Appalling battery performance, Wakelocks. Please help.

Search This thread

senjiroh

Nov 20, 2012
London
My M8 went from being the best phone I've ever had in terms of battery performance, to being utterly awful a few days back. I organised an exchange, but in the time I was waiting for the exchange to take place, a factory reset seemed to fix it. Still went with the exchange anyway.

I restored from HTC backup, and this one is having the same issue, battery wise. Also heating up sporadically. GSAM tells me I am getting an awful lot of BAM_DMUX_WAKELOCK and I've tried uninstalling apps, factory wiping and HTC restore, factory wiping and Google restore only, factory wiping and everything manually, and factory wiping and leaving it completely stock and nothing seems to make any difference.

Any ideas? It's bugging the hell out of me, I get about 12-16hrs of life with the phone barely being used now, whereas before I could get through a day of moderate to heavy use with more than half charge left.

Should I try another exchange? :confused:

nizbot

Oct 4, 2010
assuming you Googled that wake lock...

What happens if you factory restore, don't install anything but the system app updates and turn off all of your Google account sync except for Gmail, app data and contacts?

I'm only trying to help you isolate the issue. I don't really have any more idea than you about the cause.

also, post some screenshots of your bbs and battery screens to help anyone who might like to help you out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

senjiroh

Nov 20, 2012
London
Thanks for replying!

Googling brought me somewhat inconclusive results about rogue apps and 2 year old maps settings.

I've just reinstalled GSAM (I read somewhere that BBS can contribute to issues) and I'll upload some screencaps at the end of today's battery life.

assuming you Googled that wake lock...

What happens if you factory restore, don't install anything but the system app updates and turn off all of your Google account sync except for Gmail, app data and contacts?

I'm only trying to help you isolate the issue. I don't really have any more idea than you about the cause.

also, post some screenshots of your bbs and battery screens to help anyone who might like to help you out.

senjiroh

Nov 20, 2012
London
Ok, so these stats got reset due to restarting my phone today. Overall battery performance to this point is over 14Hr give or take. 4G was turned off most of today due to a 4G mast being faulty near my workplace so overall performance was actually slightly better than it has been lately, but still way worse than it used to be.

Screencaps!

2tDQFb5.png

OWPz0sk.png

nDMztBg.png

Main concern is that wakelock, it's almost 1/4 of my uptime!

Last edited:

nizbot

Oct 4, 2010
Chrome at 7% is almost suspect, but uninstall Facebook just to get some cleaner results. Use the browser version in mean time... f that app, but that's just my opinion.

senjiroh

Nov 20, 2012
London
Chrome at 7% is almost suspect, but uninstall Facebook just to get some cleaner results. Use the browser version in mean time... f that app, but that's just my opinion.

Facebook cannot be uninstalled. I've always had it on in the past, even when I used to get really good performance. I think it's been bad since the latest HTC update.

senjiroh

Nov 20, 2012
London
I have disabled all syncing of FB and twitter with HTC services this morning and am only synching google with Mail, Contacts, Calendar and appdata. So far, no improvements today.

nizbot

Oct 4, 2010
Did you restart after disabling these? In advanced Wifi settings is Scanning Always Available unchecked? BTW a little BAM_DMUX_WAKELOCK is normal. Just not hours.

IDK man, everything I can find on this points to a rouge app or service using your radio. Feedback seems to point to a mix of everything from BT to 3rd party app syncing. I think you're going to have to get linear with your troubleshooting. Go app by app and disable, wait and see if it improves.

Sorry man, this is an annoying one for sure.

-n