Rooting Incredible S - AlphaRevX in Public Beta

Search This thread

Cookie Ninja

Jan 21, 2010
np. Nice to know it helped you! :) A vote of thanks always feels good :)
From your statement, I'm guessing you did the OTA to update to GB like me.
Short answer is, no, AlphaRevX will not work on that solution.
Don't be disheartened. If you notice my signature, I have a custom OS. So can you! :)
Follow the instructions from my post here to deal with the Indian GB Update issue :)

Thanks a ton. Now running on Android Revolution HD 1.0.2 ROM, after
1. Goldcard
2. Upgrade from Indian GB ROM to Optus.
3. Aloharev-X using website for code.
4. Install Clockworkmod recovery.
5. Install ext4 fs support using CWMR.
5. Install ARHD ROM after wipe of davlik cache using CWMR.
Five steps & WOOT! I'm in heaven right now! Root + faster, leaner ROM and much more memory available! And no ads on any apps, the tweaked hostfile works! Thanks to all the devs, whose hard work made this possible and to John and Nikhil for their excellent guides. Thank you guys!
BTW, you are right, the ARHD ROM looks and runs exactly like the Indian GB ROM, but does not have locale customization for En-In.

--Edit--
6. Sixth step, upgraded CWMR to 1.1 rc for retaining ext4 fs as given in thread by madmax in this forum.
Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA App

Last edited:

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks! but i am a VERY BIG noob on this. Sorry :(

I opened up the terminal and typed the exact:

"mount -o remount,rw /mount/location/found/above /system -t ext3"

I did this after the "$" sign. Am I suppose to do something before this?

Thanks!

UPDATE: when i did "mount | grep system", it said "DENIED"

You need to type SU first to get superuser access.

;)

mahmutuslu

Apr 9, 2008
istanbul
Thanks a ton. Now running on Android Revolution HD 1.0.2 ROM, after
1. Goldcard
2. Upgrade from Indian GB ROM to Optus.
3. Aloharev-X using website for code.
4. Install Clockworkmod recovery.
5. Install ext4 fs support using CWMR.
5. Install ARHD ROM after wipe of davlik cache using CWMR.
Five steps & WOOT! I'm in heaven right now! Root + faster, leaner ROM and much more memory available! And no ads on any apps, the tweaked hostfile works! Thanks to all the devs, whose hard work made this possible and to John and Nikhil for their excellent guides. Thank you guys!
BTW, you are right, the ARHD ROM looks and runs exactly like the Indian GB ROM, but does not have locale customization for En-In.

--Edit--
6. Sixth step, upgraded CWMR to 1.1 rc for retaining ext4 fs as given in thread by madmax in this forum.
Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA App

1. Goldcard ok
2. Upgrade from Indian GB ROM to Optus. gold card root optus PG32IMG.zip hboot install "main version is older" error a solution ?

Last edited:

dr.pythagora

Jun 19, 2011
Ottawa
wat is the point of turning my htc is to s-off when there is no a rock, well made, safe and fast gingerbread rom with the appropriate radio?

i have my virgin htc is already s-off, and rooted. since a few weeks i try to understand how to upgrade my android; i decided to give a try to a version called angerbread.

well .... it worked out but the screen of my handset was burning from excessive heat and .... the voice in in/out calls didn't work.

i returned to froyo (happily i made a backup).

i think what is missing is a standard, well made, clean and working gingerbread version with an appropriate radio; and of course, an appropriate guide.

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
wat is the point of turning my htc is to s-off when there is no a rock, well made, safe and fast gingerbread rom with the appropriate radio?

i have my virgin htc is already s-off, and rooted. since a few weeks i try to understand how to upgrade my android; i decided to give a try to a version called angerbread.

well .... it worked out but the screen of my handset was burning from excessive heat and .... the voice in in/out calls didn't work.

i returned to froyo (happily i made a backup).

i think what is missing is a standard, well made, clean and working gingerbread version with an appropriate radio; and of course, an appropriate guide.

