[Q] 100% Drained Lumia 900 Battery Will Not ReCharge

Search This thread

stevebor1

Apr 1, 2010
Yesterday I let my Lumia battery drain 100%, disregarding the warning that it was critically low. Eventually the screen no longer accepted touch gestures and it shutdown.

I plugged it into the wall charger and it now continuously boots, keys light up, white screen comes on and the charging battery (red) is displayed. A couple of minutes later it goes black, the Nokia logo comes up, then it sits on the At&t splash screen for 5 minutes and reboots. It has been doing this non-stop all night.

I have tried different chargers and even connected to my laptop. no luck.

I noticed on Nokia's site, people have been having this problem too, even with the 800. There is a few suggestions, but no solution.
Nokia site: Lumia 900 discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-900-wont-power-on-after-battery-drain-bricked/td-p/1374905

Nokia site: Lumia 800 discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-wont-power-on-or-charge/td-p/1225979/page/3
Bricked Lumia Blog noble-press.com/2012/04/lumia-900-review-progress/

Has anyone let their phone battery drain 100% and got it to charge back up?
Anyone having this same problem?

Reactions: peterfnet

lowlymarine

Sep 3, 2010
Orlando
I let my drain completely the other day and it charged back up just fine. Make sure you're using the supplied wall charger - it's actually rated at a higher amperage than most wall charges, 750 mA vs. 500 mA for most chargers.

idelgado782

Jul 29, 2008
Union, NJ
This happened to me the first day I hot the phone and was able to charge and turn and turn back on with no problems.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
Yesterday I let my Lumia battery drain 100%, disregarding the warning that it was critically low. Eventually the screen no longer accepted touch gestures and it shutdown.

I plugged it into the wall charger and it now continuously boots, keys light up, white screen comes on and the charging battery (red) is displayed. A couple of minutes later it goes black, the Nokia logo comes up, then it sits on the At&t splash screen for 5 minutes and reboots. It has been doing this non-stop all night.

I noticed on Nokia's site, people have been having this problem too, even with the 800. There is a few suggestions, but no solution.
Nokia site: Lumia 900 discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-900-wont-power-on-after-battery-drain-bricked/td-p/1374905

Nokia site: Lumia 800 discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-wont-power-on-or-charge/td-p/1225979/page/3

have you just let it sit for awhile...I mean more than 45 seconds? You drained the battery. You plugged it in. The default action on Windows Phone is to start when plugged into a power source. Obviously its not charged enough to sustain that action. Let it go at least 20 minutes....if not more. Some people here have mentioned it took 2 hrs for it successfully complete that cycle. And by all means, use the supplied charger, or, at least one that pumps out an equiv charge. Alot of those Amazon $1.99 specials, simply do not.

stevebor1

Apr 1, 2010
My Nokia Round wall plug actually was not working when I first got it, so I've been using my Blackberry and other usb's to charge, including just a usb to my Dell XPS 15 laptop.
Nokia is 5v 1A
Blackberry is 5v 700mA
Jawbone is 5v 550mA
Motorola Car Charger is 5v 950mA (I spend an hour in my car and same looping)

I have a replacement device coming either today or tomorrow because of the charger problem. Hopefully the new one will be able to charge this one so I can get my media off it.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006

Yes, it has happened before (there is a thread here) and I did witness my co-worker's phone went through the same thing. Unfortunately, for both cases, the only solution is get a replacement phone. In my co-worker's case, he used the Nokia charger charged it for many many hours to no avail.

So the bottom line is NEVER let your battery drain completely. You may ended up with a dead phone.

kkrull

Mar 3, 2006
Same Issue

My phone has the same issue. It can literally cycle from glow screen to battery icon screen to reboot for more than an hour. It happens with the supplied charger as well as my Samsung Focus charger. I find that I can hold the power button down after it has charged for a few minutes and it breaks the cycle and reboots properly.

stevebor1

Apr 1, 2010
Well I got my replacement Lumia 900 today. The wall charger is recognized by my old Lumia, however it is still doing the boot up loop and it hangs on the At&t screen when plugged in.
I will let it go for a few hours and see if anything happens. If nothing, I will try to do a hard reset and wipe all my data :( and see.

