16GB Micro SD Class 6 speed issues

Search This thread

dannstarr

Mar 19, 2010
I originally had an 8gb class 4 card and when transferring files between my Nexus and PC I noted speeds of up to around 3mb per second.

I recently invested in a 16gb class 6, but now when I transfer files I am very lucky to even reach 1mb per second. This card is incredibly slow, is this right? I thought class 6 were supposed to be at around 6mb's per second?

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
strange that the speed is less that the class 4 sd, but u cud confirm the card transfer speed using a card reader

but in any case, you shud note that the phone limits the transfer speeds so u mite never get the full transfer speed of a class 6 card...

dannstarr

Mar 19, 2010
Oh, I did not know that the phone would limit the speeds, still, it does seem strange that the speed is less than my class 4.

I shall do what you suggested and try and get hold of an adapter to use my card reader

JAW$

Jan 1, 2009
I originally had an 8gb class 4 card and when transferring files between my Nexus and PC I noted speeds of up to around 3mb per second.

I recently invested in a 16gb class 6, but now when I transfer files I am very lucky to even reach 1mb per second. This card is incredibly slow, is this right? I thought class 6 were supposed to be at around 6mb's per second?

Where did you buy this card from. If it was off ebay, then it could be a fake & that would explain the 1mb transfer speed.

dysa

May 19, 2010
Melbourne
I recently bought a Kingmax 16GB Class6 microSD card. While I was initially transferring my files from my Sandisk 8GB Class2 microSD card, I noticed that the transfer rate was kind of slow, so I decided to do some benchmarking.

Software: CrystalDiskMark 3.0
3 different microSD cards using same USB card reader
Card #1 - Sandisk 8GB C2
Card #2 - Kingston 8GB C4
Card #3 - Kingmax 16GB C6 (new one that I just bought)

Here are the results (Seq Read; Seq Write; Random Read; Random Write):
Card #1: 17.08MB/s; 5.13MB/s; 17.09MB/s; 1.05MB/s :)
Card #2: 17.23MB/s; 9.53MB/s; 17.23MB/s; 1.92MB/s :D
Card #3: 16.05MB/s; 5.22MB/s; 16.73MB/s; 1.02MB/s :confused:

Summary: My new Class6 card was about the same speed as my Class2 card.

I approached the vendor and they tested a few other Kingmax card that they had in stock... all cards were reportedly about the same speed as the one they sent me. They swear that it's not fake. Maybe its a bad batch of cards but somthing is weird/wrong. Anyways... I'm sending my card back for a refund. I am going to stick to my Kingston Class4 card now.

Reactions: XCT

scote

Mar 30, 2007
1MB/sec can be indicative of USB 1 speeds, is OP sure that its connecting @ USB 2?
The class is supposed to be the minimum write speed, and I assume that to be sequential.

kisaku1218

Jan 1, 2011
>Kingston

isn't that ring the bell? I mean they are pretty expensive....

I think if you go beyond certain level of quility, the pay off of such c/p ratio will get narrowed and you can't tell difference......

either go dirt cheap or go super HD expensive, middle is kind of "uh they are more expensive than dirt cheap but not even close to those expensive things....."

like my AMD vs INTEL war, cheapest AMD almost always beat middle/low Intel by cost + performance, or just go get best INTEL and enjoy the hell out of it.

happy new year

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently bought a Kingmax 16GB Class6 microSD card. While I was initially transferring my files from my Sandisk 8GB Class2 microSD card, I noticed that the transfer rate was kind of slow, so I decided to do some benchmarking.

Software: CrystalDiskMark 3.0
    3 different microSD cards using same USB card reader
    Card #1 - Sandisk 8GB C2
    Card #2 - Kingston 8GB C4
    Card #3 - Kingmax 16GB C6 (new one that I just bought)

Here are the results (Seq Read; Seq Write; Random Read; Random Write):
    Card #1: 17.08MB/s; 5.13MB/s; 17.09MB/s; 1.05MB/s :)
    Card #2: 17.23MB/s; 9.53MB/s; 17.23MB/s; 1.92MB/s :D
    Card #3: 16.05MB/s; 5.22MB/s; 16.73MB/s; 1.02MB/s :confused:

Summary: My new Class6 card was about the same speed as my Class2 card.

I approached the vendor and they tested a few other Kingmax card that they had in stock... all cards were reportedly about the same speed as the one they sent me. They swear that it's not fake. Maybe its a bad batch of cards but somthing is weird/wrong. Anyways... I'm sending my card back for a refund. I am going to stick to my Kingston Class4 card now.