Change the Camera Photo Naming Convention

Search This thread

zhuozhi211

Sep 19, 2008
For some reason, Sony and a few other manufacturers insist on the photo naming convention the same as their digital camera lines e.g. DSC_001.jpg, DSC_002.jpg etc, as compared to the more meaningful date-time format e.g. 20140502_131510.jpg. This may pose problem if you are an active ROM flasher, or if you backup the photos to a common NAS or on cloud with multiple devices, as the file names may clash. Sorting files by name will be useless too, though you may sort it by exif, you cant do the same on video files.

This had bugged me for years, and I'm glad there is finally an app to solve this problem - DSC Auto Rename - it will automatically rename the photos and videos into date time format after they are taken.

If you are on KitKat and save your photos on SD card, you will need Root and SDFix as well.

Last edited:

martan1981

Mar 6, 2006
Bratislava
I fought with the same problem. Now I use DropboxI for several years, which solves all issues I once had. It renames the files to format you mentioned and also automatically uploads, so they just appear on my PC without any cables.

scottiepp

Jan 17, 2006
For some reason, Sony and a few other manufacturers insist on the photo naming convention the same as their digital camera lines e.g. DSC_001.jpg, DSC_002.jpg etc, as compared to the more meaningful date-time format e.g. 20140502_131510.jpg. This may pose problem if you are an active ROM flasher, or if you backup the photos to a common NAS or on cloud with multiple devices, as the file names may clash. Sorting files by name will be useless too, though you may sort it by exif, you cant do the same on video files.

This had bugged me for years, and I'm glad there is finally an app to solve this problem - DSC Auto Rename - it will automatically rename the photos and videos into date time format after they are taken.

If you are on KitKat and save your photos on SD card, you will need Root and SDFix as well.

Excellent app, Thanks for sharing!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.