[App] [Root] LCDDensity (safe)

Search This thread

ex87

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 9, 2008
Ventspils
Here video from app I'm developing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxD65fDYSGw

Idea is simple - change LCD density without modifying build.prop and almost on the fly.

Application will change LCD density in system, changes will not survive reboot (so if you have wrong settings, pull out battery or restart device and you are back to old settings). For now best way to change density is to reload Android software stack (it will seems like crash but it's intended to be this way).

Now available from Play
chart

Attachments

• lv.n3o.lcddensity-0.2.0.apk
    502.4 KB · Views: 3,621
  • lv.n3o.lcddensity-0.2.1.apk
    502 KB · Views: 10,942
Last edited:

Salku

Jan 27, 2009
Looks Very Nice Going to test it out on my Rooted Cliq (2.1) Tell you how it goes

Edit: It works fine on my phone w/o issues detected

raven_raven

Apr 13, 2010
Poznań
Sweet! Downloading and trying ASAP!
From what I've seen on video, you're not having so called "Compatibility mode" to resize apps to new density, am I right? It would be a sweet feature.

So, I see there is rival to "LCD Density Changer" :}.

ex87

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 9, 2008
Ventspils
It was quick and dirty test :) Released test version auto scale should work.

About "LCD Density Changer" - both programs differ in a way how changes are preserved. My program does not write anything on /system, so it's better for those who wants "high res" effect to be available quickly but not all the time (or those who use "LCD Density Changer" and wants to play some games that's not compatible with high resolutions :) ). "LCD Density Changer" saves edits to /system partition - for long term use.

Last edited:
Reactions: santu001

raven_raven

Apr 13, 2010
Poznań
I know I know, but you must admit - effect is pretty the same :). It is not definitive in one case, which has its pros and cons.

Regardless how cool idea is, I have a problem with app - I installed it, opened it, choosed one option and... nothing. Tried it on 1.6 (official Donut for my country, rooted + busybox) and for Froyo (CM6), same issue :(.

Reactions: f_v_man

raven_raven

Apr 13, 2010
Poznań
Honestly, no need for it now :). App had some hard times asking for superuser permission, but when it did, everything just works! Great app. Still some features like returning to default density and compatibility mode are good to have ;).

Thanks a bunch, great piece of code!

rori~

Aug 21, 2009
Vienna
Very interesting app!..andyes, return to default would be very nice.

Sent from my Nexus One

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
The problem is that it doesn't use busybox. It relies on built-in unix commands. Busybox implementation will fix it.

Implemented this in my app as "preview". Happy to see a competitor :)

Last edited:

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Tried on Nexus One.

120 rebooted but didn't do anything.

Tried 180, 200, 220 which all worked, but everything looks too weird for me. Didn't like it. Went to 240 which seems like back to default.

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
Total fail on my Vibrant. Selected 200 (the recommended setting for Galaxy S/Vibrant), and the screen simply went blank, phone froze completely requiring battery pull.

At least it didn't change anything permanently, so I guess it's safe. But it doesn't work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here video from app I'm developing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxD65fDYSGw

Idea is simple - change LCD density without modifying build.prop and almost on the fly.

Application will change LCD density in system, changes will not survive reboot (so if you have wrong settings, pull out battery or restart device and you are back to old settings). For now best way to change density is to reload Android software stack (it will seems like crash but it's intended to be this way).

Now available from Play
    chart
    It was quick and dirty test :) Released test version auto scale should work.

About "LCD Density Changer" - both programs differ in a way how changes are preserved. My program does not write anything on /system, so it's better for those who wants "high res" effect to be available quickly but not all the time (or those who use "LCD Density Changer" and wants to play some games that's not compatible with high resolutions :) ). "LCD Density Changer" saves edits to /system partition - for long term use.
    I know I know, but you must admit - effect is pretty the same :). It is not definitive in one case, which has its pros and cons.

Regardless how cool idea is, I have a problem with app - I installed it, opened it, choosed one option and... nothing. Tried it on 1.6 (official Donut for my country, rooted + busybox) and for Froyo (CM6), same issue :(.
    So I just loaded this app of the market on my Droid 2. Settings >= 180 work flawlessly. Lower settings seem to cause scaling issues with various apps, the most obvious being the status bar (or whatever its called at the top of the screen). I'm going to leave it at 180 to see how it goes.

Thanks!

I'm about the same on my X.

I see how this could be useful to add more rows to my homescreen, but is that the only benefit?
    OP or anyone else, can you explain why lower numbers produce higher resolution screens?

I would have thought as the density decreases, the resolution would get smaller, and text would get bigger, but the opposite seems to be true.
    You are changing "screen density" - You are saying "I have display with big pixels (small density), I need to display more information in one pixel". Or "I have display with small pixels (large density), so I can't read small texts. Please display less information in one pixel so I can actually read something"