[Q] wifi vs LTE and a couple questions to users

Which one would you get

• Total voters
Search This thread

jsconiers

Jan 4, 2014
Currently I have a tf700 (64gb) that I rooted and run cyanogenmod 11 nightlies on. (I previously ran 10 nightlies) It was completely unusable until I updated from stock. The tablet is good but I really wanted a tablet with a stylus that I could use in school and work for note taking, jotting down things, making lists, etc. Basically I want the functionality I have now and the ability to get rid of carrying a notepad around. I bought my wife a note 8 and got a chance to play around with it and think it will work for me. I'm interested in purchasing a galaxy note 10.1" 2014 edition and had a couple questions:

1. There are LTE tablets on ebay. According to comments these tablets cannot do LTE on AT&T's network but they can do GSM. Is that correct? Also, they have a different processor for the wines with LTE. Do these tablets still perform well with the different CPU? Is it that big of a difference?

2. Is there a 64GB version of the 2014 edition.

3. Are the mods / kernels worth using or should you stay stock?

jsconiers

Jan 4, 2014
Also, is there a 64gb version?

Currently I have a tf700 (64gb) that I rooted and run cyanogenmod 11 nightlies on. (I previously ran 10 nightlies) It was completely unusable until I updated from stock. The tablet is good but I really wanted a tablet with a stylus that I could use in school and work for note taking, jotting down things, making lists, etc. Basically I want the functionality I have now and the ability to get rid of carrying a notepad around. I bought my wife a note 8 and got a chance to play around with it and think it will work for me. I'm interested in purchasing a galaxy note 10.1" 2014 edition and had a couple questions:

1. There are LTE tablets on ebay. According to comments these tablets cannot do LTE on AT&T's network but they can do GSM. Is that correct? Also, they have a different processor for the wines with LTE. Do these tablets still perform well with the different CPU? Is it that big of a difference?

2. Is there a 64GB version of the 2014 edition.

3. Are the mods / kernels worth using or should you stay stock?

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
There are LTE tablets on ebay. According to comments these tablets cannot do LTE on AT&T's network but they can do GSM. Is that correct?

Yes. Both the P601 and P605 are quad band GSM and will deliver HSPA+ data speeds on AT&T's network (5-10MB down) and perhaps as high as 20MB down on T-Mobile because they're dual-channel HSPA which both N10.1-14's support. Any quad band GSM device will only work on T-Mobile in markets they've re-farmed to 1900MHz. Even then, being so high on the frequency band, indoor coverage can be poor and even outdoor reception can be spotty. If you're planning on using T-Mobile I'd ask people in a T-Mobile forum what kind of coverage they are getting where you'll be using your device. To use the dialer and MMS you'll need to put your device on a "smartphone" plan. "Tablet" plans don't support voice or messaging. Since you're "bringing your own," if you're on a Family Share plan with AT&T, it's only $15 a month now.

Here are my results on AT&T with a P-601. I've gotten both higher and lower depending on the market I've used it in.

Also, they have a different processor for the wines with LTE. Do these tablets still perform well with the different CPU? Is it that big of a difference?

No. Exynos is stronger in some benchmarks while S-800's stronger in others. Even then, where there's a difference, it's minimal and at such high performance levels for both chips you won't see the difference. Read the N3 forum to see people with both devices thoughts. The same comments would apply to the N10.1-14 because it's equipped with the same CPU/GPU options. The biggest difference is charging time. A full charge on the P-601 takes 7 hours and 5 on the S-800 version because of Qualcomm's QuickCharge feature.

Is there a 64GB version of the 2014 edition.

No, at least not one that's currently purchasable.

Are the mods / kernels worth using or should you stay stock?

Scott Rossler has done a CleanROM for the Wi-Fi N10.1-14 which you should be familiar with from the Asus forums. I don't know if he's adapted it (or will) for the P-601/5. There's far less development for the 3/4G versions because there are far fewer sold.

jsconiers

Jan 4, 2014
Thanks for the help! One final question, is there any reason to get the P605 instead of the P601. My understanding is that the P605 is LTE which I can't use on AT&T. But there is a small premium in terms of cost.

Yes. Both the P601 and P605 are quad band GSM and will deliver HSPA+ data speeds on AT&T's network (5-10MB down) and perhaps as high as 20MB down on T-Mobile because they're dual-channel HSPA which both N10.1-14's support. Any quad band GSM device will only work on T-Mobile in markets they've re-farmed to 1900MHz. Even then, being so high on the frequency band, indoor coverage can be poor and even outdoor reception can be spotty. If you're planning on using T-Mobile I'd ask people in a T-Mobile forum what kind of coverage they are getting where you'll be using your device. To use the dialer and MMS you'll need to put your device on a "smartphone" plan. "Tablet" plans don't support voice or messaging. Since you're "bringing your own," if you're on a Family Share plan with AT&T, it's only $15 a month now.

Here are my results on AT&T with a P-601. I've gotten both higher and lower depending on the market I've used it in.

No. Exynos is stronger in some benchmarks while S-800's stronger in others. Even then, where there's a difference, it's minimal and at such high performance levels for both chips you won't see the difference. Read the N3 forum to see people with both devices thoughts. The same comments would apply to the N10.1-14 because it's equipped with the same CPU/GPU options. The biggest difference is charging time. A full charge on the P-601 takes 7 hours and 5 on the S-800 version because of Qualcomm's QuickCharge feature.

Scott Rossler has done a CleanROM for the Wi-Fi N10.1-14 which you should be familiar with from the Asus forums. I don't know if he's adapted it (or will) for the P-601/5. There's far less development for the 3/4G versions because there are far fewer sold.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Thanks for the help! One final question, is there any reason to get the P605 instead of the P601. My understanding is that the P605 is LTE which I can't use on AT&T. But there is a small premium in terms of cost.

I live in Oz but the question is, Will the International LTE version support the LTE bands on AT&T? If not then you might think about getting the 3G version.
I don't know what it's like in America but in Oz there are lots of places that don't support LTE/4G.

jsconiers

Jan 4, 2014
APN settings

I purchased the p605. Can you send me your APN settings for ATT. the ones I have do not work. Thanks in advance.

jsconiers

Jan 4, 2014
25235546 2348

For APN type it only gives me three options: Internet+MMS, Internet and MMS. Assuming it should be one of the first two?

Name: AT&T
APN: phone
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC:
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified

Hope these help

Pistacchio1971

Dec 20, 2011

Hi...i have p600 wifi exynos note 10.1 2014 edition and the charging time from 4% to 100% is about 4:10 hours.
I think the charging time of p601 is similar because some processor.

Last edited: