S5 on '3' UK Network, unlocked?

Search This thread

JCM800

Jul 21, 2012
Oxford
I'm told by '3' that all the phones they release now, are actually 'unlocked'..as the S5 is their latest flagship - i'd like to ask this..

Is it unlocked, if so..does that mean you are getting OTA software updates from Samsung..or are you still having to wait for '3'3 to stall and wait weeks/months for the updates to get their 'approval'?

Thanks.

ag4751

Oct 30, 2010
Scarborough
I'm told by '3' that all the phones they release now, are actually 'unlocked'..as the S5 is their latest flagship - i'd like to ask this..

Is it unlocked, if so..does that mean you are getting OTA software updates from Samsung..or are you still having to wait for '3'3 to stall and wait weeks/months for the updates to get their 'approval'?

Thanks.

If you connect to Kies and you have a Generic UK / Europe rom it will look like this

BTU.JPG

If you have a 3 network phone I would guess where mine says (BTU) yours will have (H3G) or similar if it isn't BTU then it is carrier branded

You can debrand it to BTU download the Generic BTU firmware from Sammobile make sure you get the right phone model you should be on the G900F but check it to be sure

Last edited:

JCM800

Jul 21, 2012
Oxford
If you connect to Kies and you have a Generic UK / Europe rom it will look like this

BTU.JPG

If you have a 3 network phone I would guess where mine says (BTU) yours will have (H3G) or similar if it isn't BTU then it is carrier branded

You can debrand it to BTU download the Generic BTU firmware from Sammobile make sure you get the right phone model you should be on the G900F but check it to be sure

Thanks for replying..

I don't actually own one,, just asking as I'm thinking of going contract with them in near future.

I'm asking if anyone can check if it is indeed BTU out of the box?

I didn't realise we can flash BTU firmware onto an otherwise network branded phone, interesting.. Thanks.

You mean Unbranded, not unlocked.

The EU forbid simlocking in 2011. All EU phones, even branded ones, are unlocked to use with any providers' SIM. (The Region Lock, however, is a Samsung thing. But that only affects non-eu SIMs in an EU device.)

They are still allowed to run their own firmware though. So you get the silly logo and crappy apps if it's branded.

And yes, if it's branded, you have to wait for the provider updates. (they still go via Samsung's servers, but the provider has to modify them first. Samsung then has to re-test and re-approve it, whcih takes a while, hence the wait.)

But in general you can flash the official unbranded rom over it with no issue, provided it's the same or a newer version.

Sammobile lists firmware branded for H3G, so yes, it's safe to assume they are branded out of the box. CSC: H3G: G900FH3G1AND4 (No, I don't own one.)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

D33KK

Sep 20, 2009
My 3 UK galaxy s 5 is LOCKED to Three.

You can purchase an unlock code for £15 directly from Three.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

Painman1963

Mar 14, 2012
Bristol
My 3 branded Galaxy S5 is unlocked to any network but is branded with H3G software. If you are unlucky enough to get s locked version like @declan8888 you can now get a free unlock by visiting their website or by popping into one of their shops

Reactions: D33KK

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My 3 branded Galaxy S5 is unlocked to any network but is branded with H3G software. If you are unlucky enough to get s locked version like @declan8888 you can now get a free unlock by visiting their website or by popping into one of their shops