away from Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: jblazea50

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes it'll work. It has all the band's necessary.

-Switch sims and use N5

-Switch sims and use N5

You have to buy phones in a retail store which usually means the web only refurbished models are not available.

I bought the Alcatel units for $99 in store and sold them on Craigslist the next day for $80 each. Not a huge loss but worth it to get away from Sprint.