BooR4dley

Mar 8, 2011
I'm not sure that the labeling on the Nokia charger is accurate. I'm sure it is with regards to testing, but in practice my 900 will not charge at a rate higher than 650ma when plugged into that charger, however when plugged into my 2A touchpad charger it charges at rates of 850-900ma. Perhaps get yourself an aftermarket iPad charger, I think those have pretty high amperage and see what you get then.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
Well I got my replacement Lumia 900 today. The wall charger is recognized by my old Lumia, however it is still doing the boot up loop and it hangs on the At&t screen when plugged in.
I will let it go for a few hours and see if anything happens. If nothing, I will try to do a hard reset and wipe all my data :( and see.

You have hte keystroke combo for reset??? Should be done from a power off postion. Hopefully the charge is not too low to do this...

stevebor1

Apr 1, 2010
I have tried various key combos to reset, while in fully off and while on the logo and battery screens. After I hold for +20 sec and let go, it vibrates then tries to start up. None of these fixes anything. I am using Volume Down and Power Button.

So I left it on the replacement Lumia's charger overnight and it still sits on the at&t screen during boot. I also put it on a Apple iPhone charger, which it 5v 1A, and it eventually drained all the way to where only the keys would light up.

The one thing I noticed, is that the lumia responded differently to each charger. Some would get it to the batter screen, then reboot. Some would get it to the at&t screen, then reboot.

I tested the output of each charger by using the Nokia Diagnostics tool with my new Lumia. Most were 4.020~ volts and 200-400 mA, including the Apple charger.
The Lumia 900 charger rated around 4.020~ volts and 500-700 mA.
I have a Onda Android tablet charger that was 5.2v 1A, but rated at 4.065 volts and 700mA. That didn't work either.

...And now with my replacement lumia, I no longer have the loud rattle, but I do have the purple hue everyone is talking about. btw, the new one had the green dot on the box.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
I have tried various key combos to reset, while in fully off and while on the logo and battery screens. After I hold for +20 sec and let go, it vibrates then tries to start up. None of these fixes anything. I am using Volume Down and Power Button.

So I left it on the replacement Lumia's charger overnight and it still sits on the at&t screen during boot. I also put it on a Apple iPhone charger, which it 5v 1A, and it eventually drained all the way to where only the keys would light up.

The one thing I noticed, is that the lumia responded differently to each charger. Some would get it to the batter screen, then reboot. Some would get it to the at&t screen, then reboot.

I tested the output of each charger by using the Nokia Diagnostics tool with my new Lumia. Most were 4.020~ volts and 200-400 mA, including the Apple charger.
I have a Onda Android tablet charger that was 5.2v 1A, but rated at 4.065 volts and 700mA. That didn't work either.

...And now with my replacement lumia, I no longer have the loud rattle, but I do have the purple hue everyone is talking about. btw, the new one had the green dot on the box.

Try, from an off position, Vol Down +Camera...keep these down. Press power until the vibrate, then release. Keep the other 2 buttons down. Whenthe Nokia screenappears, you can release all buttons.

Works every time....queston is...do you have enough charge to allow this to occur.

There is a thread here on the button combo's. I started it, but there is alot of good feedback in the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: ted presley

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
Sounds like OP's Lumia behaves exactly like my co-worker's. No button combo will work to reset the phone.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
Sounds like OP's Lumia behaves exactly like my co-worker's. No button combo will work to reset the phone.

button combo is not the only thing important. Its sequence and starting postion.

If the phone is on, turn it off. If its frozen, hold the power button until it turns off...about 10 seconds or so.

Once off, then the combination Vol Down+ Camera. Hold these until told to release.

Touch the power button to turn on...release at the vibrations...

Continuing to hold the Vol Down+Camera, wait until the Nokia screen. Then you can release. You'll be put through the setup sequence again.

Works every time, like a charm, but, the phone must be off.

Reactions: romeo0119

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
button combo is not the only thing important. Its sequence and starting postion.

If the phone is on, turn it off. If its frozen, hold the power button until it turns off...about 10 seconds or so.

Once off, then the combination Vol Down+ Camera. Hold these until told to release.

Continuing to hold the Vol Down+Camera, wait until the Nokia screen. Then you can release. You'll be put through the setup sequence again.