What you are missing is the fact that when you flash a Gingerbread ROM you need to flash a new GB-compatible radio too. That is why you didn't have any sound when you tried to make and receive calls. All of the GB threads I have read so far have acknowledged this in the original post.

ma20at

Jul 4, 2011
i get a s-on IS with asia rom 2.3.3,main version 2.21.1400.8, can only upgrade to higher version, i flash RUU_Vivo_Gingerbread_S_HTC_WWE_2.30.405.1_Radio_20 .2808.30.085AU_3805.06.03.03_M_release_199308_sign ed.exe via goldcard, but
the alpharevX program seems not work on this ROM, always stuck at acquiring root, even though i tried it again under RH linux
=============================
| AlphaRev-X HBOOT S-OFF tool |

Waiting for device...
Found your device: HTC Incredible S (vivo-1.13.0000, Android: 2.3.3)

This is a beta release and requires a beta release key.
Please visit: http://alpharev.nl/x/beta for more information.

Enter beta key [serial: HC14KTD00XXX]: nbhf1lawFz8WFicU
Beta key accepted - thank you for participating!

Acquiring root (method 2)...
(if we hang here for a *long* time [15mins+], please reboot your phone and try a
gain.)
i checked the device manager in winxp, the phone was correctly recognized as "my htc", usb_debug mode open, HTC sync not running.
i wonder if the alpharevx support this WWE rom?:(

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
i get a s-on IS with asia rom 2.3.3,main version 2.21.1400.8, can only upgrade to higher version, i flash RUU_Vivo_Gingerbread_S_HTC_WWE_2.30.405.1_Radio_20 .2808.30.085AU_3805.06.03.03_M_release_199308_sign ed.exe via goldcard, but
the alpharevX program seems not work on this ROM, always stuck at acquiring root, even though i tried it again under RH linux
| AlphaRev-X HBOOT S-OFF tool |

Waiting for device...
Found your device: HTC Incredible S (vivo-1.13.0000, Android: 2.3.3)

This is a beta release and requires a beta release key.
Please visit: http://alpharev.nl/x/beta for more information.

Enter beta key [serial: HC14KTD00XXX]: nbhf1lawFz8WFicU
Beta key accepted - thank you for participating!

Acquiring root (method 2)...
(if we hang here for a *long* time [15mins+], please reboot your phone and try a
gain.)
i checked the device manager in winxp, the phone was correctly recognized as "my htc", usb_debug mode open, HTC sync not running.
i wonder if the alpharevx support this WWE rom?:(

There was a post in the General section about trying to get AlphaRevX to work on WWE 2.30 install. Even though the HBOOT image in the 2.30 RUU is identical to the 2.12 RUU, AlphaRevX apparently doesn't work on this RUU.

Reactions: ma20at

ma20at

Jul 4, 2011
thanks tpbklake for ur clarification, one question, do u know any Ruu rom with high main version than 2.30.405.1 which could be temproot? i can't downgrade to 2.12 Ruu directly because of the main version check in hboot.

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
thanks tpbklake for ur clarification, one question, do u know any Ruu rom with high main version than 2.30.405.1 which could be temproot? i can't downgrade to 2.12 Ruu directly because of the main version check in hboot.

No I do not. The 2.30.405.1 RUU just surfaced this weekend; we don't even know if this is an official release or a test ROM.

baste07

Jun 22, 2009
Manila
i thought that HTC is already unlock it's loaders. how come their newest release seems to be blocking all the unlocks.

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
i thought that HTC is already unlock it's loaders. how come their newest release seems to be blocking all the unlocks.

They have issued a statement that all future products will have unlocked bootloaders, however the announcement did not discuss the policy or plans for the existing shipping products.

x1123

Mar 27, 2011
Pekalongan
semayi.blogspot.com
They have issued a statement that all future products will have unlocked bootloaders, however the announcement did not discuss the policy or plans for the existing shipping products.

I'm Not a tech savvy. Can someone here explain "How way will be". If HTC decice to unlock existing shipped product (?) is it possible to unlock Hboot by FOTA. My Imagination if htc were release tools like alpharevx. I believed only 10% users will able to do them self. By utilizing retailer counter. Is there any guarantee no cost will be involve ?. I agree with tpblake, htc will not unlock existing shipped devices since will very costly for them :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AlphaRevX is now in Public Beta!

Code:
    [U][B]Update 05/04/2011 - Where we are so far...[/B][/U]
    I thought I had better update this post, to let people know where we have got to and what we have tried, in case any developers want to join the fight. This will be a little technical and not explained step by step, there is a Q&A if you want to learn more about the goings on.

