Get Root after Update to Lollipop on T-800 (WIFI)

Search This thread

dadanepal

Mar 26, 2010
Here is what I had to do to get ROOT on Lollipop.
-
You should be good.
Took me a while to get this figured out so just sharing what i found.

If this helped please hit the thanks button.

Last edited:

Aloupha

-
You should be good.

I can confirm that this process does work. It's the method I went through when I upgraded my Tab S.

dadanepal

Mar 26, 2010
Tbh that is a long winded way to achieve something much easier. The Cf-autoroot step was totally unnecessary. It only does what the supersu zip does or twrp does itself.

Just flash TWRP from the first post. It will root your device with the latest binary.
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/development/test-twrp-2-8-60-recovery-mod-t3066372

Thanks for the update. Are you going to keep up with every new SU updated binaries and update TWRP every time the binaries are update. That would be great if you are willing to do that. I rather rely on the actual TWRP and SuperSU Developers to give me the zips etc. and flash my self as long winded as that may seem but people can choose.

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Twrp is updated more often than the super su binary, but team win never seem to update the binary, so I'll just update it myself with each release. Not only that, each new twrp release has the same problems as mentioned in my original post.
I'm also looking for a way to get MTP working properly as that is the only issue now.

Regarding cf-autoroot. I don't think people realise there is nothing special about how it roots.
It basically does the same thing that twrp does itself or flashing a super su zip.
Cf-autoroot simply installs a modified stock recovery which runs a script to Install root then flashes back stock recovery.
If someone intends to install a custom recovery anyway then there is no point in running cf-autoroot.
Twrp will do exactly the same thing and so does installing a super su zip.
They all accomplish the same thing using a slightly different method.
The only difference will be that chainfire may keep each cf-autroot updated with the latest binary.
The reason chainfire created it is for people who want to stick with stock recovery instead of custom

Last edited:

deno24

Aug 11, 2009
Augusta Ga.
Twrp is updated more often than the super su binary, but team win never seem to update the binary, so I'll just update it myself with each release. Not only that, each new twrp release has the same problems as mentioned in my original post.
I'm also looking for a way to get MTP working properly as that is the only issue n

So i tried the auto root no luck, what mode do i flash twrp in odin?

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
I'm also looking for a way to get MTP working properly as that is the only issue n

So i tried the auto root no luck, what mode do i flash twrp in odin?
Mode? Just load it and flash it.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Just flash twrp, boot into it then hit reboot. Twrp will give you the option to root.
If doesn't then you are already rooted and probably just need to update the super su app.

d3xtr0

Jul 21, 2006
Just flash twrp, boot into it then hit reboot. Twrp will give you the option to root.
If doesn't then you are already rooted and probably just need to update the super su app.

I did that and I can't boot into twrp, samsung recovery is shown. Looks like it can't rewrite the original recovery. Used your version from 30th March with Odin 10.6.

Thanks

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
I did that and I can't boot into twrp, samsung recovery is shown. Looks like it can't rewrite the original recovery. Used your version from 30th March with Odin 10.6.

Thanks

That's a feature of lollipop. It overwrites with stock recovery. Happens on many devices. You need to boot into recovery immediately after flashing twrp, twrp will then patch it so stock recovery can't replace it.
When flashing uncheck auto reboot in odin. When it finishes flashing hold power + vol down + home. As soon as the screen goes blank hold power +vol up + home to boot into recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: d3xtr0

d3xtr0

Jul 21, 2006
Thanks for the information, but now I've flashed your new package root+twrp and it's working great :D

Thanks again.

Sent from my MI 4W

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -
    You should be good.

Tbh that is a long winded way to achieve something much easier. The Cf-autoroot step was totally unnecessary. It only does what the supersu zip does or twrp does itself.

Just flash TWRP from the first post. It will root your device with the latest binary.
    http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/development/test-twrp-2-8-60-recovery-mod-t3066372
    I'm also looking for a way to get MTP working properly as that is the only issue now.

Regarding cf-autoroot. I don't think people realise there is nothing special about how it roots.
    It basically does the same thing that twrp does itself or flashing a super su zip.
    Cf-autoroot simply installs a modified stock recovery which runs a script to Install root then flashes back stock recovery.
    If someone intends to install a custom recovery anyway then there is no point in running cf-autoroot.
    Twrp will do exactly the same thing and so does installing a super su zip.
    They all accomplish the same thing using a slightly different method.
    The only difference will be that chainfire may keep each cf-autroot updated with the latest binary.
    The reason chainfire created it is for people who want to stick with stock recovery instead of custom

Thanks

That's a feature of lollipop. It overwrites with stock recovery. Happens on many devices. You need to boot into recovery immediately after flashing twrp, twrp will then patch it so stock recovery can't replace it.
    When flashing uncheck auto reboot in odin. When it finishes flashing hold power + vol down + home. As soon as the screen goes blank hold power +vol up + home to boot into recovery.