how to install tom tom voices...

Search This thread

dolbe

Apr 24, 2006
the voice files come in three parts the .vif the .chk and .bmp you need all 3 of the files of the corisponding voice to put into the voice folder thats in your root directory on you sd card

Deathace

Apr 8, 2006
Sitting here aint I
as said above make sure you have all 3 files, create a directory in the root of your microsd card called voices and then paste the 3 files into it. Open TomTom and go to the change voices under the settings and then scroll right until you find the voice you added.

I use version 6.010 because it allows me to have the changed data.chk file in the main tomtom dir which then has the speed camera warning voice of liz whitaker rather than the bell chime moo etc.

Russ

I need some more help here. I have spent hours fighting with this.

I installed TomTom from my MicroSD card and told it to install to device. Which it did. I have tried putting the voice files in the root of the SD card, tried putting them in a folder called voices in the root, I think I have tried them in every conceivable place on the device itself and can't get it to work. I accidentally got a Yoda voice to work but now can't figure out where I put the voice file to make it work. I had to flash my rom and now that voice is gone too. Is there a TomTom FAQ someplace on the net that people can go over.

shadowsgreen

Nov 17, 2007
Hi there,
I also had the same problem, when I first bought my kaiser. There was a thread here in this forum telling how to rectify it. I vaguely remember going to the start>settings>connections>bluetooth. Then enabling the blue tooth explorer before installing the voices did the trick. But Now I did a hard reset and the problem is back again. So if u could find the solution please post it here...I couldnt find the orginal post.

NotATreoFan

Moderator Emeritus
It you have a problem with TomTom seeing new voices you added, then you have to delete the reference file in the voice directory TomTom uses to organize the different voices. Once you delete this file (sorry I forget what it is called), then on the next launch, TomTom should see all of your new voices.

JaySHO

Nov 30, 2006
All I had to do was put the 3 files for each voice I wanted into the voice folder. This folder is located in the "my device" > "program files" > "navigator" > "voices". Then when you start the program, go to the voice preference settings. It will ask you if you want to use voices in your language or all languages. Choose "all languages". Scroll backwards through the voices and before long you should see the voices that you added to the folder.

Last edited: