[Q] Dynamic custom recovery

Search This thread

Gromlakh

Aug 7, 2011
Is there a way to dynamically load/use a custom recovery on an Andoid phone (generally, any phone) without actually having to overwrite the phone's stock recovery? For example, by booting to stock recovery, flashing a zip file that will start up CWM/TWRP so you can use it temporarily, but stock recovery is still there and when you reboot the phone it will still be there? Sort of like using a Linux live cd.

Because I figure someone will probably ask, I'm asking about this because I have a phone that I want to get into that is protected by a pattern lock. I haven't examined it yet, but I am strongly expecting:

- No root
- No custom recovery
- No ADB debugging enabled

I know I can bypass the pattern lock from CWM/TWRP (rm /data/system/gesture.key)...but I would prefer to not have to do an overwrite of the recovery partition if it can be avoided. And whether or not this ends up being needed for this phone, it will be good to know for future reference.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Is there a way to dynamically load/use a custom recovery on an Andoid phone (generally, any phone) without actually having to overwrite the phone's stock recovery? For example, by booting to stock recovery, flashing a zip file that will start up CWM/TWRP so you can use it temporarily, but stock recovery is still there and when you reboot the phone it will still be there? Sort of like using a Linux live cd.

Because I figure someone will probably ask, I'm asking about this because I have a phone that I want to get into that is protected by a pattern lock. I haven't examined it yet, but I am strongly expecting:

- No root
- No custom recovery
- No ADB debugging enabled

I know I can bypass the pattern lock from CWM/TWRP (rm /data/system/gesture.key)...but I would prefer to not have to do an overwrite of the recovery partition if it can be avoided. And whether or not this ends up being needed for this phone, it will be good to know for future reference.

Only recoveries like that are along the lines of SafeStrap, but is device specific and you already have to be rooted and booted into the OS to install that one. So, for what you need, no.

Gromlakh

Aug 7, 2011

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Ah. I didn't think of that because usually you have to unlock the bootloader to do that, which on most phones also wipe them, void the warranty, and often leave some kind of marker that would be obvious. But it depends on the phone still. And it's not uncommon for those things to be disabled on updates too. Also, Samsungs don't have fastboot at all, so that wouldn't be an option for any of them.

Last edited: