[Q] Rooted and now having trouble flashing VZW roms??

Search This thread

drumrjoe

Oct 26, 2009
I bought a rooted gs3 on EBAY...

It is running liquidsmooth rom.. I have tried flashing some other VZW roms (esp. want to try out kit-kat roms) and I get an error during the flashing process..

See attached image...

Did I get taken on Ebay??? Not sure what I am doing wrong...

Thanks in advance for any help

Drumrjoe

Last edited:

drumrjoe

Oct 26, 2009
The photo isn't loading on my end. What was the error message?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I just reloaded and the image is showing now, but here is what concerns me about the error msg:

"This package is for "d2vzw" devices: This is a "d2spr".

I was sold a verizon SCH-I535..

The sticker under the battery says it's a SCH-I535

so i am a little confused by the error msg during the flashing process

ProtheusIRC

Apr 4, 2012
Thomasville
You're on Sprint?

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

That's a Sprint S3 and you're trying to flash a Verizon ROM to it. That's the problem lol.

drumrjoe

Oct 26, 2009
nope, I am on verizon

and trying to flash a vzw rom

You're on Sprint?

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

That's a Sprint S3 and you're trying to flash a Verizon ROM to it. That's the problem lol.

ProtheusIRC

Apr 4, 2012
Thomasville
You are mistaken. Your recovery stated "This package is for 'd2vzw' devices; this is a 'd2spr'". Your phone is Sprint, my friend...

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Go to Settings, About Phone, and look at the model number.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Either it's your build.prop OR its the recovery cuz that's an outdated CWM. You'll need to update it to at least CWM 6.0.4.x to flash any KitKat rom. Just triple check that you see SCH-I535 d2vzw in the build.prop (which is in /System) before going further. I find it hard to believe the seller perfectly replaced the sticker behind the battery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

drumrjoe

Oct 26, 2009
ok, Now I am really confused!

Please see pics I just took.

Also, thank you very much for your help!

You are mistaken. Your recovery stated "This package is for 'd2vzw' devices; this is a 'd2spr'". Your phone is Sprint, my friend...

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Go to Settings, About Phone, and look at the model number.

ProtheusIRC

Apr 4, 2012
Thomasville
That is weird. It could be the build.prop or out dated cwm. What version of CWM are you running?

Stranger_84

Nov 19, 2012
north baltimore
The cwm recovery is too outdated needs to be the latest to flash 4.4 ... But yes odd statement by the recovery failure

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: GMPOWER

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
ok, Now I am really confused!

Please see pics I just took.

Also, thank you very much for your help!

Could be mistaken, but that looks like a knockoff s3 to me.

edit: Sticker looks wrong (no samsung logo), just doesn't look right and it's not making sense why it's acting like that. If you bought the phone for cheap on Ebay then it makes sense for it to be a fake. Fake one looks very similar to the real thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mikeman45

Oct 15, 2012
I would say Update your recovery to a newer version of CWM, TWRP, or Philz.

Sent from my Wicked GS3

DiSiD

Oct 25, 2013
I have 2 s3's that I purchased from Verizon directly. I would have never compared stickers but for your question. For your reference, here's what the stickers look like.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391023049409.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391023049409.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: mikeman45

DiSiD

Oct 25, 2013
Did you put the black part on your sticker? I crossed out the imei and bar code on mine, but yours definitely looks different. That information should be visible to you on yours (don't share it here if it is). If you didn't put that on there I'd almost guarantee something fishy about that seller our the phones origin.

Reactions: mikeman45

ProtheusIRC

Apr 4, 2012
Thomasville
Could be mistaken, but that looks like a knockoff s3 to me.

edit: Sticker looks wrong (no samsung logo), just doesn't look right and it's not making sense why it's acting like that. If you bought the phone for cheap on Ebay then it makes sense for it to be a fake. Fake one looks very similar to the real thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Usually the knock offs don't have Samsung at the top though. Definitely something fishy.

DiSiD

Oct 25, 2013
I don't know what your plans are for this phone now, but I was just thinking, they are building roms for d2lte (I tried cm11 and vanir, both kitkat). The d2lte builds are the same for all carriers, meaning you don't have to select a Rom file specific for your carrier. Maybe try flashing one of those? imho, vanir is pretty sweet.

Reactions: drumrjoe

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
LS 2.37 a good rom.. Like the above post stated now they making an universal build LTE. This reminds me of the fones u win at those 50cent or dollar machine at stores. Knock off samsung fones

drumrjoe

Oct 26, 2009
I would say Update your recovery to a newer version of CWM, TWRP, or Philz.

Sent from my Wicked GS3

Thanks everyone for the help!

I updated my recovery and now all is good.... Well I think so anyway..

I have been able to flash OmniRom and Cyanogen without anymore problems..

Wondering if I got a refurb or a grey market I535?

I haven't put my sim card in yet to activate phone...

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
Thats good to hear.. Maybe a knockoff fone. But as long it works and u can make calls txt etc then thats good

drumrjoe

Oct 26, 2009
Did you put the black part on your sticker? I crossed out the imei and bar code on mine, but yours definitely looks different. That information should be visible to you on yours (don't share it here if it is). If you didn't put that on there I'd almost guarantee something fishy about that seller our the phones origin.

Yes, I blacked out the sticker myself in paint.net.. Didn't want to put out any identifying info that shouldn't be out there

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The cwm recovery is too outdated needs to be the latest to flash 4.4 ... But yes odd statement by the recovery failure

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I have 2 s3's that I purchased from Verizon directly. I would have never compared stickers but for your question. For your reference, here's what the stickers look like.

I don't know what your plans are for this phone now, but I was just thinking, they are building roms for d2lte (I tried cm11 and vanir, both kitkat). The d2lte builds are the same for all carriers, meaning you don't have to select a Rom file specific for your carrier. Maybe try flashing one of those? imho, vanir is pretty sweet.

LS 2.37 a good rom.. Like the above post stated now they making an universal build LTE. This reminds me of the fones u win at those 50cent or dollar machine at stores. Knock off samsung fones