How to remap menu key to multitasking

Search This thread

curiousmileo

Jun 25, 2010
So I am to impatient to wait for the 4.4 update where hopefully we will get the recent apps button to replace the menu key so I did what I could for now.

You have to be rooted and have a root file manager.

1. open the file manger and go to system
  2. then to usr
  3. then to keylayout
  4. now open the Generic.kl
  5. scroll down to key 139
  6. open as a text file
  7. change from "MENU" to "APP_SWTICH"
  8. no "" needed
  9. save the file and reboot

Honestly i did it in the sec_e-pen.kl and sec_keyboard.kl and sec_touchscreen.kl just to be sure. I dont know if it is needed but i did anyway and have had no side affects.

Again if this has been posted before feel free to delete or move just i havent seen it so i thought others would want to know:good:

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Sounds like a nice little tweak! But doesn't that cause problems with apps that don't have a menu button in the interface?

curiousmileo

Jun 25, 2010
Sounds like a nice little tweak! But doesn't that cause problems with apps that don't have a menu button in the interface?

I suppose it would but so far most apps and games have the pull out menu or some kind of options thats easily accessible through the app itself. i guess since almost all of android expect samsung did away with the menu button most apps dont need you to have one

lokercy

Jan 6, 2014
I tried it on both my GS3 and P600, and here's the result
On GS3, modifying Generic.kl alone is enough to do the trick
Yet on P600 I have to modify all 3 files to make it

With GravityBox I managed to remap the long press as menu

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

curiousmileo

Jun 25, 2010
I tried it on both my GS3 and P600, and here's the result
On GS3, modifying Generic.kl alone is enough to do the trick
Yet on P600 I have to modify all 3 files to make it

With GravityBox I managed to remap the long press as menu

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

interesting. yea i guess something more needs to be done for the note.

engrshabir

Feb 23, 2014
thanks alot man, u solved my problem

i am using a local brand qmobile quadro z4,having jb 4.2.1 stock rom and by just modifying the one file, it worked, :) thanks alot

engrshabir

Feb 23, 2014
now i want to remap menu to long press menu key, or long press home, or long press back, can any one help,let it be difficult, doesnt matter

engrshabir

Feb 23, 2014
Bump....I too want to change longpress actions... Gravitybox module won't seem to load, so i'm hoping theres another approach....

gravitybox works, i hope u r not mistaking, install xposed installer, open it, go to framework, click install/update, app_process and xposedbridge.jar will install n will reboot, now go to modules and install gravitybox, and then activate it, in the modules, tick it in the checkbox, so its activated, now it will work, try this, hope it will work for u as well,

pedrofleck

Oct 13, 2012
When I do that, will apps that doesn't show on screen menu button start to show? (For example, Chrome)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I am to impatient to wait for the 4.4 update where hopefully we will get the recent apps button to replace the menu key so I did what I could for now.

You have to be rooted and have a root file manager.

1. open the file manger and go to system
    2. then to usr
    3. then to keylayout
    4. now open the Generic.kl
    5. scroll down to key 139
    6. open as a text file
    7. change from "MENU" to "APP_SWTICH"
    8. no "" needed
    9. save the file and reboot

Honestly i did it in the sec_e-pen.kl and sec_keyboard.kl and sec_touchscreen.kl just to be sure. I dont know if it is needed but i did anyway and have had no side affects.

Again if this has been posted before feel free to delete or move just i havent seen it so i thought others would want to know:good:
    I love this option, but i wonder if its also possible to map the long press of the menu key to "menu", any ideas?

Xposed Framework and GravityBox should be able to do that :p

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk
    I love this option, but i wonder if its also possible to map the long press of the menu key to "menu", any ideas?

from what I read it is a lot more difficult to map a long press. but I will look into