Can't make calls, data and sms/mms works fine

Search This thread

rynfrnk

Jun 6, 2012
As the title suggests, suddenly I started getting force closes with com.android.phone when I'd receive a call. I immediately tried to call out, same story. I've been troubleshooting for the past few hours, and had no luck finding anything relevant on XDA or any other site.

Firstly I switched kernels, since I'd updated to DSB's latest, though I'd had no issues with it until then. That failed, so I reverted to Viper's stock build.prop, undoing some changed I'd been running for a while (and hadn't modified at all today).
With no luck there, I backed up my sdcard and did a full factory reset and formatted the sdcard in twrp and then in cwm, followed by a reinstall of the latest Viper ROM. Even that didn't work, so I relocked and RUU'd back. Twice. Same exact issue. I can text anyone just fine, data over LTE goes on as normal, but anytime I try to make a call, be it with the stock dialer or through a diff one from the play store (for kicks, last resort). I reseated the SIM card a multitude of times, to no avail. I get full functionality with my SIM in my other phone, so I'm sure it must be the hardware itself on the phone. Every time com.android.phone stops, the SIM initialization happens like when you physically re-seat the SIM.
The troubling thing is that I haven't done anything, save for a simple kernel and recovery update, which would've been negated by two RUU runs to stock. I haven't touched the SIM card or anything, at least until that started happening. Furthermore confusing is how all other functionality can remain except for actually making phone calls.
Removing the SIM entirely and dialing a number does the exact same thing, just as an FYI.

Has anyone seen this? Any ideas?
As I've unlocked my phone, my last resort is to go into a VZW store and act like an idiot so they don't check to see if i unlocked it. Further complicating that is the fact that the DNA was actually purchased on my own account, which I closed, and brought to an unlimited data line that was preexisting. I'm half tempted to wait for the official OTA and see if that will remedy the issue, but my fear is this may be a physical issue beyond the remedy of a firmware update.

ergotelis

Apr 5, 2012
Crete
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2126386

Check this thread, me and another member faced the same problem. I can get 3g/2g data, sms and all other functions just right. Just no phonecalls, every time i make a call i get a crash of the app.
So, i am pretty sure this is a software bug. For god's sake, what a strange problem!Did your phone used to work right?
I bought my phone from ebay, did not check if phonecalls are working(i couldn't imagine such a bug) and went straight away to rooting/other kernels/roms etc. But can't find a solution too,tried everything as you, and the worst, i am overseas!!!

Is the update coming soon?

edit1: i have seen lots of threads about sim errors,a very common issue of DNA, i am believing that these two bugs have something in common. No hardware defect, just software bugs.

Last edited:

rynfrnk

Jun 6, 2012
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2126386

Check this thread, me and another member faced the same problem. I can get 3g/2g data, sms and all other functions just right. Just no phonecalls, every time i make a call i get a crash of the app.
So, i am pretty sure this is a software bug. For god's sake, what a strange problem!Did your phone used to work right?
I bought my phone from ebay, did not check if phonecalls are working(i couldn't imagine such a bug) and went straight away to rooting/other kernels/roms etc. But can't find a solution too,tried everything as you, and the worst, i am overseas!!!

Is the update coming soon?

edit1: i have seen lots of threads about sim errors,a very common issue of DNA, i am believing that these two bugs have something in common. No hardware defect, just software bugs.

thanks for the thread, for the life of me i couldn't find anything exactly relating to what i described. that is spot on though, and def makes me feel a bit more at ease that maybe it can be resolved with an update to the firmware that's due soon.
yea, the funny thing is that it worked flawlessly, i never even got the SIM error message, i'd been texting my gf, a few friends, and my parents and then my pops called in the evening and it immediately closed out the call before it really even rang. i called him right back and that's when the force closes started happening, calls never working agian thereafter. however, i was able to still text everyone i was before and data was working flawlessly as always, just no calls, not even after all the crap i did to troubleshoot.

the update is hopefully going to be out soon. the support documents came out a few days ago. i def can't survive on this galaxy nexus after having used my DNA since launch!

