Tab S vs Tab 4 10.1 vs Tab Pro 12.2...which one?

Search This thread

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
At this price point, and this late in the game in android, this is a joke!

A Joke.

again i am not having any of these issues so i am not sure why you quote me and sat its a joke. mine runs smoooooth!

also it appears from your sig that having issues with your devices may be a problem that has plagued you. sorry yours has issues and possibly you received a faulty unit?

Jan 12, 2015
I've done so much research but I'm still stuck between the tab s 10.5 and the note pro 12.2. I would be getting the LTE version on AT&T. I research alot online like going through comments, forums. I also play games, watch videos, pictures. I want speed because i absolutely hate when things freeze, lag, our Judy pain don't do what I want it to. It seems like every pro/con of one the other has a counter equally as tempting.

jball

Jan 7, 2012
Amber
I've done so much research but I'm still stuck between the tab s 10.5 and the note pro 12.2. I would be getting the LTE version on AT&T. I research alot online like going through comments, forums. I also play games, watch videos, pictures. I want speed because i absolutely hate when things freeze, lag, our Judy pain don't do what I want it to. It seems like every pro/con of one the other has a counter equally as tempting.

If you don't like lag than you probably don't want a Samsung device

Jan 12, 2015
Well I'm limited to what is available from AT&T. also I'm against Apple products. What would you suggest? Ireally like those two but I want the lesser of two evils.

Jan 12, 2015
I would leave it stock. When do you think if ever would I get the update for lollipop on either? Also I wonder about the screen problems associated with amoled screens.

jball

Jan 7, 2012
Amber
I would leave it stock. When do you think if ever would I get the update for lollipop on either? Also I wonder about the screen problems associated with amoled screens.

Not sure about the Tab S and so far as long as I keep a decent grip on the tablet I won't have to worry about the screen.

I will say that my S4 smashed easily from ear to counter top when I lost grip of it.

DUHAsianSKILLZ

Aug 6, 2014
Columbus

MarkLI88

May 3, 2011
I have the Tab S 10.5 and love it, I am completely stock and have not witnessed any lag with what I do. I mostly use my tablet to watch Netflix, read books, check my e-mail and browse the web. I think the comments that this tablet lags are very subjective, I would never consider returning my tablet due to lag issues.

Jan 12, 2015
I've heard so much mixed reviews about the lag. Some say it's blazing fast others laggy all the time. Must just be the slight variety in production?... Or perspective? Also the thought of an enhanced tab s makes me light up inside. Although I wonder if they'll make a new 12.2 sized tablet with amoled screen. That screen is beautiful. That's my main hang up... I either get bigger screen or better screen. Also the tab s has exynos and the note 12.2 has snapdragon at AT&T. From studying them people prefer the snapdragon but test results kind of show the exynos being better... I May just have not researched well enough. Seems like a complete toss up between these two. Like a coin flip of whether or not either Will be as good or bad as anyone says. Sorry about the seemingly long post.

Last edited:

wosiek

Dec 11, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
Sprint LTE variant of the Tab S 10.5 (SM-T807) - loving this tablet. The SAMOLED screen is nothing short of amazing - streaming video from Netflix or HBO Go in beautiful, crystal-clear HD with rich, brilliant color. Have not experienced any hint of a stutter with graphic-intensive games, either. The Snapdragon 800 SoC is fully capable of handling just about anything thrown at it.

Hoping that a stock Lollipop update is in the works.

Jan 12, 2015
So much love for the tab s. Now that I've heard that there might be a new release soon for the tab s2 I wanna wait. Anyone have any idea of how long it should take for release? Also any rumors about a new 12.2?... Or just a Samsung tablet that is a note and has samoled but at least 10 inches or above? Oh man... If they came out with a tab s 2 note 10.5 & 12.2 I'd have my perfect tablet. So long as the specs are up to par with being newer so better. I'd get the 12.2 of this imaginary future tab note.

Ended up here somehow but I read all the comments as I just bought a tablet. And I was in the same boat as you regarding getting 12.2 or tab S 10.5. I went to best buy and compared both hand in hand (couldn't compare weight as they were tied down). I would agree that Tab S screen is better than 12.2 but 12.2's screen isnt bad either. I got a good deal on 12.2 note pro new for $429 (no tax) from newegg. So I bought the 12.2 and stylus seems pretty cool as I like to draw sometimes. Also the extra screen real estate looked awesome.

