[Q] Why is Incredible S CPU msm7x30?

Search This thread

rqmok

Sep 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey there!

I have just received a vivo, and I would like to develop for it. The phone's specs state that vivo is msm8255, but when I look into the device tree of the phone, the ROMs use msm7x30 platform. Can someone please explain this to me?

Also, does anyone know the name of chips in vivo. This is a very hard thing to find. For example, the bluetooth is BCM4329.
If no one has this information then it is alright, but I would like to my first question answered.

Thank You. :good:

Reactions: mum2001

Jan 5, 2013
Hey there!

I have just received a vivo, and I would like to develop for it. The phone's specs state that vivo is msm8255, but when I look into the device tree of the phone, the ROMs use msm7x30 platform. Can someone please explain this to me?

Also, does anyone know the name of chips in vivo. This is a very hard thing to find. For example, the bluetooth is BCM4329.
If no one has this information then it is alright, but I would like to my first question answered.

You should PM Szeszo on this stuff. He is our main developer and has been pretty much our only developer for almost half a year now. He knows this device inside out :)

poondog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
100% same chipset as the 7x30 devices, our 8255 is essentially an overclocked 7x30 like on desire z
That's why desire z has same chipset as us

Bcm 4329 is WiFi too, but bcmdhd is used for AOSP and sense 4 which is ported from One V or latest prima

Wikipedia has some good information

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

szezso

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 1, 2012
Budakalász
Why is it so important? :) As poondog said, our CPU just an msm7x30 on higher clock. But we have that CPU's board name, why? Qualcomm knows... Like the MSM8225 and MSM8625Q (dual and quad-core Cortex-A5 CPUs) has msm7x27a board names. Why? Qualcomm knows...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Express using XDA-Developers app

jackylim

Dec 2, 2013
singapore
Hi everyone, im new here and my incredible s is msm7230 i had root the device and get no problem at all.
And now s KK 4.4. Battery last more then 24 hrs.Thanks to Szezso.

Send from HTC Incredible S-*Vivokat 4.4.2 - TESCO-Minimal kernel 3.6.7 (3.0.86, ION)-Radio- 3831.18.00.28_M

poondog

Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
Can we just call it Bill for simplicity kthxbye

rqmok

Sep 2, 2012
Melbourne
good luck with that we have been looking at it for MONTHS :D

haha so you are in Adelaide, the most boring city? :p

This is off topic, but...

Yes, Adelaide is a boring city. Nothing here to look at (can only look at myself in the mirror) :(
But what I do like about Adelaide is that it is a planned city; it is very hard to get lost here (even if someone tells you to get lost). When I went to Sydney, I got lost, because the roads aren't straight forward. I've also visited Melbourne, but I didn't like it, because the city there is too tight; the roads are very small, and the trams on the road take up too much space. But Melbourne kind of reminds me of my home country (Pakistan).

By the way, I do know somewhat about kernel development. I have tried to port a 3.4 kernel to a previous device, and I got the kernel to boot, but I coudn't get the ROM to boot. The phone died really quickly and now I cannot fully port the 3.4 kernel to it anymore, however someone else with the same device has already ported it, and I know how he did it. So, I am going to try it with vivo. But, I won't gurantee success.

Last edited:

poondog

Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
This is off topic, but...

Yes, Adelaide is a boring city. Nothing here to look at (can only look at myself in the mirror) :(
But what I do like about Adelaide is that it is a planned city; it is very hard to get lost here (even if someone tells you to get lost). When I went to Sydney, I got lost, because the roads aren't straight forward. I've also visited Melbourne, but I didn't like it, because the city there is too tight; the roads are very small, and the trams on the road take up too much space. But Melbourne kind of reminds me of my home country (Pakistan).

By the way, I do know somewhat about kernel development. I have tried to port a 3.4 kernel to a previous device, and I got the kernel to boot, but I coudn't get the ROM to boot. The phone died really quickly and now I cannot fully port the 3.4 kernel to it anymore, however someone else with the same device has already ported it, and I know how he did it. So, I am going to try it with vivo. But, I won't gurantee success.

Yeah haha fair enough it's boring :)
@szezso has tried but there are like no similar devices with a working 3.4.Y kernel so it's a bit hard.. working with like only one similar 3.4.Y device haha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why is it so important? :) As poondog said, our CPU just an msm7x30 on higher clock. But we have that CPU's board name, why? Qualcomm knows... Like the MSM8225 and MSM8625Q (dual and quad-core Cortex-A5 CPUs) has msm7x27a board names. Why? Qualcomm knows...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Express using XDA-Developers app
    100% same chipset as the 7x30 devices, our 8255 is essentially an overclocked 7x30 like on desire z
    That's why desire z has same chipset as us

Bcm 4329 is WiFi too, but bcmdhd is used for AOSP and sense 4 which is ported from One V or latest prima

Wikipedia has some good information

Hey there!