VZW Users upgrade and keep unlimited data!

Search This thread

spc_hicks09

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 23, 2011
Marion, OH
www.facebook.com
2rnexlj.jpg

As everyone on Verizon Wireless knows, unlimited data is becoming a thing of the past. There are a lot of tricks out there for upgrading your phone and keeping your unlimited data.

Not everyone knows about this loophole, which is why I'm posting it. So please do not post here saying "well everyone knows that." After posting this in a couple places, I've had plenty of people say "wow, I didn't know you could do that!" So anyway, without getting any further off topic, here it is:

Ok so let's say a new phone was just released on Verizon and you want it bad! For the sake of this post, we'll say the LG G3 since it seems to be the hottest phone out right now. Let's say Verizon has it for $199 on contract for 2 years. You want this phone really bad, but you are like the majority of us that simply don't have the money to buy a phone at full retail. Here's what you do, easily laid out in a few steps.

*All of this can be done either in the store, or online.

Precursor:
1.) Know what phone you want.
2.) Be the person in charge of the account, or at least be added as an Account Manager.
3.) Have available an old feature phone (dumbphone, flip phone) that can still be activated on Verizon's network.

Instructions:
1.) Add a new line to your account.
2.) Purchase the G3 on that line for $199
3.) Switch the G3 to YOUR unlimited data line.
4.) Activate the old feature phone on the new line.
5.) Turn the power off on the feature phone and never use it.
6.) Profit!

Some things to note are that YES you will be paying for that feature phone line, for 2 years. You will only be paying $10 a month though. Which adds up to $240 for the 2 year contract.

Now let's do the math for this, to see how much you're saving. For this part of the post, we'll say the G3 cost $600 off contract (most new phones are $600 - $700).

New line with new phone = $199
Price of new contract with feature phone = $240
Switching phones = $0

Total = $439 for a phone that would cost $600 off contract. You save money, you keep your unlimited data. After 2 years when the contract is up on the "feature phone" line, drop that line, then do it again.

If you have any success stories or if you know of another full proof loophole, please let me know. If you have any questions about the loophole I posted, please ask below! Thanks!

**Edit**

This method no longer works now as Verizon will require you to purchase a data package on the new line you're adding. The only way to continue with this loophole now, is to purchase the phone on a line that already has tiered data and a smartphone package.

Last edited:

markml0528

Feb 7, 2013
This is great, but this loophole is only valid until August 24th 2014. After that, if you renew your contract on that line that has the feature phone, you will be forced to keep the 30 dollar data package for the remainder of the contract even if you switch the smartphone to the unlimited data line.

bentleyboy

Jul 31, 2014
This is great, but this loophole is only valid until August 24th 2014. After that, if you renew your contract on that line that has the feature phone, you will be forced to keep the 30 dollar data package for the remainder of the contract even if you switch the smartphone to the unlimited data line.

Ugh, I got all excited thinking I was going to cheat the system and save some dollars. Alas...

spc_hicks09

Jan 23, 2011
Marion, OH
www.facebook.com
Yes if you renew your contract. Which is why you drop that new line, then add another after 2 years.

spc_hicks09

Jan 23, 2011
Marion, OH
www.facebook.com
Why not just buy outright then? You'd save more money.

Because you wouldn't save money.

Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that the LG G3 for Verizon will cost $600 outright. No contract.

Now let's say you use my method to upgrade to the G3.

Instructions:
6.) Suspend the new line with the feature phone on it.
7.) Profit!

Some things to note are that YES you will be paying for that feature phone line, for 2 years. You will only be paying $10 a month though. Which adds up to $240 for the 2 year contract.

Now let's do the math for this, to see how much you're saving. For this part of the post, we'll say the G3 cost $600 off contract (most new phones are $600 - $700).

Switching phones = $0

Total = $439
For a phone that would cost $600 off contract. You save money, you keep your unlimited data. After 2 years when the contract is up on the "feature phone" line, drop that line, wait about a week, add a line again, and go through the entire process again.

markml0528

Feb 7, 2013
Because you wouldn't save money.

Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that the LG G3 for Verizon will cost $600 outright. No contract.

Now let's say you use my method to upgrade to the G3.

Instructions:
6.) Suspend the new line with the feature phone on it.
7.) Profit!

Switching phones = $0

Total = $439
For a phone that would cost $600 off contract. You save money, you keep your unlimited data. After 2 years when the contract is up on the "feature phone" line, drop that line, wait about a week, add a line again, and go through the entire process again.

You wouldn't be saving money. Look here: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/08/25/upgrade-verizon-2-year-data-plan/

You can't do the $10/month feature phone thing anymore. If you buy a smartphone on contract on that line, you are required to keep the $30 data plan for the duration of the contract, or pay the etf. This is what i was saying at the beginning.

spc_hicks09

Jan 23, 2011
Marion, OH
www.facebook.com