[APP] BSRemote 1.2.7 update

Search This thread

gapipro

May 18, 2011
New version released.

BSRemote 1.2.7

Control BSPlayer from your armchair!

BSRemote is a BSPlayer remote control application for Android smartphones. It allows you to
- control the volume (mute)
- control playback status (play, pause, stop)
- seek movie position
- browse and select a movie file for playback
- manage a playlist
- load subtitles

Additionaly, it features
- full screen toggle
- timed host computer shutdown
- recent played videos list
- start BSplayer on first command
- exit BSplayer

There are two components to BSRemote: the Android application package (.apk) and the host server application. You can download both of them on our home page or use the Android Market for the smartphone component.

Change log (1.2.0):
- added sort by date/name
- added ascending/descending sort
- more elegant way for switching panels
- added support for audio files
- added few new options in settings panel
- fixed few bugs

Change log (1.2.1):
- server autodetection
- support for aspect ratio
- buttons for next and previous item in playlist
- optimized usage of battery
- fixed few bugs and other stuff

Change log (1.2.2):
- fixed bugs

Change log (1.2.3):
- fixed connection bug

Change log (1.2.4):
- playlist bugfix
- disconnect bugfix
- misc bugfixes

Change log (1.2.5):
- added control for aspect ratio
- added control for panning
- added option for keeping the display always on
- added option to switch between hosts
- fixed playlist bugs
- fixed connectivity crashes

Change log (1.2.6):
- fixed subtitle loading

Change log (1.2.7):
Application changes:
- global volume up/down (main system volume control)
- unicode file name support (update BSPlayer to latest beta version)
- RAR file support
- bugfixes

Server changes:
- new, configurable, install system
- autoupdater
- crash reporter
- network and removable drive support
- dropped separate 32/64 bit binaries

If you have any problems with application or server please visit our forum

remote1.jpg
remote4.jpg
remote2.jpg
remote3.jpg

Last edited:

sholimar

Feb 25, 2011
WOW! I've been using TeamViewer to do this until now! :D

Thank you very much! Gonna try it as soon as I get home and post the results!

Didn't get around to posting last night, but here's a quick review:
- in the ~15 minutes I played around with it, it behaved really well! :)
- I only once got disconnected (but that was probably the network's fault), but soon afterwards it reconnected normally
- I really like all the options present (congrats for including all the normal stuff we do with our video players :) ), but if I may, I have a suggestion: when going from one interface to the other, the user has to slide a finger on the screen... if he/she isn't careful, then upon sliding, the volume will get turned down instead of the new screen appearing. Also, the user has no way of knowing that there are other screens present... so, I would make use of the tabs interface present everywhere in Android (this would also sort the sliding thing).
Even better, I would merge the first two interfaces, maybe keep the slider for seeking and use a "volume increase" (that triangular thing made of bars) graphic for the... volume part :), as well as make the play/pause a toggle rather than two buttons.

I hope this helps... thank you again for your work and once again: great stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: gapipro

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com

- I only once got disconnected (but that was probably the network's fault), but soon afterwards it reconnected normally
- I really like all the options present (congrats for including all the normal stuff we do with our video players :) ), but if I may, I have a suggestion: when going from one interface to the other, the user has to slide a finger on the screen... if he/she isn't careful, then upon sliding, the volume will get turned down instead of the new screen appearing. Also, the user has no way of knowing that there are other screens present... so, I would make use of the tabs interface present everywhere in Android (this would also sort the sliding thing).
Even better, I would merge the first two interfaces, maybe keep the slider for seeking and use a "volume increase" (that triangular thing made of bars) graphic for the... volume part :), as well as make the play/pause a toggle rather than two buttons.

I agree with everything said above... ESPECIALLY how good this app is :)
I use BSPlayer for all Tv Shows and this comes in SO handy.

wonderful job!

I know I'm jumping way forward but it just occurred to me now that you could also use the same interface for different media players in the same app. all the user has to do is choose the media player he'd like to control and.. voila!

I'm willing to beta test of course.

smeddy

Apr 1, 2009
London, UK
Amazing! Thankyou! I alternate between BSPlayer and GOMPlayer, as I find GOMPlayer easier to control remotely, but this may cause me to switch :)

I particularly love how smooth browsing folders and files are (one point: I have a folder with 800 unsorted files in it, and this caused the server software to crash, which is no biggie really, considering the strain I put it under!)

I ditto the comments above, and will add that I did not find the second interface until I saw this post. Also, I cannot find out how to launch BSPlayer, and cannot launch files until I've opened BSPlayer (which means I can't dump the mouse just yet!).

Also, there's inconsistencies in how the Back button works, which means I sometimes end up exiting the app when actually I just want to go back to the first interface.

(also I do agree on merging the main interfaces, or finding additional functions to make two screens necessary).

But overall, and for a first release, THIS IS AMAZING!! THANKYOU :)

gapipro

May 18, 2011
Thank you for all this feedback.

I will fix all bugs you noticed and redo design a little so it will be more user friendly and more obvious for new users.