ergotelis

Apr 5, 2012
Crete
I will wait for the update too, hopefully it will be uploaded today or tomorrow i think. But just because i can't get on the air update, i need to download from a server the update and install it on my own.
If anyone finds a solution or have an idea of what to look/do, please post here. I am pretty sure it is a software bug, something is stucking the application from working properly. The other solution is RMA, but it is a very difficult to send it back and get it back again.

ergotelis

Apr 5, 2012
Crete
I will wait for the update too, hopefully it will be uploaded today or tomorrow i think. But just because i can't get on the air update, i need to download from a server the update and install it on my own.
If anyone finds a solution or have an idea of what to look/do, please post here. I am pretty sure it is a software bug, something is stucking the application from working properly. The other solution is RMA, but it is a very difficult to send it back and get it back again.

The update is out now, can someone send it to me too? I am overseas, trying to find a way to download it.

OP, can you test this one to see if you get a fix?Thanks!!!

msturner79

Feb 14, 2011
Ok, I had the same exact issue. I was stock then went to viper Dna then tried going to hatka and soft bricked my phone. I went back to stock using the RUU. That's when I got the com. Android. Phone crash message. So I had to re unlock reboot and then flash viper Dna again. Everything works as it should now.

After saying all that I just got the new update from Verizon. I assume I shouldn't flash this since I'm on a custom rom.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Reactions: ergotelis

ergotelis

Apr 5, 2012
Crete
Thanks for the input, really interesting!Will try it right away! Hope you won't have any problems with the update now!

ergotelis

Apr 5, 2012
Crete
Ok, I had the same exact issue. I was stock then went to viper Dna then tried going to hatka and soft bricked my phone. I went back to stock using the RUU. That's when I got the com. Android. Phone crash message. So I had to re unlock reboot and then flash viper Dna again. Everything works as it should now.

THIS IS THE SOLUTION!Now working! A HUGE HUGE HUGE THANKS TO YOU!!!! :victory::D

Reactions: kaliblazin707

tonettothebest

Oct 12, 2011
THIS IS THE SOLUTION!Now working! A HUGE HUGE HUGE THANKS TO YOU!!!! :victory::D

Hi guys i got a similar problem. My DNA was perfect since yesterday but now i can use data connection for internet. All the other stuff is working fine....SMS,call, wifi, the only thing that is not working is the 3g data. All of this problem came when i flashed the viper DNA, so i flashed the supercharged hoping it was an issue of the rom. Olso with the supercharged the problem was always here.... So i decide to came back to stock and i re-lock my bootloader and flasched stock RUU. But data connection is still not working :crying:

can anyone please tell me what can i do?

Last edited:

ergotelis

Apr 5, 2012
Crete
flash again the viper rom, do the whole procedure again, at least this is what i did and fixed the problem!(stock->viper->stock-> viper and then OK)

jimmydee62

Feb 7, 2011
Allen
hard problem

Has any one figured out this problem? I have not been able to received any phone calls since I did s-off. I have tried everything that has been wrote so with no luck. I have relocked my phone and flashed stock RUU no change. Unlocked and tried several roms still no calls. formatted everything under CWM not change. Fixed permissions. Went back and re-locked and reflashed stock RUU. I know that some of the things above have fixed others phones and some still have problems. I also found a script someone wrote lock my phone which now it says locked and flashed stock rom after that still have problem. Does anyone here here a idea that I have not already mentione above? I like my droid dna but if I can't get it to make and take calls it is a paperweight.:crying:

Reactions: kaliblazin707

kaliblazin707

Dec 18, 2010
Has any one figured out this problem? I have not been able to received any phone calls since I did s-off. I have tried everything that has been wrote so with no luck. I have relocked my phone and flashed stock RUU no change. Unlocked and tried several roms still no calls. formatted everything under CWM not change. Fixed permissions. Went back and re-locked and reflashed stock RUU. I know that some of the things above have fixed others phones and some still have problems. I also found a script someone wrote lock my phone which now it says locked and flashed stock rom after that still have problem. Does anyone here here a idea that I have not already mentione above? I like my droid dna but if I can't get it to make and take calls it is a paperweight.:crying:

Still broke?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

After saying all that I just got the new update from Verizon. I assume I shouldn't flash this since I'm on a custom rom.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

hard problem