[Q] Overclock

Which kernel you believe is really overclocked?

• Merruk beta file (900Mhz)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Merruk Pre-2.0 FINAL (1024Mhz)

• Merruk V2.5 #206 (1.248Ghz)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • eXtreme Kernel (1024Mhz)

• Eve's kernel (1.248Ghz)

• AXIOM 1.0 (1.248Ghz)

• Jarvis kernel (1.248Ghz)

• None of them!

• I don't know

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Vohukain

Apr 3, 2014
Hi!
I'm very confused now. I have find out that devs have had really hard time trying to overclock s5360. I have been told that only Merruk 2.5 (OC 1.2Ghz) kernel is really overclocked and others just look like overclocked but they really are locked to 832Mhz. Is it really so? Is Maroc-OS's previously beta file (900Mhz) just placebo?

EDIT:
Here is Maroc-OS's answer to question: "Is the OC real or not?"

Background:
SGY has BCM21553 CPU which is running at 832Mhz with two frequencies (312Mhz, 832Mhz) as default. However there are some devices which are running at 1Ghz by default with the same CPU (BCM21553). That is why Maroc-OS wanted to OC his kernel.

First of all irfanbagus made a patch for s5360 to open additional freqs. Then Maroc-OS made a merruk beta file based on that patch. With that beta file you can "OC" stock and Savie #73 kernel to 900Mhz. However Maroc-OS and other devs found out that the beta file was not real OC because you can't OC BCM21553 with irfanbagus' patch. You can only add lower than 832Mhz freqs with that patch. Then Marok-OS decied to make new kernel.

Marok-OS built Merruk 2.0 which is "OC" to 1Ghz but again he found out that is was not real OC. Then he decied to try OC by different way. After much development Maroc-OS realesed first really overclocked MerrukTechnology Developer Edition V.2.5 kernel. However some people started to argue that even Merruk V2.5 kernel is not real OC. You can read the whole conversation about that starting from here to here. Maroc-OS made pretty clear that OC is working.

Then everybody noticed that AnTuTu or any other bechmark scores didn't raise up with OC (like they should). Some tester said that they can feel to faster performance and some people say that they didn't. Here Maroc-OS say that the OC doesn't work correctly but I guess that means that the kernel is not stable yet.

After same serious work Maroc-OS realesed updates to his V2.5 kernel and some people report better AnTuTu scores. Still there were some devs who said that OC is not working. Maroc-OS's final aswer to that argue is here.

That answer is what I find interesting. Maroc-OS said that the OC is semi working. When the freq is changed to over 832Mhz (1.248Ghz for example) the CPU tries to change it back to 832Mhz. Maroc-OS made the kernel to change freq back to over 832Mhz as quickly as possible. That means:
when the governor try always to swich to it randomly and back to 832 if he did it 20 times in a sec we got it working :) but not fully working one :))
So the freq is jumping between OC freq and 832Mhz. That means that OC is semi working. Maroc-OS wanted to make it fully working but never got that far because he just left from here xda.

However people didn't stop talk about is OC real or not. Here is people's opinion (link, link, link) You can read more starting from here to here. Then continue reading from here to here. Then you can check from here to here. Lastly you should check from here to here

This is the last post where Maroc-OS say something about OC.

Then let's talk little bit about other OC kernel. First one after Merruk kernel was Maroc-OS team member Mohamed.Anwar with eXtreme kernel (OC at 1Ghz). This is what Mohamed.Anwar said when Maroc-OS left. After all it turns out that Mohamed.Anwar used irfanbagus's patch to OC like Maroc-OS first did with merruk beta file. That means that eXtreme kernel is not real OC kernel.

Then there were Eve's kernel. The dev itself say that he/she doesn't know if the OC is working or not. He/she used some sources from Merruk kernels but I don't know is it really working or not. Many people say that is not real OC. Then there are Jarvis kernel and AXIOM kernel but they are based on Eve's kernel. Again, many people say that they are not real OC.

So you have to make your own conclusion about is the OC real or not!

Ps. The latest and most stable Merruk V2.5 #206 can be found from here and here but the latest modules are here.

Last edited:

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
most likely any oc is a placebo in 5360 - when I tested it I noticed no difference in performance
The phone may report its overclocked but most likely it isnt

Vohukain

Apr 3, 2014
most likely any oc is a placebo in 5360 - when I tested it I noticed no difference in performance

Can you tell me why they (OC) are placebo? Does it have something to with that bcm21553 has some lock code at 832Mhz? But why there are phone with same CPU at 1Ghz? If those phones are 1Ghz why s5360 cannot be oc atleast 1Ghz?

