[A] Rom Manager ******WARNING READ THIS BEFORE******

Search This thread

jthatch12

Mar 24, 2012
Florida
Dear People,

Stop using Rom Manager!!!!!!!. I've read several posts over the last few days about people ****ing up their phone using ROM MANAGER. This piece of software does NOT work for our phones, so do us ALL a favor and STOP using it so we can stop posting:"First, you shouldn't have used Rom Manager" in your thread aptly named "Is my SGSII Bricked?". Thanks in advance boys and gals :highfive:

WITH LOVE,

Jthatch12

Last edited:

122ninjas

Jul 26, 2012
Arizona
Dear People,

Stop using Rom Manager!!!!!!!. I've read several posts over the last few days about people ****ing up their phone using ROM MANAGER. This peice of software does NOT work for our phones, so do us ALL a favor and STOP using it so we can stop posting:"First, you shouldn't have used Rom Manager" in your thread aptly named "Is my SGSII Bricked?". Thanks in advance boys and gals :highfive:

WITH LOVE,

Jthatch12

+1

wgoldfarb

Jul 12, 2012
D.C.
If only it were this easy...the problem is that the people who use ROM manager are typically those who don't take time to do their research or read the forums before rooting (if they did, they would know better), so they probably won't see your much-needed warning until they brick their phones and come here for help...(sigh)

122ninjas

Jul 26, 2012
Arizona
If only it were this easy...the problem is that the people who use ROM manager are typically those who don't take time to do their research or read the forums before rooting (if they did, they would know better), so they probably won't see your much-needed warning until they brick their phones and come here for help...(sigh)

We need a big notice when you visit this forum. IF YOU USED ROM MANAGER WE ARE NOT HELPING SEARCH.

Reactions: bleedingthru

jthatch12

Mar 24, 2012
Florida

This should be a sticky on all threads haha

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

wgoldfarb

Jul 12, 2012
D.C.
It is really getting ridiculous how many people post here after flashing their phone with ROM manager. I think they are outnumbering people from galaxys2root (it is a close competition). Isn't there a way do contact the dev of rom manager and have him make the app not run on the i777? At the very least he could post some kind of warning on the app.

beaverslayer

Feb 27, 2012
Vicksburg
Not sure how many people on here are religious, but I saw this verse today from the English Good News Translation of the bible. I had just flashed Mystic's Glory onto my phone and wanted to try out a bible app and this was the second verse I saw. I had to laugh and thought it would be fitting to those who come here in haste:

Proverbs 19 verse 2

Enthusiasm without knowledge is not good; impatience will get you into trouble.

122ninjas

Jul 26, 2012
Arizona
Not sure how many people on here are religious, but I saw this verse today from the English Good News Translation of the bible. I had just flashed Mystic's Glory onto my phone and wanted to try out a bible app and this was the second verse I saw. I had to laugh and thought it would be fitting to those who come here in haste:

Proverbs 19 verse 2

Quite a coincidence

Sent from my SGH-I777

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear People,

Stop using Rom Manager!!!!!!!. I've read several posts over the last few days about people ****ing up their phone using ROM MANAGER. This piece of software does NOT work for our phones, so do us ALL a favor and STOP using it so we can stop posting:"First, you shouldn't have used Rom Manager" in your thread aptly named "Is my SGSII Bricked?". Thanks in advance boys and gals :highfive:

WITH LOVE,

Jthatch12

Proverbs 19 verse 2

Is the same battery compatible with all models of the samsung galaxy s2?

Sent from my SGH-M919V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

No, and why are you posting that question in this thread? Well, at least you're reading it, which is more than can be said about some of the newer people around here!

If you're looking for a different battery, check the Accessories section; there are several threads dedicated to this Q.
    Ok, I removed rom manager.. however, I'm not sure how to remove clockworkmod that was installed by it.

I'm not sure where rom manager tries to install it. It is possible it is not persistent, meaning when you reboot, it will be gone anyway. Have you tried rebooting the phone?

Probably no one in this forum can answer your question because as this thread points out, rom manager doesn't work on our phone, and can cause problems, so no one would have experience with it here.

I'd like to replace it with a different recovery, but rom manager made it easiest to install that recovery. Can anyone point me in the right direction, without simply saying "search" because I have searched and I haven't found any clear instructions on how to either remove CWM that was installed by rom manager, or how to manually install another recovery (particularly one that has a backup feature, so I can save my stock rom incase something goes wrong). Is there something in the play store, similar to rom manager, that will assist me in doing this? If not, can someone post a link to a thread that will show me clearly how to do either of those things? Thank you. I am new to modding android, and its getting to be a bit frustrating.

As you have learned, the recovery is compiled into the kernel for this phone. It is installed into a single partition. The only way to change the recovery on this phone is to install a different kernel.

You need a kernel that is compatible with the version of stock on your phone. Do you have I777UCMD8, 4.1.2 Jelly Bean? If so, you need to install the AJK v4.9 no swap kernel to get ClockworkMod recovery. Since you are rooted already, all you need to do is install Mobile Odin lite or Mobile Odin pro to install the kernel. You can find instructions for doing this in this thread starting at post #16. I suggest you read through the whole thread. It's only about three pages long.

If you have a different version of the stock firmware, you will need a different kernel.

You will need to invest time studying so that you can perform modifications on your phone and your dad's note without making mistakes. You need to be fairly confident before you proceed with any action. If there are things you don't understand, go ahead and ask, but please don't ask questions instead of studying. You shouldn't get the bs here that you might get in the note forum.
    Read through the horror stories of people bricking their phones. If you need to flash things, do it the correct way and use CWM, not a shortcut.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Right, but I'm interested in the more technical aspects as to why we shouldn't use Rom Manager, Rom Toolbox Pro, or Mobile Odin Pro. I get that it can cause conflicts and bricks but do we know what it is about the software that causes these issues? What conflicts does it cause? For example why haven't I run into a problem with the software while others have? There has to be something that is triggering these problems. Is it because I'm using Rom Toolbox Pro rather than Rom Manager directly? I just want to better understand the situation here rather than just blindly following others.

And of course I'll read other posts and do more personal research but if anyone out there is kind enough, knowledge enough, and has the time, I would appreciate it if you could impart some of your wisdom that way myself, and future readers of this sticky, will read this and think "Oh, now I get why I shouldn't use this app." :)