Help Choosing External Memory?

Search This thread
Nov 14, 2010
Hi everyone, first post. I am a proud owner of the Archos 43 IT. So, I recently acquired the usb host cable from Deal Extreme.

Now, I only have two usb stick (8, and 16gb) neither of which work. My first intention was to put all of wikipedia on one flash drive (wikipedia is about 14.8 gb) so I could have everything on a portable screen. My second intention was to get an external hard drive (large capacity for movies on the HDTV), but there is a looot of misconception of what kind of drives work (NFTS, USB powered, etc) so I would love someone to spell out two things: What sixteen gigabyte usb drives are confirmed to work, and what sort of hard drive would the community recommend?

Thanks in advance.

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
Does the drive matter, or is it more the format of the drive? I have a bunch of USB drives that are all formatted either FAT32 or NTFS and they all seem to work.

I have not tried a external hard drive yet...

Nov 14, 2010
Well both of mine are fat32. I think its more an issue of powering the drives. From what I understand the Archos doesn't really give all that much juice to what's plugged in the host.

redname

Jun 7, 2005
Well both of mine are fat32. I think its more an issue of powering the drives. From what I understand the Archos doesn't really give all that much juice to what's plugged in the host.

is your cable in working condition? you can try putting an external HDD and power the HDD with an external source to see if it works

Nov 14, 2010
is your cable in working condition? you can try putting an external HDD and power the HDD with an external source to see if it works

Ah, yes it works just fine. I'v been using a USB keyboard with a trackball via the adapter, and I just plugged in my brother's external hard drive with a wall adapter (I don't have an external hd), and it worked great. So its just the flash drives, I just want to know if anyone has a 16gb drive they own that works via usb host.

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
Okay, here is a list of flash drives I've personally used that work without issue:

OCZ Diesel 4GB
Kingston Data Traveler 16GB
OCZ Rally2 8GB (Dual channel)
Corsair Flash Voyager 8GB
Sandisk Cruzer 1GB
Lexar 1GB

Here is a list of external hard drives/enclosures I've tested that work without issue:

Seagate FreeAgent Go
Metal Gear Box IDE Enclosure
Venus DS IDE Enclosure
Rosewill RS-358-S SATA I/II Enclosure

Here is a list of NAS drives I've tested that work without issue:
DataRobotics Drobo-FS
Buffalo Terrastation II

Hopefully this helps.

Nov 14, 2010
Okay, here is a list of flash drives I've personally used that work without issue:

Hopefully this helps.

Hi, this does help. However, it leads to another question: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Kingston+Data+Traveler&x=15&y=22#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kingston+datatraveler+16&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Akingston+datatraveler+16

There seems to be a lot of variations on the data traveler 16gb. Would you mind telling me which one you personally have?

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
Hi, this does help. However, it leads to another question: There seems to be a lot of variations on the data traveler 16gb. Would you mind telling me which one you personally have?

Holy buckets...had no idea there were so many versions. LOL.
Well, it says its a Data Traveler 2.0 under the hardware IDs. I don't think they even sell this model anymore. I bought it from Microcenter.com at the time.

jalandar

Jan 24, 2011
Have you tried a micro sd card reader dongle with a 16GB micro sd card?

That's the solution I've been using and it has been working fine with my 43

sprocket87

Nov 20, 2006

OCZ Diesel 4GB
OCZ Rally2 8GB (Dual channel)
Corsair Flash Voyager 8GB
Sandisk Cruzer 1GB
Lexar 1GB

Here is a list of external hard drives/enclosures I've tested that work without issue:

Seagate FreeAgent Go
Metal Gear Box IDE Enclosure
Venus DS IDE Enclosure
Rosewill RS-358-S SATA I/II Enclosure

Here is a list of NAS drives I've tested that work without issue:
DataRobotics Drobo-FS
Buffalo Terrastation II

Hopefully this helps.

Well according to your signature you have a 101 tablet, which has a full-size USB port that delivers more power to the device and has much wider drive compatibility. The smaller devices (43 and 70) provide less USB power and few devices work with them.

We need to get a list going of confirmed working peripherals with each device...

Last edited:

p0rk burn

Dec 27, 2009
Now, I only have two usb stick (8, and 16gb) neither of which work. My first intention was to put all of wikipedia on one flash drive (wikipedia is about 14.8 gb) so I could have everything on a portable screen.

Everytime I see this I trip over the line that wikipedia is 14.8 gigs. I know this is totally off-topic, but wha!??! ("the compressed file enwiki-20100130-pages-meta-history.xml.bz2 is over 280.3 GB in size (in 7z format is over ~31 GB), and decompresses to several (>5) Terabytes of text.")

My mind, it is boggled.