Yeah we did exactly that. Doesn't help. It doesn't work for every phone. Just like some L900s can be charged up and boot normally. Some can never recover. The manufacturing quality of Lumia 900 with so many variations of bugs should put Nokia in shame. I personally have to exchange mine because of the random capacity button issue.

So that is 2 for 2 in my own observations.

stevebor1

Apr 1, 2010
Well I must say adieu to this phone and my pictures. Nothing seemed to work, so I sent it back.

Holding Power and the Camera button got me to the "download mode", Zune opened, and I then tried to restore to previous version, however it decided to reboot 30% into the process. Most likely due to it not having enough charge.

I got my SkyDrive set up on the new device. So no more losing any data if something fails again.

ATHORNFAM2

Feb 29, 2012
Harrisburg
i would have to agree with the guy that posted second the phone is rated for a higher powered charger. but i would try looking at the specs of the wall charger amps and watts see if thats correct for the phone and if thats true try looking into the usb port on the phone for dust and lint. maybe even try another battery

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
i would have to agree with the guy that posted second the phone is rated for a higher powered charger. but i would try looking at the specs of the wall charger amps and watts see if thats correct for the phone and if thats true try looking into the usb port on the phone for dust and lint. maybe even try another battery

Psst....for which phone? You know the Lumia does not have a removable battery? I hate when you guys test us like this....:p

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Well I must say adieu to this phone and my pictures. Nothing seemed to work, so I sent it back.

Holding Power and the Camera button got me to the "download mode", Zune opened, and I then tried to restore to previous version, however it decided to reboot 30% into the process. Most likely due to it not having enough charge.

I got my SkyDrive set up on the new device. So no more losing any data if something fails again.

YOu know its volume down + camera from an off position that resets this thing...right???

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas

The wall charger is 5v 1 amp... nothing special there. My HTC chargers all handled that and were easily more.

Zhariak

Aug 5, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Creepy,

Same thing happened to me.

Using phone, the battery was ultra low, figured I'd plug it in when it started to complain, but never received any messages. The phone just turned off.

Plugged it in:
1) 5 minutes, screen didn't come on
2) Out nowhere, backlight turns on for a minute
3) backlight turns off for 4 minutes
4) I unplug it, as I do it vibrates and backlight turns on
5) plug it back in, backlight turns off
6) 5 minutes later, battery image shows up on screen in red, disapeers after a minute
7) Phone sat for 5 minutes doing nothing, I unplug and plug back in, it turns on, goes to the battery on screen again for 10 minutes.
8) Finally Windows Phone starts up, it starts presenting battery errors (even though it's plugged in). Finally after 60 seconds it makes the plugging in sound, and starts charging.

I google'd and found this thread! Weird!

Another thing I noticed, is even when battery is fine, and you plug it in there's a delay before device recognizes it. Seems like there's something going on between hardware and software, just like the delay with the touchscreen (which is aggravating)...

Any word on this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Creepy,

Same thing happened to me.

Using phone, the battery was ultra low, figured I'd plug it in when it started to complain, but never received any messages. The phone just turned off.

Plugged it in:
    1) 5 minutes, screen didn't come on
    2) Out nowhere, backlight turns on for a minute
    3) backlight turns off for 4 minutes
    4) I unplug it, as I do it vibrates and backlight turns on
    5) plug it back in, backlight turns off
    6) 5 minutes later, battery image shows up on screen in red, disapeers after a minute
    7) Phone sat for 5 minutes doing nothing, I unplug and plug back in, it turns on, goes to the battery on screen again for 10 minutes.
    8) Finally Windows Phone starts up, it starts presenting battery errors (even though it's plugged in). Finally after 60 seconds it makes the plugging in sound, and starts charging.

I google'd and found this thread! Weird!

Another thing I noticed, is even when battery is fine, and you plug it in there's a delay before device recognizes it. Seems like there's something going on between hardware and software, just like the delay with the touchscreen (which is aggravating)...

Any word on this?

Try, from an off position, Vol Down +Camera...keep these down. Press power until the vibrate, then release. Keep the other 2 buttons down. Whenthe Nokia screenappears, you can release all buttons.

Works every time....queston is...do you have enough charge to allow this to occur.

There is a thread here on the button combo's. I started it, but there is alot of good feedback in the thread.

Is there a link for those tools?

In the Developer section for the lumia 900 there is this post from supersport:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1605144

The nokia care suite is what I am talking about.