[Q] [CM7 + INT2EXT+] How to move apps to internal memory for the widgets to work?

Search This thread

jfromeo

Aug 7, 2011
I have an HTC Desire (GSM) with CM 7.2.0.1 and INT2EXT+ script installed from a fresh ROM flash. The sd-ext partition is in EXT4 format and it has a capacity of 1GB.

The phone and the script is working perfectly, but I need some apps to be moved to the internal memory for the widgets to work (among other things).

Basically I would need to move the Swiftkey keyboard, ADW EX launcher (otherwise, at every reboot the stock keyboard and launcher are used), Extended controls and Beautiful Widgets... (for the widgets to appear in the launcher).

I have tried to move the apks as system apks (with Root Uninstaller Pro), but it did not work (widgets do not appear, and launcher and keyboard are reset after every reboot). I guess this is the same as doing it via terminal emulator:

su
#mv /system/sd/nameofapp.apk /system/app

Will the adb way do the trick then?

adb to push the file to system/app
adb remount
adb push (location of file in pc) /system/app

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:

abaaaabbbb63

Nov 19, 2011
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
I have an HTC Desire (GSM) with CM 7.2.0.1 and INT2EXT+ script installed from a fresh ROM flash. The sd-ext partition is in EXT4 format and it has a capacity of 1GB.

The phone and the script is working perfectly, but I need some apps to be moved to the internal memory for the widgets to work (among other things).

Basically I would need to move the Swiftkey keyboard, ADW EX launcher (otherwise, at every reboot the stock keyboard and launcher are used), Extended controls and Beautiful Widgets... (for the widgets to appear in the launcher).

I have tried to move the apks as system apks (with Root Uninstaller Pro), but it did not work (widgets do not appear, and launcher and keyboard are reset after every reboot). I guess this is the same as doing it via terminal emulator:

su

adb remount

Thanks a lot in advance!

When moving them to the system apps folder, you have to change their permissions too to rw-r--r--.

Reactions: jfromeo

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
I'm unfamiliar with the script but I think you're over complicating the process.

You shouldn't need to move them to /system at all to get them to work, just make sure all your apps are on sd-ext.

- You should be s-off with cm7r2 hboot to maximise space.

- You don't need to 'move to sd' with any of your apps if you have the script installed. If you do this you are moving your apps to the fat32 partition of the sdcard not the sd-ext. this also breaks widgets.

- Do you have the option to 'move to phone' ? This should already trick the app to sd-ext as originally intended.

jfromeo

Aug 7, 2011
I'm unfamiliar with the script but I think you're over complicating the process.

You shouldn't need to move them to /system at all to get them to work, just make sure all your apps are on sd-ext.

- You don't need to 'move to sd' with any of your apps if you have the script installed. If you do this you are moving your apps to the fat32 partition of the sdcard not the sd-ext. this also breaks widgets.

- Do you have the option to 'move to phone' ? This should already trick the app to sd-ext as originally intended.

Thanks a lot.

With Appmgr Pro III I could "move to phone" the apps I needed and everything worked correctly, thanks!

But now I feel all the phone in general really takes its time to execute any action (open an app, keyboard takes some seconds to appear, unresponsive sometimes, system process hangs...). I do not have many apps installed (~40), only 1 screen with 3 widgets, and I check regularly with a task killer that I have enough free memory (always more than ~100MB).

Could it be because the sd-card (Transcend 32GB class 4) is "slower" than the internal memory? I guess there is no fix for this, as if I want the extra space it is the tax to pay.

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
Thanks a lot.

With Appmgr Pro III I could "move to phone" the apps I needed and everything worked correctly, thanks!

But now I feel all the phone in general really takes its time to execute any action (open an app, keyboard takes some seconds to appear, unresponsive sometimes, system process hangs...). I do not have many apps installed (~40), only 1 screen with 3 widgets, and I check regularly with a task killer that I have enough free memory (always more than ~100MB).

Could it be because the sd-card (Transcend 32GB class 4) is "slower" than the internal memory? I guess there is no fix for this, as if I want the extra space it is the tax to pay.

As long as you're not actually using the task killer to constantly kill apps then it's ok...

I wouldn't worry too much about the free memory, remember Android memory works differently. It's meant to be full, learn to stop monitoring it constantly. Therefore you might as well uninstall the task killer anyway.

sd card speed will be generally slower yes, but depends how the script works, like I say I'm not sure. If it moves any app data to sd-ext, this can cause slow downs.

It's best to keep app data (saved game data, app settings etc) on your actual /data partition, both for speed and stability. Use the sd-ext for app apks and dalvik cache.

You could check with something like 'DiskUsage' how the script works.

For app space with CM7 personally I would full wipe, install the ROM on cm7r2 hboot, and use a different app/script like S2E or Darktremor A2SD. Use one of them to automatically move apps and dalvik cache to sd-ext, keep app data on internal (/data). It won't necessarily look your internal memory has increased (will read only 287MB), but the sd-ext will be working as it should.

jfromeo

Aug 7, 2011

As long as you're not actually using the task killer to constantly kill apps then it's ok...

I wouldn't worry too much about the free memory, remember Android memory works differently. It's meant to be full, learn to stop monitoring it constantly. Therefore you might as well uninstall the task killer anyway.

sd card speed will be generally slower yes, but depends how the script works, like I say I'm not sure. If it moves any app data to sd-ext, this can cause slow downs.

It's best to keep app data (saved game data, app settings etc) on your actual /data partition, both for speed and stability. Use the sd-ext for app apks and dalvik cache.

For app space with CM7 personally I would full wipe, install the ROM on cm7r2 hboot, and use a different app/script like S2E or Darktremor A2SD. Use one of them to automatically move apps and dalvik cache to sd-ext, keep app data on internal (/data). It won't necessarily look your internal memory has increased (will read only 287MB), but the sd-ext will be working as it should.

Thanks again. I will stays some days with this INT2EXT+ script, and change to any of the ones you recommend if I am not satisfied with the speed/stability :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

su

adb remount

Thanks a lot in advance!

When moving them to the system apps folder, you have to change their permissions too to rw-r--r--.

Thanks a lot.