Help with format

Search This thread

brunswick000

Apr 16, 2010
Kingston, ON
I have flashed a few of the different builds that have recently become available and in doing so I have had some weird happenings with my internal storage. First I had both /sdcard, and /sdcard/o where everything I had prior to flashing was in /sdcard, but now resides in /sdcard/0. I moved everything back over and all was dandy. However now I have /sdcard and in there is nothing. All my stuff is actually in mnt/shell/emulated??

I know that chadouming and the everyone else that are contributing are working hard to get a stable build of CM10.1 out to everyone, and when that happens I want to start fresh.

Now my question is how do you go about formatting your internal sdcard without screwing everything up?? Should I flash ROM, GAPPS, backup's from Nova, and Titanium then format? I just don't want to be left with a phone that won't boot for whatever reason.

typically in the past I have never done this. But contrary to some of the instructions for flashing ROMs in this forum I used too

Wipe system/factory reset
Wipe Cache
Wipe Dalvik Cache
format system, data

then flash rom then flash gapps. There is a lot I still don't understand about this stuff so any help would be appreciated.

chadouming

Aug 27, 2009
On the interwebz
I have flashed a few of the different builds that have recently become available and in doing so I have had some weird happenings with my internal storage. First I had both /sdcard, and /sdcard/o where everything I had prior to flashing was in /sdcard, but now resides in /sdcard/0. I moved everything back over and all was dandy. However now I have /sdcard and in there is nothing. All my stuff is actually in mnt/shell/emulated??

I know that chadouming and the everyone else that are contributing are working hard to get a stable build of CM10.1 out to everyone, and when that happens I want to start fresh.

Now my question is how do you go about formatting your internal sdcard without screwing everything up?? Should I flash ROM, GAPPS, backup's from Nova, and Titanium then format? I just don't want to be left with a phone that won't boot for whatever reason.

typically in the past I have never done this. But contrary to some of the instructions for flashing ROMs in this forum I used too

Wipe system/factory reset
Wipe Cache
Wipe Dalvik Cache
format system, data

then flash rom then flash gapps. There is a lot I still don't understand about this stuff so any help would be appreciated.

Ah, you didnt said that. You can't simply delete the 0 folder on sdcard. That's how thing work on android 4.2 and it's because of multi-user capabilities. put everything back in 0 folder nad it shoulbe alright. Note that it's zero and not "o"

brunswick000

Apr 16, 2010
Kingston, ON
I can't move things. I am able to select files, but it won't move them. Tried with CM file explorer and with root explorer. Won't work with either. Wouldn't be a problem if I could access them from my computer, but I can only see /sdcard when it comes up, so I can't access mnt/shell/emulated. Frustrating.

Sent from my Optimus G using xda premium

brunswick000

Apr 16, 2010
Kingston, ON
I have downloaded a program called android commander to access internal storage on my phone via pc but I can't get it to work. I can't for the life of me even get the drivers for the phone to install correctly. Grrrr. Don't want to lose this data but I cannot seem to gain access our move it.

brunswick000

Apr 16, 2010
Kingston, ON
i needed to move my backups from the 0 folder so plugged the phone on to pc and did it through windows.

Yes this is my problem. I can only access the /sdcard portion of the internal memory through my pc. The 0 folder along with the original /sdcard folder is now located in the above mentioned directory /mnt/shell/emulated. It's very strange, and what is more frustrating ifs that I can select the files to move them through root explorer, but when I hit paste nothing happens.

mandroid717

Jun 22, 2011
Ottawa
Yes this is my problem. I can only access the /sdcard portion of the internal memory through my pc. The 0 folder along with the original /sdcard folder is now located in the above mentioned directory /mnt/shell/emulated. It's very strange, and what is more frustrating ifs that I can select the files to move them through root explorer, but when I hit paste nothing happens.

i actually had to save to my desktop then back to sdcard. took a while but it worked.