Hisma

Oct 24, 2010
Not sure about the Tab S and so far as long as I keep a decent grip on the tablet I won't have to worry about the screen.

I will say that my S4 smashed easily from ear to counter top when I lost grip of it.

my son threw my tablet on the ground, inside a book cover, and the screen cracked. $199 to replace :(

Finally got it fixed tho and the screen looks better than I remembered. My son no longer touches my tablet :)

Reactions: jball

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had a tab pro 4 10.1, pass. You won't be happy. It's performance is OK but the screen isn't that great. Plus the lack of vibrate and light sensors just made it feel cheap, I sold mine for 60 bucks, no regrets. I had an iPad air for a bit but I took it back as I tend to leave a lot of things running and, I just didn't like it overall.

All Samsung's high-end Wi-Fi tablets use the same Exynos 5420 CPU and Mail 628 GPU. The Pro 10.1 has 2GB of RAM vs. 3GB on the Tab S but I've never seen any multitasking complaints on the Pro forum. I've used all Samsung's high-end tablets on 4.4 from the N10.1-14 on. Those with M-UX are laggier than the N10.1-14 without it. The Pro's seem a bit more fluid than the S' but its most likely due to the S' using V1.0 video drivers where the Note/Pro's have been updated about four times. There's a ton of posts in various threads here where former Note/Pro users with Tab S' have commented on a perceived increase in lag in moving to the S. So your experience is definitely different. In using all the tablets none struck me as so different performance wise that I'd be swayed in to buying one over the other solely because of it. That includes S-800 vs. Exynos 5420 (caveat: I'm not a gamer).

Samsung's 2,560x1,600 LCD panels are great and have been rated so in objective testing. They draw less power overall than the AMOLED panels on the S' because their RGBW PenTile and do exceptionally better on whites which kill AMOLED battery life. Most productivity and creation apps utilize light backgrounds so the Pro's would be a better choice battery life wise for productivity and web users and heavy readers. There's no doubt the S' display blacks better and offer better contrast but it doesn't make Samsung's high-end LCDs cow dung either. I'm a heavy productivity user and the S' display would absolutely kill me.

Are you sure you had a Pro 10.1? This is from the T-520 manual...

Moral of the story is people should buy what makes them happy, draw their own conclusions based on hands-on time, and realize opinions (including mine ;) ) are just that.
    Just saw four Sammy tablets at my local Costco:
    Galaxy Tab 4 7": $160
    Galaxy Tab 4 10.1: $300
    Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2: $530
    Galaxy Tab S 10.5: $480

I would like something bigger than 7". Can anyone give some pros and cons as to why I would choose a Tab S over Tab 4 10.1 or Tab Pro 12.2 (ignoring cost).
    I have looked on some different techy sites for comparisons and am still none the wiser so figured the faithful at XDA would be able to give a real-world comparison/input as to why the different models would be chosen. The 12.2 seems huge - great for movies and other larger requirements, but I've heard the Tab S screen is exceptional.
    Sigh...which one do I choose...?
    Honest opinion #1
    Any bigger than 8.4 you should just buy a laptop.
    Snapdragon rules so that rules out the Tab S .
    Go with the Tab Pro series

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vigZOYJYnf8

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhsMFOwksAM
    Nexus 5 via Tapatalk
    Honest opinion #1
    Any bigger than 8.4 you should just buy a laptop....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vigZOYJYnf8

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhsMFOwksAM
    Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

Let me guess. You are under 50, right? Some of us really need that bigger screen. Of course there are plenty of other reasons for preferring a larger screen. All boils down to personal needs and preferences so blanket statements are always wrong for a certain percentage of users.
    Thanks very much for all the (informative and helpful) replies.
    With Samsung carpet bombing the tablet market it's very confusing to the consumer what they're actually buying. I think that's intentional to a degree.
    Their standards are a lot lower than an XDA audience's. ;)
    And this is why I came to XDA to ask opinions and suggestions -- I get real world helpful information rather than columns of comparisons on other sites which don't mean much. I'm just your average tablet user...but f I am going to save and buy one...I want to get the best bang-for-the-buck as I won't be buying a tablet every year!