New release coming soon =)

Reactions: nir36

gapipro

May 18, 2011
I particularly love how smooth browsing folders and files are (one point: I have a folder with 800 unsorted files in it, and this caused the server software to crash, which is no biggie really, considering the strain I put it under!)

Can you describe a little more how you managed to crash server?

And does it happen always on that folder?

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
Hey, Few recommendations.

1. Increase the size of the playng title.
2. unify 2 of the screens - have the volume, seek bar, play, pause and stop on the same screen (it's just so much more intuitive) and keep the playlist on another.
3. add an option to control multiple hosts by searching the LAN for the server. there are many homes with more than one media playing computer.
4. add a feature to load the imdb page (mobile browser)/imdb page (imdb app) of the currently played (or in the playlist) movie/tv show.

I love this app.
Thank you.

gapipro

May 18, 2011
Thank you for recommendations.

1. will be done
2. Well basic idea for 2 separate screens was that most basic controls play/stop/pause and volume are separated from others just to make pressing buttons simple. So you don't mistakenly press something else.
3. In next version autodetect for server will be implemented and in case of multiple detected servers user can choose where to connect.
4. Do you know how to get full title of a movie out of a file name that is not always name of a movie?
5. Will be added in next release

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
getting the title should depend on the file name. if the user is accurate enough, his files would be named accordingly. there are usually general patterns to the name (e.g. moviename.year.release....)

moreover, you can let the user write the pattern in which his files are named..

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

smeddy

Apr 1, 2009
London, UK
Hi, I did send this as a private message, but I thought I'd put it in the thread too:

First of all, I love it, I'm interested to see if it will edge out GRemote as my remote of choice. I think it will...

Some more UI things:
1) I love the file browsing interface - it's so smooth and clear, very nice!
2) I feel like the interface is missing a "Browse" button, otherwise you have to touch a hardware button, which feels more effort.
3) I'd also consider having the App open on the browse page, at least when it's opened for the first time.
4) I like the "quick remote" idea of the first screen, but I still miss having a Volume Remote on the second screen (alongside the progress bar)
5) When scrolling between screens it's quite easy to knock the progress bar
6) Thanks for improving the "Back" button but it still feels easy at time to exit the app, compared to how other apps work.

I've written this in a hurry so may send some more tomorrow or soon!

But again, it's becoming v good!

Also, you (gapipro) asked how I crashed the app with 800 files - I can't tell you now as I can't replicate it - as you fixed it! - but just to clarify, I crashed the app and not the server :) - I think it just froze or I force-closed it after a minute or something.

Anyway, BSRemote is now my official media remote!!

Potential ideas:

1) Have a "skip 10 seconds back/front" button
2) Pause playback on incoming phone-call
3) Have a very simple widget or two (for, e.g. Play/Pause), so I can have a control button directly on my homescreen!
4) If possible, screengrab a preview of the video, to display in the App.
5) As stated above, launch the App with the Browse menu, and have Browse as a soft-button on the interface.
6) Either have a very simple update process for the server (the best one to my mind is the one inside uTorrent) - and possibly have the updated .apks within the server, which can be pushed to the phone automatically - or even do the exact opposite, where you download the updated App from the market, and contained within it is the PC update, which then gets pushed to the PC. (Either way, it makes this a one-step update process and I hereby copyright this idea under the name "Updat-Ed" :))

Much love!!

Edd

Last edited:

gapipro

May 18, 2011
Hi, I did send this as a private message, but I thought I'd put it in the thread too:

First of all, I love it, I'm interested to see if it will edge out GRemote as my remote of choice. I think it will...

Some more UI things:
1) I love the file browsing interface - it's so smooth and clear, very nice!
2) I feel like the interface is missing a "Browse" button, otherwise you have to touch a hardware button, which feels more effort.
3) I'd also consider having the App open on the browse page, at least when it's opened for the first time.
4) I like the "quick remote" idea of the first screen, but I still miss having a Volume Remote on the second screen (alongside the progress bar)
5) When scrolling between screens it's quite easy to knock the progress bar
6) Thanks for improving the "Back" button but it still feels easy at time to exit the app, compared to how other apps work.

I've written this in a hurry so may send some more tomorrow or soon!

But again, it's becoming v good!

Also, you (gapipro) asked how I crashed the app with 800 files - I can't tell you now as I can't replicate it - as you fixed it! - but just to clarify, I crashed the app and not the server :) - I think it just froze or I force-closed it after a minute or something.

Anyway, BSRemote is now my official media remote!!

Potential ideas:

1) Have a "skip 10 seconds back/front" button
2) Pause playback on incoming phone-call
3) Have a very simple widget or two (for, e.g. Play/Pause), so I can have a control button directly on my homescreen!
4) If possible, screengrab a preview of the video, to display in the App.
5) As stated above, launch the App with the Browse menu, and have Browse as a soft-button on the interface.
6) Either have a very simple update process for the server (the best one to my mind is the one inside uTorrent) - and possibly have the updated .apks within the server, which can be pushed to the phone automatically - or even do the exact opposite, where you download the updated App from the market, and contained within it is the PC update, which then gets pushed to the PC. (Either way, it makes this a one-step update process and I hereby copyright this idea under the name "Updat-Ed" :))

Much love!!

