[Q] Moto G Display Sunlight Legibility

Search This thread

satheesh.a

Jan 19, 2014
How is the legibility of Moto G display in strong, direct sun light??

It is a deal breaker for me because it's very sunny where I live and I use my phone >70% time outdoors.
That's why I'm still using Old Nokia 1202 Dump-phone. I don't need all the colors[I'm going to use text and maps only]

Examples;

Best phones: Nokia 1100, 1202 [B&W lcd, No backlight required for operation in sunlight]

Very Good phones: Nokia N95,N73,N79, Sony Ericsson W550 [Color LCD,No backlight required for operation in sunlight,Colors are washed out in direct sunlight but texts are perfectly readable]

Poor Phones: Motorola Flipout MB511, Sony Xperia L, Xperia E, Nokia 5230 [Color LCD,Needs strong Back light for operating in Well lit environment, Virtually become mirrors in direct sunlight and completely useless where i live]

Clivectmob

Apr 23, 2006
The Moto G does go bright, but I haven't tested it in very bright light as yet, so can't comment. I live in the UK. However, one phone that I know is good for outdoors is a Nokia lumia 620. That was amazing in direct sunlight. Just depends on whether you are fussy about your OS

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

satheesh.a

Jan 19, 2014
My phone is in automatic bright and works fine almost for me. I can see well the display without problems.

Thank you [GeneralGrevios] for the feedback.
Does it work the same when auto brightness disabled and brightness kept minimum??

The Moto G does go bright, but I haven't tested it in very bright light as yet, so can't comment. I live in the UK. However, one phone that I know is good for outdoors is a Nokia lumia 620. That was amazing in direct sunlight. Just depends on whether you are fussy about your OS

Thank you [Clivectmob] for the feedback.
Well, While I'm not much picky about OSes, I'm very fussy about the parent companies. :D Apple and Microsoft are no go for me and I try to avoid their products. I prefer android due to its opensource nature :good: .

Increasing the brightness to achieve legibility is not an elegant solution for the problem because the battery life takes a big hit .Moreover it does not work well in Strong direct sun light [Xperia L do this method].

But Using the reflective property of lcd background [Iphones and Nokia N95,E75 use this method] makes a good solution because it very power efficient and readability increases with bright sunlight.

It seems the Touchscreen digitizer is the one to blame due to its high reflective nature.But Now a days top glass is also very reflective.
Old nokia non-touch n series phones never had this problems

How does Moto G's display comparable to Iphone's interms of sunlight legibility??

Does top glass very reflective??

It seems reviewers don't do care much about screen legibility in direct sunlight or I cant find ones who do. :D

miklosbard

Mar 22, 2011
Budapest
if you switch off the display and use it as a mirror to look at a lamp, the image of the lamp on the screen is about half as bright as the original.

Also, an anti-glare screen protector could help you big time.

Sent from my phone

Clivectmob

Apr 23, 2006
As it happens, it's sunny today. I am writing this reply in direct sunlight with no difficulty. Solved.

satheesh.a

Jan 19, 2014
if you switch off the display and use it as a mirror to look at a lamp, the image of the lamp on the screen is about half as bright as the original.

Also, an anti-glare screen protector could help you big time.

Sent from my phone

Thank you [miklosbard] for the feedback.

I'll check out those anti-glare screen protectors. :)

As it happens, it's sunny today. I am writing this reply in direct sunlight with no difficulty. Solved.

That's Good to hear!! :good:
As I'm little paranoid,If possible can you check it again with minimum setting and auto brightness disabled??:D

Clivectmob

Apr 23, 2006
Well, I would imagine at minimum it wouldn't be great. Like most other modern phones. I will try again next time I venture out..

satheesh.a

Jan 19, 2014
With the minimum bright, you can't see, you maybe force you eyes. But if you let in automatic brightness the manager of energy of the Moto G is very efficient my battery lasts me all day.

Well, I would imagine at minimum it wouldn't be great. Like most other modern phones. I will try again next time I venture out..

I've tried it before, it's easy to read in the sunlight.

Thanks for the reply guys!!

