can't boot into recovery mode

Search This thread

daxperienced1

Jan 19, 2012
Chandigarh
Hello XDA! this is my first post here. Though i have been reading it for a long time and and i am very helpful to this site for all help it provides.
this is first time i have to post because i couldn't find any solution after two days of searching around.

I have a sony xperia Z2 (D6502) and i was trying to root that thing. i unlocked the bootloader using Sony's official guide. But i can't root it. i consulted a guide at android.gs which told me to just download superSU.zip and boot into recovery, and install zip from there.however i just can't boot into recovery.

All the guides for booting Z2 into recovery say that -
1) Switch off the phone
2) Switch on, when notification led lights up, press volume up or down a few times.

But -
when switching on, notification lights of my phone never light up.it just shows a Sony logo, followed by a Xperia Logo and boot animation.

even the adb boot recovery method does not work. phone just does a complete restart. thats it.

Do i even have a recovery installed on my phone? i got no idea.

CenteaOSD

May 24, 2014
Beenleigh,QLD/Chigasaki(JPN)
Yeah You have to flash recovery first. Maybe it is better to flash DoomKernel, he is explaining how in his post. So it should not be to difficult

Sent from my D6503

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

P.S Don't forget to check your build and use right kernel. It won't boot if you flash wrong one.

Sent from my D6503

daxperienced1

Jan 19, 2012
Chandigarh
well, i have certainly tried that.

i downloaded all of files but when i put in first code in command prompt

"fastboot flash boot boot.img"

all it says is <waiting for device>

and the wait never ends,

dfire86

Mar 30, 2013
Follow these steps and try

Flash the custom recovery again using odin and when the reset button appears in odin window at the same time press the volume up and down both and hold till it get to the recovery menue

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Free mobile app

fatguy666

Jun 28, 2012
Glasgow
@dfire86 That's Samsung territory, doesn't work that way with Sony.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Haven't you forget to turn on USB Debug? Not kidding you.I've done it before.

Sent from my D6503

Maybe not booting the phone in fastboot mode?

OP, if you haven't already you should install flashtool, link here that I used last night https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByK8JL7P6wDTMXRvcTdjMzVuNFk/edit

You'll need the drivers to go with it, here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2635830

I went through all this last night. Unlocked bootloader fine. Used fastboot to install DooM's adv stock kernel but the rom I was on was stock 255 and kernel was for 402 so I was getting a black screen. I think the easiest thing for me would have been to fastboot on the 255 kernel but I wasn't thinking straight, used flashmode to put on a stock 402 rom and then used fastboot to put on the 402 kernel, finally got into recovery.

Man, this is much more work than doing a Samsung phone!

daxperienced1

Jan 19, 2012
Chandigarh
Well, I have turned on USB debugging. I tried rooting through flashtool too,but failed. just clicked the root button. also, how do i flash the kernel using flash tool.

dang, i remember this being much easier on my nexus.

Sent from my D6502 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

CenteaOSD

May 24, 2014
Beenleigh,QLD/Chigasaki(JPN)
Well, I have turned on USB debugging. I tried rooting through flashtool too,but failed. just clicked the root button. also, how do i flash the kernel using flash tool.

dang, i remember this being much easier on my nexus.

Sent from my D6502 using XDA Free mobile app

Are you sure that your bootloader is unlocked successfully ? Some career is not allowing you to unlock the bootloader. Can't think about other reason. Maybe try reinstall driver... Or maybe another method is avaliable for D6502

OFcourse. Nexus is easier... As it is made for development.

Sent from my D6503

daxperienced1

Jan 19, 2012
Chandigarh
well, im in india, and here, thankfully, carriers don't bother with locking bootloader and stuff.

And thanks to fatguy666. booting into fastboot mode was genius.

i booted into it and flashed kernel using flashtool.
and then phone went into recovery using normal given methods.

everything is done and dusted now. my xperia z2 is rooted! yay!

i love XDA. and thanks to fatguy:good::good::good::good::good::good:

fatguy666

Jun 28, 2012
Glasgow
Aww thanks!

Seriously, I struggled with this for a couple of hours last night. And here I was thinking Sony loved devs!