First off, the 'team'. Below is a list of people currently working on trying to get root, pm any one of us if you want to help. When I say what to help, please don't just PM saying "I want to help, I have no technical knowledge, what can I do?" We have plenty of testers, what we need is technical insight.

l0st.prophet
    bin4ry
    timbo007up
    hawkysoft

Soctty2 was providing a lot of contributions in the early stages but we haven't heard from him in a couple of weeks, so don't contact him directly.

Where we are at at the moment. We can obtain temproot via the psneuter exploit, which allowed bin4ry to attempt to modify the wpthis exploit to allow us to load an S-OFF HBoot which was supplied by an anonymous benefactor. Unfortunately that didn't really amount to anything despite our best efforts, so he has now turned his attention to the kexec method of running a custom kernel, to see if that gives us an in.

[U][B]Started 05/03/2011 - The race begins...[/B][/U]
    I am trying to root the Incredible S as no developers appear to have  picked it up, but I am pretty new to this and was hoping for a little  help. I have tried SuperOneClick and it appears to give some sort of  temp root (although SU force closes and the test command fails, it does  write to the system partition) and rebooting removes it all.

I am little lost where to go from here, although someone suggested using  and older version of SOC and checking the log files, I will let you  know what I find.
    [SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]Frequently Asked questions[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][B]Temproot and Permaroot - What's the difference?[/B][/SIZE]
    First, let me explain root access. Root access, superuser or su (all the  same thing) is basically an admin account for Linux. It gives us  permission to to access commands that normally couldn't be accessed, and  to write information to partitions that normally couldn't be written  to. On older devices (such as the Hero), once we had root we could write  to the /system and /recovery partitions, and flash custom ROMs. In the  case of the IS (and every HTC device since the desire), this isn't true.  Getting root access is quite trivial and no where near as useful,  because the internal flash memory (NAND or eMMC) is locked down and it  means we everything we 'write' to the system (or any other protected  partition) is lost on reboot because it is a non permanent change. In  short, this stops us from flashing custom ROMs and recovery. This is a  problem for any devices that are shipped with the Security flag on  (S-ON). To get Permaroot, and the ability to flash custom ROMs, we need  S-OFF.

[SIZE=3][B]So what's this S-OFF then?[/B][/SIZE]
    Since the Desire, HTC have been securing their phones better than before  by locking the internal flash memory (NAND or eMMC) to stop it being  written to, unless the file being flashed is signed by a private key  only known to HTC. This is controlled by a flag (@secuflag) and is  identified as the device being S-ON. Telling the HBoot the device is  Security Off (S-OFF) stops this check for the key, and allows us to  write anything to any partition, which is what we are aiming for.

There are actually two levels of S-OFF. The Bootloader (HBoot) and the  Radio. Getting S-Off on the HBoot gives us everything we need, but  doesn't actually turn off the @secuflag which is set in the radio. What  it is possible to do is to flash a HBoot that believes the Radio is set  to S-OFF, as the HBoot is responsible for setting that flag. Once the  HBoot on the phone is S-OFF, we can write to all the partitions and  basically do whatever we want, but it is possible to go one step  further. Flashing a radio that is S-OFF and actually setting the  @secuflag off gives 100% total access to every part of the phone and  it's software, as it becomes network unlocked allowing to you to use any  SIM and also allows you to flash a ROM from any carrier (known as Super  CID). It also makes it nigh on impossible to permanently loose root no  matter what you flash. Once you have radio S-OFF, it makes it much  easier to flash new HBoots and ROMs even if you flash something that is  locked down tight.

Setting the Radio to S-Off is not necessary, and gaining S-OFF on the  HBoot is more than most people will ever need. Radio S-Off is just the  last step of the puzzle, but it is worth noting the only points you can  permanently brick your phone is flashing a radio or a HBoot, if either  of these go wrong you will end up with a shiny expensive paper weight so  there is risk involved.

[SIZE=3][B]What about this XTC Clip, can that help?[/B][/SIZE]
    The XTC clip is a hardware device that can unlock HTC phones, regardless  of the software. The device ahs been proven to unlock the Incredible S, but will require the purchase of additional hardware. We are aiming to achive full software only root, which will be free. the XTC clip will soon be available in one-off use variations for €25 if you do not want to wait for software root. Please note that the XTC clip doesn't currently allow you to revert back to S-ON if you need to for warranty purposes.

