Awkwardly bad compass

Search This thread

Alex2221

May 24, 2010
Heya mates,
I'm quite happy with my Captivate Glide, but there's one thing that really annoys me.
The compass on the phone is really bad, it can tell me the vague direction, but it is not a bit compareable to my old HTC Dream.
This inaccuracy is especially noticeable when using Apps like Google Sky Map.

Did anyone else notice these problems too, or do I have just a bad magnet sensor in my phone?

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
Same here. Infuriating, because it means Samsung either didn't bother to test it, or tested it and said "screw it, let the customer deal with it."

In my maps app, I noticed the compass is actually off 90 degrees clockwise. If you turn the phone counterclockwise with the keyboard closed, the power-button side of the phone points the right direction (forward).

Alex2221

May 24, 2010
In my maps app, I noticed the compass is actually off 90 degrees clockwise. If you turn the phone counterclockwise with the keyboard closed, the power-button side of the phone points the right direction (forward).

I have exactly the same issue, but I thought it was on purpose, like that you are supposed to use it in landscape mode.

I've already used a gps.conf fix, but solved my slow GPS, but the compass is still as bad.