Edd

Thanks for another response :)

A lot of your ideas are very interesting and they will be implemented in next few releases.

Don't know if you have noticed but 10s front/back can be made by pressing + or - buttons under seek bar. And you can even change "length" of skip by pressing seek button (the clock like icon).

About that problem with switching panel. Do you swipe your finger to switch or you use that left and right hidden buttons?

gapipro

May 18, 2011
New version 1.2.1 is available for download from market.

Change log (1.2.1):
- server autodetection

gapipro

May 18, 2011
Another quick release 1.2.2 that fixes few bugs. =)

@smeddy: Yes swiping finger can be hard on 2nd panel thats why those buttons were made so you can switch panel without hitting anything. Or you can even use trackball if you have it.

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
I know I'm jumping way forward but it just occurred to me now that you could also use the same interface for different media players in the same app. all the user has to do is choose the media player he'd like to control and.. voila!

1. Increase the size of the playng title.
4. add a feature to load the imdb page (mobile browser)/imdb page (imdb app) of the currently played (or in the playlist) movie/tv show.

getting the title should depend on the file name. if the user is accurate enough, his files would be named accordingly. there are usually general patterns to the name (e.g. moviename.year.release....)

moreover, you can let the user write the pattern in which his files are named..

gapipro... was just wondering if the mentioned above is still taken under consideration
especially the multiple media players part.

Btw, I didn't really notice if the font of the playing title was increased..

Again, thank you so much for the wonderful work.

Last edited:

smeddy

Apr 1, 2009
London, UK
nir36: The best program to do what you want is GRemote. I'm a big fan of it, although BSRemote has now eclipsed it for my needs, and I've switched to using BSPlayer from other players such as GOMPlayer/VLC/WMP/XBMC etc. on my PC.

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
nir36: The best program to do what you want is GRemote. I'm a big fan of it, although BSRemote has now eclipsed it for my needs, and I've switched to using BSPlayer from other players such as GOMPlayer/VLC/WMP/XBMC etc. on my PC.

GRemote is too complicated and too graphical in my opinion. It's also not straightforward. You have many options which are just not necessary for me. bsremote is absolutely perfect when it comes to a media player remote... especially considering that BSPlayer is such a popular one.

thx tho.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New version released.

BSRemote 1.2.7

Control BSPlayer from your armchair!

BSRemote is a BSPlayer remote control application for Android smartphones. It allows you to
    - control the volume (mute)
    - control playback status (play, pause, stop)
    - seek movie position
    - browse and select a movie file for playback
    - manage a playlist
    - load subtitles

Additionaly, it features
    - full screen toggle
    - timed host computer shutdown
    - recent played videos list
    - start BSplayer on first command
    - exit BSplayer

There are two components to BSRemote: the Android application package (.apk) and the host server application. You can download both of them on our home page or use the Android Market for the smartphone component.

Change log (1.2.0):
    - added sort by date/name
    - added ascending/descending sort
    - more elegant way for switching panels
    - added support for audio files
    - added few new options in settings panel
    - fixed few bugs

Change log (1.2.1):
    - server autodetection

Change log (1.2.2):
    - fixed bugs

Change log (1.2.3):
    - fixed connection bug

Change log (1.2.4):
    - playlist bugfix
    - disconnect bugfix
    - misc bugfixes

Change log (1.2.5):
    - added control for aspect ratio
    - added control for panning
    - added option for keeping the display always on
    - added option to switch between hosts
    - fixed playlist bugs
    - fixed connectivity crashes

Change log (1.2.6):
    - fixed subtitle loading

Change log (1.2.7):
    Application changes:
    - global volume up/down (main system volume control)
    - unicode file name support (update BSPlayer to latest beta version)
    - RAR file support
    - bugfixes

Server changes:
    - new, configurable, install system
    - autoupdater
    - crash reporter
    - network and removable drive support
    - dropped separate 32/64 bit binaries

If you have any problems with application or server please visit our forum

remote1.jpg
    remote4.jpg
    remote2.jpg
    remote3.jpg

I agree with everything said above... ESPECIALLY how good this app is :)
    I use BSPlayer for all Tv Shows and this comes in SO handy.

wonderful job!

I'm willing to beta test of course.
    Amazing! Thankyou! I alternate between BSPlayer and GOMPlayer, as I find GOMPlayer easier to control remotely, but this may cause me to switch :)

I ditto the comments above, and will add that I did not find the second interface until I saw this post. Also, I cannot find out how to launch BSPlayer, and cannot launch files until I've opened BSPlayer (which means I can't dump the mouse just yet!).

Also, there's inconsistencies in how the Back button works, which means I sometimes end up exiting the app when actually I just want to go back to the first interface.

(also I do agree on merging the main interfaces, or finding additional functions to make two screens necessary).

But overall, and for a first release, THIS IS AMAZING!! THANKYOU :)
    Thank you for all this feedback.

I will fix all bugs you noticed and redo design a little so it will be more user friendly and more obvious for new users.

New release coming soon =)