T968 : CPU: 32bit Broadcom
BCM21553, 1GHz
Alcatel OT979 3G WCDMA : CPU:
32bit Broadcom BCM21553, 1GHz

Edit:

Axiom 1.0 (1.2Ghz): Sources are from eve and people say it's not working --> Not working?
Eve.121_4 (1.2Ghz): Developer itself says "don't know its working or not" and people say it's not working --> Not working? (Any proofs bogoMIPS or FLOPS?)
Jarvis v2.2 #29 (1.2Ghz): People say it's not working --> Not working? (Any proofs bogoMIPS or FLOPS?)
Merruk 2.5 (1.2Ghz): Some people say that it is the only one working and some say it's not working --> Works? (Any proofs bogoMIPS or FLOPS?)
MerrukTechnology 2.0 PRE-FINAL (1024Mhz): I don't know
Merruk beta (OVERCLOCK SGY.zip) (900Mhz): People say it's not working but bogoMIPS shows 900.05 (tested myself) --> Works?

Last edited:
Reactions: mohamedrashad

mohamedrashad

Nov 15, 2012
ismailia
Can you tell me why they (OC) are placebo? Does it have something to with that bcm21553 has some lock code at 832Mhz? But why there are phone with same CPU at 1Ghz? If those phones are 1Ghz why s5360 cannot be oc atleast 1Ghz?

BCM21553, 1GHz

Because bcm_tweaks (or some file like this) lock the processor to 832

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Vohukain

Apr 3, 2014
Not nessessary

But overclocking only makes your phone dying LOL :p

You are wrong. OC may decrease your phones lifetime but manufacturers never push their products to their limits. There is always possibility to OC little bit but not too much. Too much OC will harm your phone. But we can do always something. Proof of that with bcm21553 is that there are phones with frequency 1Ghz by default.

Reactions: GalKill

GalKill

Oct 12, 2013
Reim Empire :P
You are wrong. OC may decrease your phones lifetime but manufacturers never push their products to their limits. There is always possibility to OC little bit but not too much. Too much OC will harm your phone. But we can do always something. Proof of that with bcm21553 is that there are phones with frequency 1Ghz by default.

But it is the best when your phone is operated with normal setting. Remmember, our phone is low end phone, everything is below average :( .

Vohukain

Apr 3, 2014
Proof it!

I have now read to whole development thead of merruk kernel. I figured out that there are only couple guys saying that oc is not working. Maroc-os and others never said that is not working. I'm not dev but I figured out that there was some problems with bcm21533 lock code (HW something) but I guess that mMroc-os made it (semi) working. So why people are saying that it's not working. Where are yours proof?

BryanByteZ

Apr 30, 2014

BCM21553, 1GHz

Edit:

Axiom 1.0 (1.2Ghz): Sources are from eve and people say it's not working --> Not working?
Eve.121_4 (1.2Ghz): Developer itself says "don't know its working or not" and people say it's not working --> Not working? (Any proofs bogoMIPS or FLOPS?)
Jarvis v2.2 #29 (1.2Ghz): People say it's not working --> Not working? (Any proofs bogoMIPS or FLOPS?)
Merruk 2.5 (1.2Ghz): Some people say that it is the only one working and some say it's not working --> Works? (Any proofs bogoMIPS or FLOPS?)
Merruk beta (OVERCLOCK SGY.zip) (900Mhz): People say it's not working but bogoMIPS shows 900.05 (tested myself) --> Works?

someone took into account what I said? Would not there a way to check the cpu clock? I tested the kernel merruk and Jarvis also both when applied 1248Mhz literally accelerate small GY.
Not so dev but if I remember well the only thing that prevents the oc Gy would not that file apuclock something? (remember that time does not move with the gy sources).

Simple way to check is first be at normal 832MHz and do a benchmark.
Then switch OC kernel and set OC at max. Do another benchmark.
DO NOT BLAME ME FOR ANYTHING BAD HAPPENED TO YOUR PHONE. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Compare both benchmark scores.
That will sort out the thing whether OC is real boost or just a placebo.

Vohukain

Apr 3, 2014
I would like to open this thead again now because Maroc-os is back! I have tested all these oc kernels and they are good, no doubt about that. Thanks to the devs! I'm just wondering that are they really overclocked over 832Mhz ? I mean they are great but is the faster performance effect due overclocked frequencies (over 832Mhz) or something else? It woudl be really nice if Maroc-os and other great devs would say something about it.

Here is the list of oc kernels (what I know):
- Axiom 1.0 (1.2Ghz)
- Eve.121_4 (1.2Ghz)
- Jarvis v2.2 #29 (1.2Ghz)
- Merruk 2.5 (1.2Ghz), MerrukTechnology 2.0 PRE-FINAL (1024Mhz), Merruk beta (OVERCLOCK SGY.zip) (900Mhz)
- eXtreme Kernel (1.0Ghz)

Ps. You can also "overclock" stock kernel and Savie #73 kernel to 900Mhz with merruk beta file. (check this post)

Last edited:

Vohukain

Apr 3, 2014
New poll added!

Hi! I added new poll and edited the first post. Please read whole OC story from the first post and vote! Thanks! :cowboy:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

BCM21553, 1GHz

Edit:

Not nessessary

But overclocking only makes your phone dying LOL :p