[Q] Security PIN turning to password and locking me out

Search This thread
This issue has been addressed and no actual cause has been determined.
My pin lock pad which I usually use is replaced by a keyboard for no reason and my pin doesn't work anymore.
it keeps asking me for a password and after every 5 attempts I get a 30 seconds countdown.
To add insult to injury trying to restart the computer boots me into download mode.
It's very frustrating to say the least. Fortunately I have a twrp backup that I can restore but it's such a waste of time.
Has anyone else had this happen to them?

hemander

Feb 5, 2014
This issue has been addressed and no actual cause has been determined.
My pin lock pad which I usually use is replaced by a keyboard for no reason and my pin doesn't work anymore.
it keeps asking me for a password and after every 5 attempts I get a 30 seconds countdown.
To add insult to injury trying to restart the computer boots me into download mode.
It's very frustrating to say the least. Fortunately I have a twrp backup that I can restore but it's such a waste of time.
Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Not happening to me. but anyone who knows how to deal with this. So, just in case happened to us, we know what to do. :p

homer285

Jun 4, 2006
Not happening to me. but anyone who knows how to deal with this. So, just in case happened to us, we know what to do. :p

Useless posts just to raise your post count are all over this forum, seriously if you cant offer anything remotely helpful why post at all? Also put your tongue back in!

OP can you extrapolate how to arrive at the issue and also please state device model, device status etc?

Kaibosh

Aug 18, 2010
Melbourne
Are you using an application to set/unset your PIN?

I had this happening to me repeatedly, however it was accepting my PIN as the password so was more just annoying that anything else.
After some experimenting I found that it was Secure Settings (setting the PIN) that seemed to be the cause - somehow it was setting the PIN correctly the first time it ran and then subsequently it would switch to password.

I ditched it and instead setup my set/unset PIN via Pebble Locker (also using Wifi and other bluetooth devices to set/unset PIN).
After using it for a few days successfully, it locked once setting a password instead of PIN, and this time my usual PIN failed to unlock it. Luckily it was about 11pm and I knew that it would automatically unlock at about 7am the next day when the wifi was automatically switched back on - so I didn't need to reset or anything (although I got the impression at the time that you could unlock it via going to your google account somehow - but I can't recall the details and may have this entirely wrong).

I setup a Tasker profile so that I'd have a backdoor to disable the PIN by plugging it into power and checking if I'm at home at the time. Not the most secure solution, but hardly wide open either.

NinjaBuzz

Apr 30, 2014
I'm having the same issue and it also appears to be a quirk with Secure Settings. Actually locked me out of my phone yesterday, had to return home where I had task to unlock phone in order to get back in.