Problem writing to external SD card

Search This thread

Xdpker06

Dec 6, 2011
I am rooted and on the stock rom. I used SDfix to enable writing to the external SD card, but I still cannot write to it using Airdroid. I also tried the app FTP server, but I get the same result. Transfers start and disconnect immediately. Using root explorer, I am able to create a folder in the external sd card. I looked at Platform.xml and everything looks like it should.

<permission name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_r" />
</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_r" />
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.ACCESS_ALL_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_r" />
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="sdcard_all" />
</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" >
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>

One question, does it matter whether I access the storage from /sdcard2 or /storage/ext_xd or it makes no difference at all? Thanks
*edit* tried other stuff. unmounting/mounting sd card, different sd card. shot in the dark, but still does not work
added <group gid="media_rw" /> to WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE transfer still fails.

Last edited:

Xdpker06

Dec 6, 2011
Okay, so apparently after I update the platform.xml and reboot, Kit Kat just reverts the changes I make. When I look at the platform.xml after a restart, the <group gid="media_rw" /> line is gone. Is anybody else having this problem?

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
I don't understand, I am already rooted. I can already write to system.

I already factory restored it when I rooted the phone.

You said those changes revert after a restart. You're writing to a shadowed filesystem. The Kernel module fixes that. At least, this is what I understand, I could be wrong.

Xdpker06

Dec 6, 2011
Have you tried accessing from /mnt/media_rw/ext_sd/?

I don't have an sd card to test or I would do so.

I don't have the ext_sd folder there. I was reading on this thread

http://xdaforums.com/xposed/framework-xposed-rom-modding-modifying-t1574401

"You can verify this by starting the Xposed Installer again. If app_process jumped back to an older version (or none at all), you probably have a ROM with S-On or similar, which reverts any changes to /system after a reboot. Use installation via recovery in such cases."

I think I need S-Off

Wonders_Never_Cease

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 10, 2013
Rooting/s-off does not fix the kernel from write protection after rebooting,its read write protected,flars module/config fixes this issue....thats only way your changes will stick

Reactions: sinosuke

Ravenmtx

Aug 23, 2010
I can't seem to find the thread anymore, but it provided this flashable zip to fix the issue.

Attachments

• HTCM8_sd-fix.zip
    157.4 KB · Views: 51

Top Liked Posts