Arvind Jain

Apr 26, 2013
New Delhi
Hello XDA! this is my first post here. Though i have been reading it for a long time and and i am very helpful to this site for all help it provides.
this is first time i have to post because i couldn't find any solution after two days of searching around.

I have a sony xperia Z2 (D6502) and i was trying to root that thing. i unlocked the bootloader using Sony's official guide. But i can't root it. i consulted a guide at android.gs which told me to just download superSU.zip and boot into recovery, and install zip from there.however i just can't boot into recovery.

All the guides for booting Z2 into recovery say that -
1) Switch off the phone
2) Switch on, when notification led lights up, press volume up or down a few times.

But -
when switching on, notification lights of my phone never light up.it just shows a Sony logo, followed by a Xperia Logo and boot animation.

even the adb boot recovery method does not work. phone just does a complete restart. thats it.

Do i even have a recovery installed on my phone? i got no idea.

Same here .. am too facing the same situation in India. It is not possible to go into Recovery Mode with any procedure i.e. tried Keys Combination and also through ADB method but didn't succeeded.

Is it mandatory to unlock the Bootloader before entering Recovery Mode? Please help.

Regards!

A|ex

Oct 8, 2008
Hong Kong
Same here .. am too facing the same situation in India. It is not possible to go into Recovery Mode with any procedure i.e. tried Keys Combination and also through ADB method but didn't succeeded.

Is it mandatory to unlock the Bootloader before entering Recovery Mode? Please help.

Regards!

my bl is locked and my recovery worked fine until after x amount of restarts and now it will not let me back in.

stress40

Hi all, there are a few poeple on here with the same problem. The link is for the dual recovery thread. I assume everybody is on .314 and that is what everybody has? The problem is being looked into. I'm also looking for a solution. I did have it installed before updating to .314 so I'm gonna wait till a solution is found before re-installing. Apart from clean installing .314 and re-installing dual recovery I can't think of a solution off the top of my head. I was posting back and forward with someone last night who had tried re-installing dual recovery, but to no avail. Hence the reason I'm gonna wait. Hope this helps a bit peeps:fingers-crossed:

A|ex

Oct 8, 2008
Hong Kong
Yes on 314. I was thinking of.flashing a old fw onto phone before.dual recovery again but this issue has been around for months and I really need to update my rom

tigersaid

Jul 28, 2010
All I want is to be in recovery mode on stock fw 314.

When I turn my phone off and start it and waiting for the lightbar to show up for me to press either volume up or volume down several times to get into recovery mode, but my lightbar never light up and the sony loggo comes up and the phone starts normal.

I have also tried to go into recovery mode through my PC with USB debugging and ADB on on my phone and using an script and the phone just starts normal.

I have also tried an app called Quick Boot from Google Play but the phone starts normal.

My Phone:

Bootloader unlocked.
Rooted: Yes
FW: Stock 314. (I dont want any other than stock FW)

benengyj

Jun 14, 2009
I'm facing the same problems on .438 with an unlocked BL. Button presses doesn't work and the LED doesn't glow during boot anyway.

EDIT: Stupid question but is recovery lost after a FTF flash? Anyway, I solved my problem by running the XZDualRecovery installer. :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @dfire86 That's Samsung territory, doesn't work that way with Sony.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Haven't you forget to turn on USB Debug? Not kidding you.I've done it before.

Sent from my D6503

Maybe not booting the phone in fastboot mode?

OP, if you haven't already you should install flashtool, link here that I used last night https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByK8JL7P6wDTMXRvcTdjMzVuNFk/edit

You'll need the drivers to go with it, here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2635830

I went through all this last night. Unlocked bootloader fine. Used fastboot to install DooM's adv stock kernel but the rom I was on was stock 255 and kernel was for 402 so I was getting a black screen. I think the easiest thing for me would have been to fastboot on the 255 kernel but I wasn't thinking straight, used flashmode to put on a stock 402 rom and then used fastboot to put on the 402 kernel, finally got into recovery.

Man, this is much more work than doing a Samsung phone!
    hello i have a sony xperia z2 i installed the doom kernel and its was finish, but i can´t started the recovery

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

someone here there have a idea
    Why would you use doom kernel?