I'll try to get my hands on the Moto G when available in my country.
I think it'll be good in outdoors. I like this phone because of great value for money
It seems Moto G does have a very good loudspeaker performance.:laugh:

junglebungle

Feb 1, 2011
Haven't tested it in sunlight because I live in London where it rains 90% of the time.

Sigh...

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

AluKed

Dec 13, 2013
I've used it here, in Brazil, outside, under direct summer sunlight. It's easily readable from about 50% brightness upwards.

junglebungle

Feb 1, 2011
In January, even if it was sunny in London it wouldn't be the "strong, direct sun light" that the OP is asking about, get yourself to the Caribbean and test it there!

You can't cater for everyone I suppose.. There has to be some flaws ... Suppose I'm lucky not having the sun they have in the caribbean it allows me to see my phone perfectly.

satheesh.a

Jan 19, 2014
Haven't tested it in sunlight because I live in London where it rains 90% of the time.

Sigh...

I've used it here, in Brazil, outside, under direct summer sunlight. It's easily readable from about 50% brightness upwards.

In January, even if it was sunny in London it wouldn't be the "strong, direct sun light" that the OP is asking about, get yourself to the Caribbean and test it there!

You can't cater for everyone I suppose.. There has to be some flaws ... Suppose I'm lucky not having the sun they have in the caribbean it allows me to see my phone perfectly.

Thanks for the response guys.

I work in a start-up company so it requires frequent local travel. I rely on the GPS to find the route. I have a 4 year old Nokia N79 and it gives only 2hr battery endurance(It has truck load of other problems like, dead wifi, using 3G will restart the phone, Gallery no longer opens.. etc) :crying: So i use it only for Navigation and I use a nokia 1203 for calls and messages.

I tried my friend's Xperia L and Motorola Flipout(Imported!), To my surprise both of them were virtually useless in direct sunlight except as mirrors to adjust my hair :laugh:

Moto G caught my eye because of its excellent speaker loudness(again useful in city traffic where i live) and value for money. I hope it gives me 12 hrs of battery endurance with 2-3 hrs of navigation and an hour worth of calls and messages.

I was thinking to have a hands-on before buying to check sunlight legibility.Unfortunately, it seems motorola is not going to release moto g in offline stores in india. :mad:

If i buy it,I intend to keep it for 3-4 years because i'm going to shell out my one month salary. :angel:

Reactions: techmachi

DroidLov

Aug 20, 2012

I work in a start-up company so it requires frequent local travel. I rely on the GPS to find the route. I have a 4 year old Nokia N79 and it gives only 2hr battery endurance(It has truck load of other problems like, dead wifi, using 3G will restart the phone, Gallery no longer opens.. etc) :crying: So i use it only for Navigation and I use a nokia 1203 for calls and messages.

I tried my friend's Xperia L and Motorola Flipout(Imported!), To my surprise both of them were virtually useless in direct sunlight except as mirrors to adjust my hair :laugh:

Moto G caught my eye because of its excellent speaker loudness(again useful in city traffic where i live) and value for money. I hope it gives me 12 hrs of battery endurance with 2-3 hrs of navigation and an hour worth of calls and messages.

I was thinking to have a hands-on before buying to check sunlight legibility.Unfortunately, it seems motorola is not going to release moto g in offline stores in india. :mad:

If i buy it,I intend to keep it for 3-4 years because i'm going to shell out my one month salary. :angel:

hi, I live in the deep south of Spain so we have harsh bright sunlight. The Moto G was not readable in direct sunlight. My friend who has a Nokia 920 joked that I forgot to put in on as his was perfectly readable.

I noticed the automatic brightness doesn't go high enough so I tested it with 100% (and 90% which looks identical). Definite improvement, but a little shade from your hand or turning the display away from the direct sunlight are needed.

Still not as good as the 920 but that has to do with reflection management. Overall I find it perfectly usable now that I installed Lux Lite which stores a custom profile to adjust automatically to the levels I actually need. Battery life is still about 6,5 hour screen so very good compared to other phones.

Hopes this helps.

nomancoolboy

Jun 24, 2012
Ahmedabad

Moto g is made for you ....
Its perfect for you

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My phone is in automatic bright and works fine almost for me. I can see well the display without problems.

Sigh...