[SIZE=3][B]What about people who are getting devices shipped with S-OFF?[/B][/SIZE]
    There are reports that a lot of devices coming out of China and India  are shipping with the @secuflag set off. These are lucky people, and  have the ability to write to the flash memory, but it can't help those  of us who are S-ON. It is also worth noting that because most devices  are S-ON, no one has written any ROMs or kernels for the device so they  will probably have to wait until we get a way of turning our devices to  S-OFF until anyone creates any software for it.

[SIZE=3][B]So, what are you doing about it?[/B][/SIZE]
    Well, what we were trying to do is finding a way of telling the kernel  to allow us to flash a version of the HBoot which was shipped S-OFF,  thus allowing us to write to all the right partitions. All of the  current exploits that allowed this to happen have been closed off, and  none of them help us achieve or goal. The IS is part of a newer breed of  HTC phones that are not vulnerable to any existing exploits. The only  other released phone that is part of this new breed is the HTC  Thunderbolt, but they have managed to get round it by downgrading to an  older version of the software which is vulnerable to the older exploits.  Although we have the ability to downgrade via a goldcard method (thanks  to timbo007up), no one has discovered an RUU old enough to be  exploitable. Bin4ry (they guy responsible for finding root on the X10)  has been working with myself, timbo007up and hawkysoft trying to adapt  the wpthis exploit (the one used on the G2 and DHD) to work with the  Incredible S, but it appears that it cannot be done. He is now looking  at the kexec method used on the X10 to load a custom kernel, to then  allow us to overwrite the HBoot. This is how progress currently stands  as of the 5th April 2011.

Glossary
    Bootloader a.k.a HBoot - This is the piece of software that runs before anything else on the phone. It basically packages it all up, tells what to run in what order e.t.c Every computer device has a bootloader in some form or another, be it an Android Phone, iPhone, Windows PC, iMac e.t.c. The HBoot is accessible by switching your phone off, then holding down volume down as you turn it back on. The first line of the HBoot will tell you if you are S-OFF or S-ON.

Recovery - The recovery is the piece of software that allows us to write files to partitions while they aren't being used. It is the portal to allow us to flash custom ROM's and kernels. There are custom recoveries with more options than the stock such as ClockworkMod.

Superuser a.k.a su or Root - This is a user that is present on all linux distros that allows higher permissions than standard users have access to. Certain apps need superuser permissions to function, such as Titanium Backup.
    You guys got me wrong!
    I said that i made progress YES, but i have not achieved anything.
    With progress there is one problem, you can make it to 99% and then your idea shows up NOT to work -> You will be at 0% again :D

So let me do my work and i will not let you hang out until the Sensation is out.
    I just said that i will NOT publish the EXPLOIT !!!!

That means:
    IF i get my idea running i will NOT make it opensource until the Sensation is out. Even more i will try to hide it from HTC like the unrevoked guys did it before ;)

I hoped that cleared some stuff here. So if i get anything to run you guys will be the first to know and benefit from it ;)

Regards
    Bin4ry
    If we have root means, we can flash custom ROMs, or we can only use some application (like titanium, mybackup etc) that working with root acces?
    What about signed recovery and S-OFF?

The situation as it is at the moment, hopefully explained in a way everyone can understand:

The psneuter exploit allows us to get soft root access. What this means is although we can access root, we cannot write anything to the /system partition (such as busybox or the su app) because the NAND (the internal memory of the phone) is locked to read only access, unless your software is signed with HTC's private key. To get full root access we will have to unlock the NAND (which is know as geting S-OFF) and by virtue of getting the NAND unlock and achieving proper, full, permanent root access, we will also have access to the recovery parition, which means we will be able to install a custom recovery, and also install custom ROM's.

The problem that everyone is trying to solve at the moment is switching off that security lock, and this is what the guys over on the Chinese forums have claimed to have been able to do, but as of yet have not posted any proof. The images they have posted, could simply be of phones that have shipped with S-OFF (we have had access to one such phone) or they could just have been faked, or they could have used a piece of hardware to unlock it (such as an XTC clip) in which case it would be useless for everyone else.

I hope they have found a method of unlocking the NAND, but until they post replicable instructions I am not holding my breath.
    I deleted what i can right now. Stop posting links for other forums. And stop flaming.

All of you should know better than what that other site wants you to do. Stay on topic.
    Yuhong, a chinese cracker, has confirmed he got rooted but still some problems there. no details.

he said he would release the rooted ROM as soon as the problem solved.

so, just wait:D