Questions about updating from 4.1.2 to 4.3. What Do I loose?

Search This thread

MattDusza

Jan 21, 2014
So I tried reading some other threads, but honestly, alot of it just sounds waaaaaay too technical to me. I have a rooted 4.1.2 Verizon S3. Im getting the OTA notification to instal 4.3, but I cant install it until I go back to stock and then install it after Im unrooted. But I dont know if doing any of this is what I'm getting for what Im loosing. I dont know what a difference in modems will make, or things like that, but the big one I see is that it locks out Bootloader and able to install custom roms. Does that mean I also loose my ability to boot into Clockwork Mod? Or the ability to boot to the rom installation screen (Vol Down, Home and Power, then Vol Up)?

So can someone just help me out, and to pull a phrase from the reddit book, explain it to me like im 5.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
So I tried reading some other threads, but honestly, alot of it just sounds waaaaaay too technical to me. I have a rooted 4.1.2 Verizon S3. Im getting the OTA notification to instal 4.3, but I cant install it until I go back to stock and then install it after Im unrooted. But I dont know if doing any of this is what I'm getting for what Im loosing. I dont know what a difference in modems will make, or things like that, but the big one I see is that it locks out Bootloader and able to install custom roms. Does that mean I also loose my ability to boot into Clockwork Mod? Or the ability to boot to the rom installation screen (Vol Down, Home and Power, then Vol Up)?

So can someone just help me out, and to pull a phrase from the reddit book, explain it to me like im 5.

OK, if you update to 4.3, it will lock your bootloader and you CAN NOT install custom rom/kernel or recovery (CWM/TWRP) any more. Your phone will be just like stock phone with stock recovery. The only option is you still can root. Just FYI, there is a work around called safestrap, basically it allow you to install custom recovery (CWM/TWRP) on a separate partition and so is your custom rom, don't want to get into this too much). Hope you got your answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: MattDusza

MattDusza

Jan 21, 2014
Thanks. Thats really what I wanted to know. Do you know if this is something that will most likely forever be permanent or something that a fix or workaround to re-implement that ability back in the future?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Thanks. Thats really what I wanted to know. Do you know if this is something that will most likely forever be permanent or something that a fix or workaround to re-implement that ability back in the future?

Based on history, we never hack the bootloader, the reason we could unlock the bootloader is there a leaks. So I won't hold my breath on this...However, currently we have a work around which called safestrap, an app that use a separate partition to install custom recovery and rom, kind of dual O/S. The negative is it support limited custom rom and cut down the storage space.

Reactions: MattDusza

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Based on history, we never hack the bootloader, the reason we could unlock the bootloader is there a leaks. So I won't hold my breath on this...However, currently we have a work around which called safestrap, an app that use a separate partition to install custom recovery and rom, kind of dual O/S. The negative is it support limited custom rom and cut down the storage space.

I have faith that loki will work for our phone. If it does all we would need to do is lokify our aosp rom after we flash them in safestrap or have a pre edited rom. I think all we need to do is have the right aboot.img or someone who knows more about what to do than myself.

Reactions: ProtheusIRC

MattDusza

Jan 21, 2014
Is there a version of safestrap for the S3? I can only find ones for the s4 and the note 3 for samsung products.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Is there a version of safestrap for the S3? I can only find ones for the s4 and the note 3 for samsung products.

Its in the development section. And just a FYI I was wrong Loki will not work with safestrap unless hash code applies the Loki patch to safestrap. I have a strange feeling Loki exploit is patched for our boot loader but we will see.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OK, if you update to 4.3, it will lock your bootloader and you CAN NOT install custom rom/kernel or recovery (CWM/TWRP) any more. Your phone will be just like stock phone with stock recovery. The only option is you still can root. Just FYI, there is a work around called safestrap, basically it allow you to install custom recovery (CWM/TWRP) on a separate partition and so is your custom rom, don't want to get into this too much). Hope you got your answer.

I have faith that loki will work for our phone. If it does all we would need to do is lokify our aosp rom after we flash them in safestrap or have a pre edited rom. I think all we need to do is have the right aboot.img or someone who knows more about what to do than myself.