[Q] Kitkat 4.4.2 battery drain (CM11 M7 on S2)

Search This thread

MegaSharkXDA

Dec 24, 2010
Hi,

I can’t say I’m impressed at all with the SGS2 battery life running CM11 M7 (KitKat 4.4.2). Quite often the battery won’t last through the day (luckily I can charge it at work, otherwise it wouldn’t even be bearable as a phone).
My crappy Sony Xperia J (JB) I had for a couple of weeks as a replacement could easily reach the end of the day with 70% charge still left when I plugged it in at night.

Android battery stats always show Android System and Android OS as the main offenders (around 20% - 25% each), above Screen usage, Voice calls, Mobile standby...
BetterBatteryStats tells me the phone is in the Deep Sleep most of the time, but also that it is awake (mostly at 200 MHz) quite a lot of time as well.

Here’s what I have already tried:

Disabled location services
Disabled Google Now
Disabled Google+ Auto-backup
Opt out of interest-based ads
Disabled back up data to Google servers
Disabled “Android Device Manager” as Device Administrator
Uninstalled all updates to Google Play Services
Disabled automatic updates from the Play Store
Disabled Mobile Data Limit
Disabled Automatic Date/Time updating
Uninstalled Lookout Antivirus
Uninstalled Viber
Uninstalled Skype
Rebooting the phone before connecting the charger
Rebooting the phone immediately after disconnecting the charger

I really don’t want to perform a factory reset specially since I have read some other comments by Galaxy S5 and Nexus 5 owners (KitKat 4.4.2) saying it didn’t work…

So what exactly is going on here?

Thanks!

Last edited:

thedarkdevil420

Jul 31, 2014
Sorry

Hi,

I can’t say I’m impressed at all with the SGS2 battery life running CM11 M7 (KitKat 4.4.2). Quite often the battery won’t last through the day (luckily I can charge it at work, otherwise it wouldn’t even be bearable as a phone).
My crappy Sony Xperia J (JB) I had for a couple of weeks as a replacement could easily reach the end of the day with 70% charge still left when I plugged it in at night.

Android battery stats always show Android System and Android OS as the main offenders (around 20% - 25% each), above Screen usage, Voice calls, Mobile standby...
BetterBatteryStats tells me the phone is in the Deep Sleep most of the time, but also that it is awake (mostly at 200 MHz) quite a lot of time as well.

Disabled Google Now
Uninstalled Viber
Uninstalled Skype

I really don’t want to perform a factory reset specially since I have read some other comments by Galaxy S5 and Nexus 5 owners (KitKat 4.4.2) saying it didn’t work…

Thanks!

Sorry I cannot help you, however, I am also contemplating installing cm11 on my sgs2 i9100.
I wanted to ask you if you phone came with android version 2 installed on it? (maybe in that case the problem is incapable hardware)
Mine came with 2.3.4 and i do not want to face the same problem as you are now (sorry).

Thanks

3ph3sus

Feb 4, 2014
Berlin
It is normal, that non-stock-based roms consume more power because Samsung haven't open-sourced all drivers. And Kitkat drains more than Jellybean. Try Slimsaber Reborn. It has a decent battery life, an very acitve developer, and is nicely customizable.

hugobitola

Apr 18, 2011
Jundiaí
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Any luck?

Hi,

Disabled Google Now
Uninstalled Viber
Uninstalled Skype

Thanks!

Hi MegaShark!

I have almost the same issue you have, my device never go to deep sleep... (by "never" I mean 1 minute deep sleep and 1 hour 200MHz)
After months trying, getting help from Better Battery Status thread, flashing, freezing, going crazy, I commited suicide (flashed stock ROM), but it is driving me mad.

The last try I did was with SlimSaber Reborn (Android 4.3.1), but no luck also.
Installed "Unbounce", prevented nlp wakelock, prevented safe alarms and nothing, it only gets worse...

All I get is my device always warm (always running at minimum of 200MHz) and more than 10% battery drain per hour.

Have you found out what is the problem with our S2 on custom ROMs?

Thank you!

Saber

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3
First of all, I would advise you to update your rom. CM11 M7 is old now and is filled with bugs (along with versions around that). Update to CM11 M11 Snapshot which will most likely fix many of the problems you are facing but you will need to do a full wipe (factory reset, wipe dalvik and cache partitions). So sorry, the only way to fix is to wipe your data and update.

hugobitola

Apr 18, 2011
Jundiaí
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Will try!

First of all, I would advise you to update your rom. CM11 M7 is old now and is filled with bugs (along with versions around that). Update to CM11 M11 Snapshot which will most likely fix many of the problems you are facing but you will need to do a full wipe (factory reset, wipe dalvik and cache partitions). So sorry, the only way to fix is to wipe your data and update.

I remember to have hope until CM11 M9... But I'll give M11 a try and report back here! :)

pankhawala

Nov 6, 2014
Drain NOT related to any of the CM version

I have been facing battery draining problem in my sgs2 (i9100) just after installing CM 11.
Then I tried NeatROM without any Luck!
Every time i cleaned data, cache and dalvik to be sure...

at the end I moved back to Stock ROM - everything fine there...
but again then I decided to have just root and custom recovery installed... which required me to Flash Jeboo Kernel v1.2a (which comes with CWM based recovery 6.0.2.7 preloaded)

then it started same problems again... overheating - battery draining ...
It clearly look like ... the battery draining/overheating problem is because of .... Kernel AND/OR CWM 6.XXX

I think, if one want to install CM 11 in sgs2, after installing ROM, he/she need to flash it with some other kernel.
If anybody have tried some other kernel, which doesn't cause battery draining/overheating problem, then pls post here so that other can also try...

hugobitola

Apr 18, 2011
Jundiaí
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Confused

I have been facing battery draining problem in my sgs2 (i9100) just after installing CM 11.
Then I tried NeatROM without any Luck!
Every time i cleaned data, cache and dalvik to be sure...

at the end I moved back to Stock ROM - everything fine there...
but again then I decided to have just root and custom recovery installed... which required me to Flash Jeboo Kernel v1.2a (which comes with CWM based recovery 6.0.2.7 preloaded)

then it started same problems again... overheating - battery draining ...
It clearly look like ... the battery draining/overheating problem is because of .... Kernel AND/OR CWM 6.XXX

I think, if one want to install CM 11 in sgs2, after installing ROM, he/she need to flash it with some other kernel.
If anybody have tried some other kernel, which doesn't cause battery draining/overheating problem, then pls post here so that other can also try...

pankhawala, I installed the last available SlimSaber Reborn (4.3) (here: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/rom-slimsaber-reborn-i9100-t2811657) because o lots of positive feedback on this ROM.

It is really a very nice ROM, but my battery drain problem persisted, I was losing more than 10%/hour in idle.
I just tried to "live with it" and after some weeks it mysteriously gone away.
I was happy for a few days and it went back again.
Now, it has been since this Sunday that it is gone again.
I'm being able to have a very acceptable battery life, very good deep sleep times and less than 4%/h when idle (screen off).

I didn't changed anything and it just got better by itself.
I'm sure it will start to drain again, just don't know when or what is triggering it.

My last hope is that when new Lollipop ROMs start coming out for our S2, some holy developer figure out this problem or that the problem is simply gone.