[Q] How can I make a third-party SIP app act like the native dialer

Search This thread

zigguratt

Jan 10, 2007
Here's the issue: I have a N7 2013 LTE which I've unlocked/rooted. I've enabled SMS and installed the Google Dialer. Everything works well; I can send/receive SIP calls via the dialer and I can even answer calls with my Bluetooth headset because the SIP calls received by the Google dialer are perceived as actual phone calls by Android.

This falls apart when I want to use a third-party SIP/VoIP app. I can answer native SIP calls with my Bluetooth headset (a double-tap on the headset for the Jawbone ERA), but can't do so with a third-party app. I'm guessing that's because calls answered by the Google dialer are seen as real phone calls whereas those answered by a third-party app are media events, so the Bluetooth headset isn't notified of an incoming call. This even happens with CSipSimple set to integrate with the native dialer.

CSipSimple is a great app, but it suffers the fate of any app when left in memory too long: it gets kicked out. I can watch the SIP registration status at my SIP provider's website while CSipSimple is running in the background. CSipSimple stays registered for a while, then the status switches to disconnected. If I disable CSipSimple, the native dialer registers with my SIP provider and stays registered.

Can anyone confirm or deny any of this? Is there a way to have a third-party SIP/VoIP app act like the Google dialer? Or am I stuck with the native dialer?

zigguratt

Jan 10, 2007
Huh. Currently 117 views and nobody has an answer. :)

The Google dialer is fine, albeit a bit ugly, but it doesn't do landscape amongst other things. It would be great if I could replace it with CSipSimple or one of the many other SIP apps out there. I know I can use any app I like, but the issues in my first post preclude me from doing that. The native dialer stays registered with my SIP provider at all times. It also works well with my Bluetooth headset, allowing me to answer calls without having to touch my N7.

Anyone?