How-to: Remove ads from FB in ie10

Search This thread

C-Lang

Nov 25, 2012
Redlands, CA
Sooo, I set out on a quest to block all ads, including Facebook ones to, well, speed up and clean up the interwebs. So, to block ads on Facebook and many other sites, I use not only tracking protection lists, but also this.

First, download and extract the zip attachment
Then, open desktop ie, go to internet options > general > accessibility > check “format documents using my style sheet”
Hit browse, navigate to and select the previously downloaded css.
Hit ok, and then ok again.

That's it! No more ads on FB!

Attachments

• ElementHidingRulesFBmodded.zip
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,527

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Ah cool, never though of using the stylesheets to hide ads.

Note though, unlike with Tracking Protection and "real" ad blockers, this doesn't actually protect you in any way. It just hides the element from displaying on the screen. Tracking cookies will still get places, (potentially malicious) JavaScript will still run, and your browser will take the time and bandwidth to download the files anyhow. It's unlikely to actually speed stuff up much.

mp3geek

Jan 8, 2009
Palmerston North
Code:
/*www.facebook.com*/
#rightCol,
/*www.facebook.com*/
#rightCol,

Blocking "rightcol" doesn't seem a bit excessive? I'd see lots of false positives from that.

C-Lang

Nov 25, 2012
Redlands, CA
Code:
/*www.facebook.com*/
#rightCol,
/*www.facebook.com*/
#rightCol,

Blocking "rightcol" doesn't seem a bit excessive? I'd see lots of false positives from that.

There's no way to just block the ads that I found, and the "rightcol" is full of sponsored "your friend likes this page" junk. Plus, I've never liked the suggested friends area.

Shootsy

Sep 13, 2015
Thank you!

Sooo, I set out on a quest to block all ads, including Facebook ones to, well, speed up and clean up the interwebs. So, to block ads on Facebook and many other sites, I use not only tracking protection lists, but also this.

Then, open desktop ie, go to internet options > general > accessibility > check “format documents using my style sheet”

Thanks! It is enough to see ads on Fb phone app and browsers. It really is how we get to access the sites for free. I have even found a few good deals.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.